Women and Men discussion

Women & Men Chapter Discussions > 0792 THE HERMIT-INVENTOR OF NEW YORK, THE ANASAZI HEALER, AND THE UNKNOWN ABORTER

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nathan "N.R.", James Mayn (last edited Sep 28, 2012 10:11AM) (new)

Nathan "N.R." Gaddis (nathannrgaddis) | 662 comments Discuss.

Selected passages originally published in Conjunctions 6 (1984); "an author note says that these passages (unlike previous excerpts) are not standalone, and their style is more like the rest of Women and Men than previous excerpts." -- wikipedia article, "Women and Men".

message 2: by Aloha (new)

Aloha | 497 comments “thunder was the upgoing burst of undreamt dream”

Interesting clue to Jim's inability to dream.

message 3: by Aloha (new)

Aloha | 497 comments Also, it was mentioned that the Hermit Inventor had 3 incarnations. I can think of two, in two different time frames, Margaret's youth and decades later. What's the third incarnation?

message 4: by Aloha (new)

Aloha | 497 comments It's all starting to correlate for me, the weather, Jim's mind, the history and people surrounding him, and the Native American mythic stories.

message 5: by Aloha (new)

Aloha | 497 comments “he told the Navajo Prince once toward the end that a young person would someday find a new form of reincarnation like a unique green butterfly—seen luminous-night-herring-fashion from the shores of both oceans uniting them for it was the same perfectly sane butterfly in two separate places and there would come, in the future, a way to verify the fact by instant communication over that full distance”

Interesting passages on reincarnation, which seems to have something to do with the simultaneity of time, with the future, simultaneous reincarnation, symmetrical tornado, spiraling of the tornado, shape within a shape.

message 6: by Aloha (new)

Aloha | 497 comments “Hermit-Inventor who seems to have existed in three manifestations at least (the great great uncle three decades before the meeting with the girl Margaret in ‘85 "at" the Statue of Liberty (if you call those scattered large-scale units one statue) and then much later in the mid-twentieth of centuries an unfrocked weather thinker who lived almost as remotely in his own drab Greenwich Village street”

This answered my question about the three manifestations.

message 7: by Nathan "N.R.", James Mayn (new)

Nathan "N.R." Gaddis (nathannrgaddis) | 662 comments I'm eager to catch up with Jonathan cuz he's got some great summaries in (my) future chapters. But maybe I could compel Aloha to return to this little dialogue between our Inventor and our Healer and our Unknown Aborter for another excellent summary set?

message 8: by Aloha (new)

Aloha | 497 comments Okay, Nathan. I was thinking I should tackle this since I read this twice. Better do it before I forget. I'm busy with Xmas stuff, tree, etc. For Aloha Jr., I never let my beliefs ruin her participation in life. I actually think we're all a bit correct and delusional at the same time in our beliefs. I never totally believe in what I say, anyway. And I never completely agree with anybody. Gawd, I need to stay off the Internet today. Yuk, yuk, yuk.

message 9: by Aloha (new)

Aloha | 497 comments Love it! Thanks, Jonathan.

message 10: by Perifian (new)

Perifian | 9 comments So ends my second and final hiatus - intense stuff: http://pastebin.com/VHhYVZp3

message 11: by Nathan "N.R.", James Mayn (new)

Nathan "N.R." Gaddis (nathannrgaddis) | 662 comments Alexei wrote: "So ends my second and final hiatus - intense stuff: http://pastebin.com/VHhYVZp3"

Most excellent. And thanks for those sample quotes.

message 12: by Nathan "N.R.", James Mayn (new)

Nathan "N.R." Gaddis (nathannrgaddis) | 662 comments Jonathan's deleted posts ::

#9----
[photo]

Marg spent 'three nights in jail for that woman who axed the painting', Rokeby Venus (pictured above restored, below in its 'axed' state).
Mary Richardson, the suffragette who attacked the painting with a meat cleaver: "I have tried to destroy the picture of the most beautiful woman in mythological history as a protest against the Government for destroying Mrs. Pankhurst, who is the most beautiful character in modern history."
Pankhurst had been arrested the previous day.

[photo]