Goodreads Status Update Writing Contest discussion

Official Rules & Deadlines > ENTER THE CONTEST HERE (now closed)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 134 (134 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Jessica (last edited Feb 25, 2009 11:08AM) (new)

Jessica | 34 comments Mod
* Post in this topic to enter the contest. Your entry post must state the date and time of day you will begin your story. If you do not post in this topic, we will never know your story happened!

* ATTENTION: Twitter users. Please post a link to your Twitter account AND the starting date/time of your story. All story posts on Twitter must start with #goodreads.

* Remember, all stories must be posted before March 1, 2009.

* Stories pasted into this topic are INELIGIBLE. Stories must be posted via status updates or Twitter. BEFORE ENTERING, PLEASE READ the Contest Rules AND Instructions!

Good luck and happy writing!

message 2: by Janelle (new)

Janelle (nellebabe) My story will begin on 2/21/09 at 9am. Thanks!

message 3: by Alicia (new)

Alicia (missparker) | 1 comments My story will commence on 2/17/09 at Noon.

message 4: by Faryn (new)

Faryn (faryn_katz) | 1 comments My story will begin 2/14/09 between 6 and 7 AM. Looking forward to it!

message 5: by Adrianna (new)

Adrianna Buonarroti | 1 comments February 15, 10 am. Watch for it.

message 6: by Linda (new)

Linda Aull (lgaull) | 1 comments My story will begin 2/11/09 at 4:00 p.m.

message 7: by Bruce (new)

Bruce (deadwoodpete) | 1 comments My story begins now. I have been waiting to say this for a long time.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

My story will begin 2/13/09 at 3:00 p.m

message 9: by Gilee (new)

Gilee (gileegirl) | 1 comments My story will begin on 2/16/09 at 10:00 a.m. EST.

message 10: by David (new)

David (gojiro) | 4 comments My story will begin 2/15/09 at 1:00 PM EST.

message 11: by Charyza (new)

Charyza (chz8) february 14th, 12pm... valentine's day afterwards :)

message 12: by Molly (new)

Molly | 1 comments My story will begin February 23 at 9AM

*Kin-Kin* Risks that are worth taking (MrsKinaraDarcy) | 2 comments My story will begin: February 28, 12 am. Yeah midnight. Stay updated and enjoy!

message 14: by P.M. (last edited Feb 13, 2009 10:46AM) (new)

P.M. (novelist) | 2 comments I am entering the contest February 13th at 12:30 pm CST. I made some false starts before this.

message 15: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen Celmins (kathleencelmins) | 1 comments My story will begin on Monday, February 16 at 9am.

message 16: by Elyse (last edited Feb 13, 2009 08:30AM) (new)

Elyse | 1 comments Edit: You know what? I think my story would best be written on Valentine's Day. I changed my mind.

My story will begin on February 14, early morning.

message 17: by Darren (new)

Darren | 1 comments My story will begin... sometime soon and I will post the date and time then.

message 18: by Laurence (new)

Laurence (laurencechriqui) | 1 comments My story will begin Thursday, February 19th at 7:15 am.

message 19: by Sketching (new)

Sketching (sketchingsesawi) | 3 comments My story will begin Wednesday, February 25th at noon.

message 20: by Melanie Wilson (new)

Melanie Wilson | 1 comments My story will start Friday the 20th at 7am.

message 21: by Shalaka (new)

Shalaka | 1 comments My story will begin on Saturday February 21 at 9am.

message 22: by Mimi (new)

Mimi | 1 comments My story will start february 19 at 10am

message 23: by Erin (new)

Erin (ernsnow) My story begins 2/26 approx. 8am

message 24: by Crysta (new)

Crysta (barefairy) | 1 comments My story begins 2/18

message 25: by Paula (new)

Paula McConnell (paulamcconnell) | 2 comments I have been writing a haiku everyday and posting it to twitter in the morning, typically ~10:00 AM. I will continue to do this and count it as my contest entry. Will that do?

message 26: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (juniperfk) | 5 comments How do we read these stories? Do we click on the person's name? Can those who don't join this group vote? If so, how do they get to the stories?

*Kin-Kin* Risks that are worth taking (MrsKinaraDarcy) | 2 comments Change of plans! February 18, 2009... Still gonna start at midnight. Enjoy...

message 28: by Audrey (new)

Audrey | 1 comments I'll start mine on 2/20/09 at around 3.

message 29: by Miles (new)

Miles (miles_decoster) | 1 comments I will start Sunday, Feb 22 at 11 am. (Crack of dawn as far as I am concerned!)

message 30: by Emmy (new)

Emmy (emmythist) | 1 comments My story will start Wednesday, Feb 18 at 10 am

message 31: by Felicia (new)

Felicia (nightstarz) my story will start today

message 32: by Paula Pescatello (new)

Paula Pescatello | 3 comments My story will start Wednesday, Feb 18 at 9:35 am

message 33: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennifertiger13) | 4 comments My story will begin i think today in a hour so ...
My story will begin at Feb.18 at 10:30am EST

message 34: by Shelli (new)

Shelli | 1 comments My story will begin on Friday February 18th at 6:35am.

message 35: by Chloeq32 (new)

Chloeq32 | 1 comments My story begins February 18th at 4 pm

message 36: by Eden (new)

Eden Victoria | 1 comments My story begins February 18th at 9:30 a.m.

message 37: by Loretta (new)

Loretta (lorettamarielong) | 1 comments My story begins on February 23 at 1 pm

message 38: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennifertiger13) | 4 comments Meteors!
By: Jennifer Cui
"Don't you think those meteors are beautiful?" We were at the annual Meteor shower festival with my brother Peter sitting on a blanket (Peter likes Pete for short). My name is Anglie, when I was a year and a half and my brother was three our mother got very sick and died. Five years later my dad was coming home from a business trip and was planning to pick Pete and me from our babysitter. He got into a car accident on the way and died.
Ever since, Pete and I have been living in an orphanage called St. Kanniso. Now Pete is 12 and I’m 10 and a half. Pete’s still mad about everything though I got over it. Then I looked up, a meteor was headed straight for us! “Run!” I screamed. Pete and I ran for our lives leaving the blanket behind. Right after we got about 15 feet out of the way the meteor struck down. Pete and I exchanged glances.
“Do you want to go take a look at that meteor?” Pete asked me.
“Let’s wait a while until it cools down.” I replied. Pete just nodded. We waited; 15 minutes passed then 20. Finally at 25 minutes, we went to take a look at that meteor.
The meteor was smooth in some places, then bumpy in another. It had holes scattered all around it, it really was beautiful!
“Pete, do you think this meteor came to us for a reason?”
“Not sure Anglie.”
“Well what should we do with it?”
“We could try to break off a couple of pieces and bring it to the orphanage.”
“That’s a good idea.”
It took us ten minutes to get two medium sized chunks off.
“Do you want more?” I asked Pete.
“Yea, let’s take a couple more, just in case.” So we took three more.
“Pete, Anglie! We’re going, come on!” That was the orphanage’s house keeper, Lucy. She brought us here to see the meteors, Pete and I wrapped the chunks of the meteor in my bandana and raced to the car. Lucy was so tired she didn’t even notice the missing blanket.
Once we got back to St. Kanniso’s Orphanage, Pete and I unwrapped the meteor chunks in our room with the door locked of course. I got out my magnify glass Lucy bought me on my eighth birthday.
“Why don’t we see what’s in the meteor?” I asked Pete.
“Sure,” Pete replied.
We took turns looking through the magnify glass.
“There’s iron in it!” Pete said.
How do you know?” I asked curiously.
“Because Ms. Leventon told us rocks have a lot of minerals in them, and most of them have iron in them.”
“That doesn’t explain how this does have iron in it.”
“I guess you’re right, let’s go visit Ms. Leventon tomorrow and ask her.”
“Right, let’s ask Lucy first thing tomorrow morning.”
And with the rocks safely under the bed and that conversation hanging over their heads they quietly drifted to sleep.
The next day I woke up and Pete was already up.
“Hey when did you wake up?”
“No time for that Anglie, someone was here when we were sleeping.”
“What? How? The door was locked!”
“Yea, but Lucy has a key that opens every door in this orphanage!:
“You don’t think Lucy went into our room, do you?”
“No way, Lucy always had a habit to knock on a door before she enters and she never bothers anyone when they’re sleeping.”
“So someone got a hold of Lucy’s key. Did the intruder steal anything?”
“Not sure, check if the five chunks of the meteor is still there!”
I checked under my bed and took out my wrapped bandana.
“Yup, all five chunks!” I told Pete.
“Good, let’s tell Lucy about the intruder, the meteor, and ask her if we can go visit Ms. Leventon.”
I nodded and we left with the meteor chunks.
“Lucy, can Anglie and I go visit Ms. Leventon today?”
“What for Pete?”
“Uh, just visit and ask her something important.”
“Hmm, okay fine.”
“Great, thanks we’ll go get ready.”
Pete and I got ready in two minutes. We got into the car with Lucy all in a grand total of five minutes.
When we got to Ms. Leventon’s house we told Lucy to come back to pick us up in a half-hour. We waited until Lucy’s car was out of sight and raced into Ms. Leventon’s house. We rang the door bell and Ms. Leventon popped out.
“Why isn’t this a surprise?” Ms. Leventon exclaimed.
“Good morning Ms. Leventon,” Pete and I chorused.
“Come in, come in!”
As Pete and I walked into her house, she asked us what we were doing there.
“Oh, well you know the meteor shower that happened yesterday?” I asked.
“Yes, I went to that it was marvelous.”
“Well a meteor almost hit Pete and me.”
“Oh my! Are you children alright?”
“We’re fine, we got out of the way just in time.” Pete said.
“Anyways, the meteor landed and we got a couple of chunks of it and we were wondering if there was iron in them.”
“Well let me look here,” she took one of the meteor chunks and looked at it with a microscope. “Yes it does, and what do we have here?” Ms. Leventon said suspiciously. “Oh my gosh! Do you children know what you have here?”
“No,” I said innocently
“Not a clue” Pete said
“There is gold dust in here!”
“Really? Let us see!”
Ms.Leventon showed us with the microscope; sure enough in the meteor chucks there were gold dust, a few sprinkles every now and then.
“Awesome! So if we sold these we could make a fortune!” Pete exclaimed.
“Well yes you very well could sell these rocks and get a grand total of about three thousand dollars!” Ms.Leventon told us .
“Cool! Pete tomorrow we can sell these if we get Lucy’s permission!” I almost shrieked.
“Great, we’ll ask Lucy when she comes to pick us up.”
Five minutes later, Lucy came to pick us up. “Hey Lucy, we forgot to tell you that there was an intruder last night in our bedroom.” I said worriedly.
“Oh, um, I know I should’ve told you, but I thought you might get mad.”
“Tell us what?” Pete asked.
“Okay, the thing is that I came into your room to check on you because I heard some murmuring so I kind of peeked around to see if everything was ok.”
“Oh, well that’s okay, because we have news to tell you.” I said excitedly.
“What?” Lucy asked curiously.
While Pete and I told her about the meteor and Ms. Leventon, Lucy was quiet all through the story. Once we got home Lucy told us that we could sell them tomorrow but she said to us something important so we listened carefully.
“Anglie, Pete,” said Lucy.
“Yes…” we said unsurely.
“When you were gone, a couple came to the orphanage to adopt a little brother and sister pair and you two were the only ones so I told them to come two hours later. So they will be here in one hour, their names are Mrs. and Mr. Ransal.”
Pete and I just stood there in shock.
“Anglie? Pete?” Lucy waved her hand in front of our faces like we were sleep walking.
“I can’t believe it.” I managed to whisper. “How could they?” I raised my voice a little higher, “you know Pete and I never wanted another so called mom and dad. After what happened to our real parents, and what we suffered it’s just not right!”
I discovered I was crying when I felt my cheeks were wet. “We won’t go,” Pete said firmly. He put an arm around me and talked to me soothingly as we walked back to our room. Forty-five minutes passed and Lucy came to our door, she knocked three times.
“Go away!” Pete and I shouted.
“Look, Mr. and Mrs. Ransal came five minutes ago and I sent them away,” Lucy said.
Pete and I wasn’t sure if she was lying, so Pete went to open the door. Lucy walked in and sat down on my bed.
“I thought about what you said Anglie, and well, when Mr. and Mrs. Ransal came I told them that you two didn’t want to go and they didn’t argue, they just said ‘we tried’ and left.”
I couldn’t believe my ears, and before I could stop myself, I was hugging Lucy and saying thank you a million times! After thirty seconds, Pete joined in the hugging as well.

message 39: by Felicia (new)

Felicia (nightstarz) make that today..not yesteday

message 40: by Kristy (new)

Kristy | 1 comments My story will begin Friday, February 20 at 8pm CST.

message 41: by Bj (last edited Feb 18, 2009 06:26PM) (new)

Bj | 1 comments My story will start on Friday, February 20th, 9am PST>

message 42: by Abby (new)

Abby | 2 comments my story will start rite now.

message 43: by Abby (new)

Abby | 2 comments My story will start 2/18/09 9:45.

message 44: by Casey (new)

Casey | 2 comments My story begins 2/27/08 at 11:59 p.m.

message 45: by Casey (new)

Casey | 2 comments Oh, I suppose I should include the link: http://twitter.com/livelifeslemons

message 46: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 1 comments My story will begin on February 20 at 9:30 am and is dedicated to Daisy (May 25, 1993 - February 13, 2009).

message 47: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 1 comments My story starts right now- Thursday 2/19, 9:30 am.

message 48: by Tejumade (new)

Tejumade (tejumayde) | 1 comments My story will begin on 2/26/09 at 10:00am

message 49: by TayyTayy(: (new)

TayyTayy(: (myguardianangel) | 2 comments my story will begin on 2/19/o9... am i allowed to post it on here when im done?

message 50: by Georg (last edited Feb 28, 2009 02:44AM) (new)

Georg My story will begin on February 28 at 11 pm. Sorry, I meant 11 am.

« previous 1 3