Autism Families and Professionals discussion

Hi there

Comments Showing 1-46 of 46 (46 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mariah (new)

Mariah (caelesti) | 1 comments I was hoping there would be an autism-related group here! Hi, I'm Mariah, 26 years old (soon to be 27) and have Asperger's/borderline ADD and I love to read! Esp. fantasy, sci-fi & historical fiction, as well as mythology, history, politics, religion, and of course about autism and other disabilities.

BTW, have any of you read Born on the Wrong Planet by Erika Hammerschmidt? The author is a friend of mine!

message 2: by Jay (new)

Jay (transguyjay) | 1 comments Yes, I have read it. I met her very briefly at a Self-Advocacy conference.
Welcome!

message 3: by Janet (new)

Janet Leszl During March 2009 and April 2009 buy -A Pebble to Polish
Available in print or e-book format from online retailers like Amazon.com or directly from the publisher BookSurge.com

Win for you: read an award-winning, entertaining novel. A Pebble to Polish is a Mom’s Choice Awards® Gold Recipient and USA Book News National Best Books Awards finalist.

Win for charity: In honor of Developmental Disabilities Month (March 2009) and Autism Awareness Month (April 2009), the author will donate a minimum of 20% of her royalties from books purchased in those months to charities supporting individuals with autism. Charities to receive donations are: The Arc Northern Chesapeake Region, Autism Speaks and Autism Society of America.

Synopsis: A financial windfall opens unexpected doors, but tragedy soon follows for idealistic college student, Cassandra Delaine. Compounding matters, she becomes a single parent, of an autistic child. Happiness and emotional wellbeing are seemingly out of reach until Cassandra reaches out to other parents making the same difficult journey. Kirkus Discoveries declares: “The detailed prose informative and heartwrenching by turns, offers readers a glimpse into the lives—the good, the bad and even the ugly—of all kinds of families with autistic children with warmth and compassion.”

message 4: by Jeff (new)

Jeff (jeffbickley) This looks like a good place to introduce myself. We live in Fort Worth, TX and have a 15 year old "high functioning" autistic. We did not get a diagnosis until age 10, though. We are currently treating through supplements and diets. We are seeing a doctor in Grapevine who is a founding member of D.A.N. I am about to start reading the book, Breaking the Vicious Cycle: Intestinal Health Through Diet, by Elaine Gottschall. Our daughter is in a high school program that is now 2 years old, designed for students like her. She has only been in the program for a couple of months, as it took us 5 years to get the ISD to agree with the autism diagnosis. Things are looking up.

message 5: by Jack (new)

Jack George (playasgringo) | 2 comments Hello,
My name is Jack E. George. I am a member of the group as of today.
I have joined because I am a teacher of severely autistic children and I enjoy reading and learning from other peoples' experiences. My highest respect and admiration goes to the families and care-providers of those families working with an autistic child.
I hope to gain a lot of knowledge from this group as well as make some new friends.

Take care...

Jack

message 6: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 7 comments Hello,
My name is Samantha. I am a member of this group as of a a week ago. I am a college student. I work with children who have autism doing social skills. I just finished an internship at a school that used applied behavior analysis. I hope to learn a lot here from others because most of what I learn is from kids who are on the spectrum or more high functioning. The ABA school had kids in the low functioning area.

Sam

message 7: by Phoenix (new)

Phoenix (phoenixapb) | 8 comments Hello everybody! I have a 9 yr. old son with Asperger's/ADD/and mild ODD. I am a member of this group as of about 3 mins. ago. I'm here because it is always nice to talk to others who have experience with autism and who can understand what it's like to raise/teach a child with autism. Also, I'm happy to give and recieve advice. I'd also like to share some of the ups and downs of raising a child with an autism spectrum disorder and look forward to hearing about yours as well.

message 8: by Jeff (new)

Jeff (jeffbickley) Hi, Jack, Samanth, and Alecia. Doesn't seem to be much activity on this group, but it doesn't have to stay that way. I've seen three new posts since I joined. Alecia, there certainly are "ups and downs" aren't there? Our Stephanie is "high functioning," and it's like a roller coaster ride. And not one of the fun ones, either...more like the most terrifying roller coaster imaginable. And I think it's missing a few sections of track! Hahah...

message 9: by Phoenix (new)

Phoenix (phoenixapb) | 8 comments Hello Jeff,
I totally agree about there being missing sections of track. I've found that raising my son is the hardest yet most rewarding job I've ever done (although I never would've said that when he was 4 and younger...YIKES). I found the best coping mechanisms are having a good sense of humor, tons of patience, and shutting down my emotions from time to time. These things have saved my sanity.

message 10: by Jeff (new)

Jeff (jeffbickley) The "shutting down emotions" thing is good. I've only recently learned that (Stephanie is 16). We have had some pretty loud, serious arguments in our house, and learning how to set emotions aside has really helped that. We've recently had a stretch of a couple of months with no meltdowns at all, and pretty good behavior at school. Recently, however, the school behavior is slipping, but things are still okay at home. We're working on figuring that out, but school is almost out for this year. We are learning to savor the good times.

message 11: by Angela Sunshine (last edited Jul 09, 2010 10:26PM) (new)

Angela Sunshine (angelasunshine) Hi! I'm a parent of a 14 year old son who was just diagnosed with Asperger Syndrome recently. I've been learning a lot in a short time, trying to prepare us both for high school in the fall...

I'm thankful for the guidance I've found in books for ways to help him succeed, and for the understanding I'm beginning to (finally!) feel. It's horrible to be so confused and irritated all the time over misunderstandings- for both of us! I'm beginning to appreciate how hard it is on him to be "quirky" too.

message 12: by Angela Sunshine (new)

Angela Sunshine (angelasunshine) Jeff wrote: "This looks like a good place to introduce myself. We live in Fort Worth, TX and have a 15 year old "high functioning" autistic. We did not get a diagnosis until age 10, though. We are currently ..."

Jeff, I am wondering how much you felt the diet helped your daughter?

My son is high functioning also, so I am curious where you felt a difference. (I'm willing to try anything to stop the homework/schoolwork daily drama!!)

message 13: by Jeff (new)

Jeff (jeffbickley) The Best Kind of Different: Our Family's Journey with Asperger's Syndrome

I'm almost through finished reading this book. It's a very good account of a family and their journey into Asperger's. Also, an excellent book, written by a man who has Asperger's is Look Me in the Eye: My Life with Asperger's. It's pretty entertaining, and gives a good look at Asperger's from the point of view from one who has it.

message 14: by Jeff (new)

Jeff (jeffbickley) Angela, we didn't get very good results from the diet. It worked some, but was very difficult to maintain. What we have gotten excellent results from, however, is a dietary supplement of enzymes. This I got from Enzymes for Autism and other Neurological Conditions. Stephanie is taking "Peptizyde" before every meal, and we have had excellent results. So much so, that we have recently re-introduced ice cream to her diet! She has not had ice cream for years. She has had some once a week for the last four weeks, and we haven't had anything remotely resembling a meltdown.

message 15: by Melissa (last edited Jan 13, 2011 05:10PM) (new)

Melissa Wilson | 7 comments Hi my name is Melissa. I wanted to join the group because I have a 2.5 year old girl with autism. She doesn't talk much but she knows about 36 signs in ASL and will point to all letters of the alphabet, and numbers 1-20 when asked. She just just started saying "apple" "hi" and "happy" "baby"- and started saying "Dada" again after about a year of not saying it. She gets an hour of OT and Speech a week.
She just started ABA this week and I'm excited to be a part of it. I'm really stressed about her education. I wonder what preschool she will go to in the the fall. The district we live in offers a special education preschool, but if my husband and I don't like it we will be forced to pay for a community preschool monthly and ABA tutors hourly out of pocket. It's going to get very expensive, but I don't want her stuck in a preschool we don't like for two years. I heard they don't really have a curriculum and that the staff is pretty ignorant when it comes to autism, they don't really know what it is. I don't know what to do.

message 16: by Dee-Ann (new)

Dee-Ann | 20 comments Hi my name is Dee-Ann. I have an almost 11 year old son with autsim. he does not talk much either, mainly echolalia and singing. he used to be very angry when he was young, but now he is almost the opposite, very docile, would not hurt anyone, slow with walking and any other physical exercise (but fast when disappearing to an icecream shop). He has attended a special school since he was 4. It has been really good, but I often wonder if it was the right path and/or could we have done more.

message 17: by Emily (new)

Emily | 2 comments Hi everyone. I'm a mother of two boys, a six-year-old with autism, and a seven-year-old who probably has an Asperger's diagnosis in his near-future. Looking forward to learning which books have been helpful to other members of this group.

message 18: by Lee (last edited Jun 21, 2011 11:41AM) (new)

Lee Wilkinson (goodreadscomlee_wilkinson) | 6 comments Hello Everyone,

I'm pleased to announce that my book, “A Best Practice Guide to Assessment and Intervention for Autism and Asperger Syndrome in Schools” has been named a Gold Medal Winner in the Education/Academic category of the 2011 Next Generation Indie Book Awards. The Next Generation Indie Book Awards “was established to recognize and honor the most exceptional independently published books in 60 different categories, for the year, and is presented by Independent Book Publishing Professionals Group.” The book was also recently short-listed by the National Association for Special Educational Needs (NASEN)in the UK for their 2011 Special Educational Needs Academic Book of the year award. Previously, “A Best Practice Guide…” was honored as an Award-Winning Finalist in the Education/Academic category of the "Best Books 2010 Awards” sponsored by USA Book News.

This authoritative, yet accessible book provides a step-by-step guide to screening, assessment, and intervention for school-age children with autism spectrum disorders. Published by Jessica Kingsley Publishers Ltd, the leading international publisher of books focusing on the autism spectrum, this comprehensive resource combines the best of a user-friendly handbook and the depth of an academically oriented text book. With illustrative case studies, FAQs, quick reference boxes, best practice index, and glossary of terms, this concise and well researched guidebook will be widely used by psychologists, advocates, teachers, speech/language therapists, counselors, and parents.

Diane Adreon, Associate Director of the University of Miami-Nova Southeastern University Center for Autism and Related Disabilities (UM-NSU CARD) and co-author of “Asperger Syndrome and Adolescence: Practical Solutions for School Success,” comments that “Dr. Lee Wilkinson has produced a well-written, user-friendly, comprehensive guide to the assessment and intervention of students with ASD. School district administrators, attorneys, educators and psychologists will want to have this guide available to them as a resource on ‘best practice’ in the field of ASD.”

Diane Twachtman-Cullen, Editor-in-Chief of Autism Spectrum Quarterly, calls the book “a landmark contribution destined to become a classic in the field of autism spectrum disorders (ASDs)” and writes, “Dr. Wilkinson has made an enormous contribution to the field by comprehensively and systematically illuminating not only what needs to be done, but also how to go about doing it.”

“A Best Practice Guide to Assessment and Intervention for Autism and Asperger Syndrome in Schools” is available from Jessica Kingsley Publishers, ISBN: 978-1-84905-811-7 and can be ordered directly from the publisher at http://www.jkp.com/ and all major booksellers, including http://www.amazon.com/ and http://www.barnesandnoble.com/.

http://bestpracticeautism.com
http://www.indiebookawards.com

A Best Practice Guide to Assessment and Intervention for Autism and Asperger Syndrome by Lee A. Wilkinson

message 19: by Stephen (new)

Stephen (sfutado) | 13 comments I will follow this group to get ideas on getting work for adults with autism. I'm working on having mentors work in network marketing home based biz's for income. One of our biz leaderx wrote Living the Dream L. Winters , great motivator..

message 20: by Mark (new)

Mark Rivera (superherodad) | 8 comments Hey, my wife has high functioning Autism, or Asperger's Syndrome, as does my 14 year old...

Welcome.

message 21: by Peter (new)

Peter Flom | 14 comments I have nonverbal learning disorder, which has some things in common with Asperger's

message 22: by Natalia (new)

Natalia Iwanyckyj (nataliaerehnah) | 2 comments I have 3 children, one of whom is autistic. Parenting them has completely transformed how I see the world, so much that I wrote a book about it. The book tells the stories of many mothers, and one reader recently commented, "It's like a support group in my pocket." Swan Mothers: Discovering Our True Selves by Parenting Uniquely Magnificent Children

message 23: by Mark (new)

Mark Rivera (superherodad) | 8 comments Hey everyone....I have adult ADD...so you can probably notice their's never a dull moment in our house!

message 24: by Stephen (new)

Stephen (sfutado) | 13 comments some great health items with biz i work with http://www.nutrilitehealth.com

Lorrea - WhatChaReadin'? (whatchatreadin) Hi, I'm the mother of a three year old who was diagnosed with PPD-NOS. I'm interested in finding books to help him and our family this summer since this will be first time since his diagnosis, he will not be getting some sort of educational assistance. Specifically books or help in dealing with discipline and speech issues.

message 26: by Kerry (new)

Kerry | 21 comments Hi I'm Kerry! I have a brother with moderate to severe autism. I'm new here

message 27: by Natalia (new)

Natalia Iwanyckyj (nataliaerehnah) | 2 comments Hi Kerry! Welcome.

message 28: by Kerry (new)

Kerry | 21 comments Thanks!

message 29: by Kellyd (new)

Kellyd | 17 comments Hi Group. I'm Kelly, a dad to 2 daughters, 9 and 5. My 5 yo is diagnosed with ASD and is nonverbal and happy. Been doing doing biomedial and traditional ABA/DIR therapy since 2. Although I just realized I need to list all the more instructive books surrounding ASD on Goodreads, I am always looking for both technical and literary books regarding ASD. Please recommend books that made an impact on you. My support and understanding goes out to you all.

message 30: by Kerry (new)

Kerry | 21 comments Hi Kelly

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi everyone. I just joined. I was very excited to find an ASD focused group on Goodreads. I was diagnosed with Asperger's in my mid 20's, right after my son was diagnosed. My youngest was diagnosed with PDD-NOS when she was younger. I got my master's in Applied Developmental Psychology and worked for a time as an ABA therapist. Look forward to meeting everyone.

message 32: by Kerry (new)

Kerry | 21 comments Nice to meet you, I'm Kerry.

message 33: by James (new)

James Christie | 11 comments Hi, I'm James - Asperger and author.

message 34: by Sam (new)

Sam Austin (samaustin) | 2 comments Hello, I'm Sam. Diagnosed with aspergers aged seven when I was non verbal for a year and unreliable language-wise before and after. Keen reader (22 books so far this year), and writer of fiction and non fiction.

message 35: by Kerry (new)

Kerry | 21 comments Hi Sam

message 36: by Peter (new)

Peter Flom | 14 comments Hi Sam

message 37: by Stella (new)

Stella Waterhouse | 9 comments Hi Sam - what sort of books do you write?

message 38: by Sam (new)

Sam Austin (samaustin) | 2 comments Horror, fantasy, paranormal romance, crime. I only have short stories published so far, but I'm working on a few novels. I also write the occasional non fiction article on autism.
Nice to meet you all.

message 39: by Kerry (new)

Kerry | 21 comments Cool! That sounds interesting

message 40: by Kimberlee (new)

Kimberlee McCafferty | 1 comments Hi everyone, my name is Kim, and I am a newbie to Goodreads. I was very happy to find an autism group here. I am the mother of two boys on the spectrum, one mild and one severe, and an author of a memoir about raising the boys and staying positive. I'm always searching for good books about autism and looking forward to all of your suggestions. Nice to meet you!

message 41: by Kellyd (new)

Kellyd | 17 comments Hi Kim: Just placed your book on my Want to Read list.

message 42: by [deleted user] (new)

Your book looks interesting. Welcome.

message 43: by Stella (new)

Stella Waterhouse | 9 comments Hi Kim - welcome

message 44: by Michael (new)

Michael  Charney (michael_charney) | 3 comments April is Autism Awareness Month, as everyone knows, and the book "What Color is Monday? by Carrie Cariello DONATES a percentage of profits to AUTISM SPEAKS. Please pass the word. http://www.indiebound.org/book/978098...

message 45: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (stephanieworkman) I joined this group because I have a friend with autism. He and my husband have been friends since high school which inspired the picture book I wrote. I added it to your book shelf. I also joined to find more material to read on autism and learn more about it. Years ago I did work in special education for a brief time. I actually got permission from Rosemary Crossley herself to use one of her quotes in my book. She is a lovely woman.Lucy's Amazing Friend

message 46: by Stu (new)

Stu Schreiber | 1 comments Anyone here? Autism is a topic very close to my heart. A very good friend, a divorced mom, has two young sons who have autism. My first novel, August 9th, is a very different type of love story that spans 1969-2014. The biggest challenge in my main character's life is raising his son who has autism. I was hoping this might be a forum to share historical info as well as personal stories since Ben the son with autism might be my next novel.Appreciate hearing from anyone out there.