The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group discussion

Report for Duty > Hello to me! Hello to you!

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kate (new)

Kate Kinsey | 5 comments Excited about talking with other readers. I read all kinds of things, but mysteries and thrillers are among my favorites. Big fan of Elizabeth George, Thomas Harris and Flavia De Luce, among others.

And as an author with a first outing in this genre, I am hoping to learn more about crafting a better mousetrap. :)

message 2: by T (new)

T (twoo) | 18420 comments Hi Kate, welcome to the group! Look around, come play word games with us, if you're so inclined!

- T

message 3: by Donna, Co-Moderator (new)

Donna | 2178 comments Mod
Welcome Kate. We cover all types of mysteries - cozy to noir - so I'm sure you'll find lots of inspiration.

message 4: by Hayes, Co-Moderator (new)

Hayes (hayes13) | 2060 comments Mod
Hi Kate, welcome to the group.

message 5: by Kate (new)

Kate Kinsey | 5 comments Thanks ya'll!

message 6: by [deleted user] (last edited Sep 21, 2012 01:21AM) (new)

Hello everyone, my name's Lynne Copeland and I live in Garindein in the foothills of the French Pyrenees. I love mysteries and thrillers, especially from those wonderful authors John Dickson Carr and Conan Doyle.

I'm looking for new directions of authors. Loved Steve Trotter's "Resurrected" and so I'm pretty open to everything.

When I get to know everyone a little better, I will bring my thriller about the pharmaceutical industry and counterfeit drugs out of mothballs that I wrote about eight years ago, and that no publishing author or literary agent would take me on. I am going to work on this again and may consider self-publishing but the thought rather scares me. I personally prefer the traditional route but that's just a matter of personal preference.

message 7: by Kate (new)

Kate Kinsey | 5 comments Lynne, the time is ripe and better than ever for self publishing. The industry is changing so much. The "traditional" route is even less traditional these days. But definitely get out your book, dust it off, and polish it up. If you want it, DON'T GIVE UP

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Why thank you Kate. I like the positive attitude of "don't give up".

I looked at my book today and the story is good but the style of writing is dreadful! I thought that it was really good at the time! I'm not suprised that no-one wanted to publish it.

I see a lot of self-published books (I often look at the Kindle ones) and the errors in some are just dreadful! Surely if one is going to publish a book, it has got to be top quality both with the grammar and the spelling

I purchased a self-published book about two months ago because I really liked the subject. However, the errors were pretty bad and that put me off the book, even though the subject was very good.

I'm a translator/proofreeder by profession by the way and I can never see my own errors!

message 9: by Kate (new)

Kate Kinsey | 5 comments Lynne, that's why we are lousy proofers of our own work, lol. And you're right -- I've read a few books -- not just self-published either -- that had a lot of really egregious errors and it just yanks you right out of the story. Suddenly you see the writer behind the curtain and no longer quite trust what they are telling you.

I'd go into business as a proofer and editor, but no one would be willing to pay me what my time is worth.

message 10: by Hayes, Co-Moderator (new)

Lynne wrote: "I'm a translator/proofreeder by profession by the way and I can never see my own errors! "

It's true! Try reading backwards, so your brain doesn't fill in the missing bits.

t's lk ths sntncs, tht y cn ndrstnd whn th vwls hv bn rmvd bt y cn stll ndrstnd vrythng

I too am a translator-proofer-editor, and no we don't get paid enough. Most of the time I'm lucky to get paid at all!

message 11: by [deleted user] (last edited Sep 24, 2012 04:48AM) (new)

Hayes, I cannot believe that you don't get paid enough or sometimes not at all. If you are good, you'll get well paid and on time. I'm a freelancer. Are you? What is your language pair?

message 12: by Hayes, Co-Moderator (last edited Sep 24, 2012 05:05AM) (new)

Italian-English
Yes, I'm a freelancer, but here in Italy the economic situation is so bad that there ins't any money. I do volunteer editing, etc., for a Teachers' Organization I belong to, hoping to scare up some work, but it's "few and far between". I lost my freelance job at the Italian Encyclopedia a few years ago because the Encyclopedia is going bankrupt and is closing down. And mostly editing just doesn't get done, as it is perceived as a useless luxury.

*sigh*