Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Crossed (Matched, #2)
This topic is about Crossed
Previous BRs - Authors; A - D > Condie, Ally - Crossed (Matched, #2) Buddy Read Sept 24 2012

Comments Showing 1-45 of 45 (45 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Sep 19, 2012 03:17PM) (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 30933 comments Mod
Photobucket

This topic is open for discussion of Crossed by Ally Condie. Be prepared for SPOILERS

Synopsis:
Rules Are Different Outside The Society

Chasing down an uncertain future, Cassia makes her way to the Outer Provinces in pursuit of Ky--taken by the Society to his sure death--only to find that he has escaped into the majestic, but treacherous, canyons. On this wild frontier are glimmers of a different life and the enthralling promise of a rebellion. But even as Cassia sacrifices every thing to reunite with Ky, ingenious surprises from Xander may change the game once again.

Narrated from both Cassia's and Ky's point of view, this hotly anticipated sequel to Matched will take them both to the edge of Society, where nothing is as expected and crosses and double crosses make their path more twisted than ever.

message 2: by Lisarenee (new) - added it

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Who would like to participate in this buddy read.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks for the Pm Lisarenee, I'm in.

message 4: by Jex (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jex (jexball) | 2227 comments Just requested it from the library. I'm #11 in line.

Yulia (ll_yni) | 7 comments I want read this book too!!!

Madilynn I read this already. Will be able to talk about it though. :)

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Hey, there is always the third one later, right? And it'll be fun to have someone prodding us :D
I can't wait.

Madilynn Yup. Haven't read the third one though.

message 9: by Lisarenee (new) - added it

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Who has books and who still needs to get their hands on a copy?

So far I own one and Jex is waiting for a copy.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

I have a copy on hand.

message 11: by Jex (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jex (jexball) | 2227 comments My copy came into the library today. I'll be able to pick it up on Monday.

message 12: by Lisarenee (new) - added it

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Zanahoria (Taly) wrote: "I have a copy on hand."

Taly, Does Monday sound good?

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Sure, put up the schedule, I'm ready and eager :D

message 14: by Lisarenee (new) - added it

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Okay, I'll find my book and split the reading.

message 15: by Lisarenee (new) - added it

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Reading Schedule

Date Chapters Pages
September 24 1 - 5 1 - 52
September 25 6 - 11 53 - 108
September 26 12 - 15 109 - 157
September 27 16 - 25 158 - 210
September 28 26 - 34 211 - 264
September 29 35 - 40 265 - 307
September 30 41 - 54 308 - 367

message 16: by [deleted user] (last edited Sep 24, 2012 05:41AM) (new)

Just starting. As it opens with the poems, it made me remember something I though while reading Matched that forgot to comment: Doesn't it feel like those poems, written each on the side of a page, are in a way sides of the same coin? To fight against death (apathy) and to greet death with peace after a long adventure. Ky then says he's not afraid of death, only of dying wrong, and I though: nailed it in one sentence.
Thoughts?

message 17: by Lisarenee (last edited Sep 24, 2012 06:25PM) (new) - added it

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Sorry I'm so late with this one. Taly, I think they both are about death and living life to it's fullest without regrets.

message 18: by Lisarenee (last edited Sep 24, 2012 06:59PM) (new) - added it

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Questions for Chapter 1 - 5
1) Do you like the fact the book toggles between Ky and Cassia? They aren't together so to figure out what is happening with each the author divides the time between them.

2) Do you feel bad for Xander? I think he was hoping with Ky out of the picture she might warm to a relationship with him. Do you think Cassia is leading him on without realizing it?

3) Are you surprised the Society gives no ammunition to the aberrations? They each seem to have a target on them. Do you think anyone could last in those conditions for 6 months? Do you think Society would set them free after they served if they're still alive?

4) I can see why Cassia would take the compass and the blue pills with her, but why the silver matching box? If she can't trust the other girls with her belongings why not let it stay with her parents?

5) Again there is mention of the cottonwood seeds.

6) Taly, Looking at Chapter 5 Ky says the poem is about wanting more. They both sound like they were written about those who are fighting a battle. I agree they do seem to be in a way sides of the same coin. One talking about fighting to live the other talking about taking that final journey into death and living well enough to meet your maker/pilot.

7) The blue tablets kill you? Cassia has a bunch. Do you think she'll give them away or use them?

8) Why were the officials so worried about the kids going up to the mountains or hills?

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

Questions for Chapter 1 - 5
1) Do you like the fact the book toggles between Ky and Cassia?

I figure it's a valid device, but jars a bit. Part of the appeal was that we saw through Cassias journey of change, and as it was from within, from within we saw. I don't know yet.

2) Do you feel bad for Xander? I think he was hoping with Ky out of the picture she might warm to a relationship with him. Do you think Cassia is leading him on without realizing it?
I think Xander is "playing a subtler game", has not resigned himself. It bothered me a bit, how deeply the triangle-romance state was re-affirmed. I can understand Cassia wanting reassurance, but she's taking what she's not willing to give.

3) Are you surprised the Society gives no ammunition to the aberrations?
Nah, it does seem like they are making an Uriah gambit with the whole classification.

4) I can see why Cassia would take the compass and the blue pills with her, but why the silver matching box? If she can't trust the other girls with her belongings why not let it stay with her parents?
I wondered. It seemed silly, right?

5) Again there is mention of the cottonwood seeds.
Hope still. Miracles. A bit darker, though, the snow themes.

6) Taly, Looking at Chapter 5 Ky says the poem is about wanting more. They both sound like they were written about those who are fighting a battle. I agree they do seem to be in a way sides of the same coin. One talking about fighting to live the other talking about taking that final journey into death and living well enough to meet your maker/pilot.
:D Further: One talk about not being ready to die, the other about being ready.

7) The blue tablets kill you? Cassia has a bunch. Do you think she'll give them away or use them?
This one is a frustrating discovery, ain't it? I'm hoping that they are not as effective, having expired, since they'll come to be a bite in the ass plot point.

8) Why were the officials so worried about the kids going up to the mountains or hills?
That was strange. I wonder if they are watching, always near-by, and worried they'd be seen?

message 20: by Lisarenee (new) - added it

Lisarenee | 7659 comments 1) I guess the only other way to do this would be to write two separate books or split it into halves and have the first half be Cassia's story and the other be Ky's?

2)Xander worries me a bit. You say he's playing a subtle game and I wonder if you may be right. He asks what she wouldn't be willing to give up for Ky. Will that come back to bite her later? Will he use that to try to win her?

3) I still think it's strange that the fighting is kept to the outer regions and never goes farther in. Is there really an enemy or is it just some elaborate experiment for who knows what. This has supposedly been going on for years. If you don't fight back why wouldn't the enemy advance?

4) Very Strange.

5) I like how you bring up the snow. I've heard people describe snow as something that makes things look new and different. Another sign that things can change. That cottonwood seed sure is a nifty piece of symbolism.

6) True

7) I was totally shocked by this revelation. Since there is a third book, I'm guessing she doesn't take them or if she does she realizes what they do in time to prevent herself from taking more. Makes you wonder what is in them.

8) You do have to wonder how they monitor people out there. We got the communication box which they try to keep away when they want to talk, but I'm guessing the government is extremely sneaky. You definitely get that "Big Brother is watching you" vibe.

message 21: by [deleted user] (last edited Sep 25, 2012 07:03AM) (new)

Lisarenee wrote: "3) I still think it's strange that the fighting is kept to the outer regions and never goes farther in. Is there really an enemy or is it just some elaborate experiment for who knows what. This has supposedly been going on for years. If you don't fight back why wouldn't the enemy advance?
"

I have two theories: easy and paranoid.
Easy is that the fight is more of an internal strife, and the enemy are anomalies and aberrations, which would account for lack of advancing as a reluctance to wipe what they now might realize are future comrades.
Paranoid is that the war in the outer is manufactured to get rid of the aberrations. This does not seem like a complete panoramic, because it doesn't explain why armament is downgrading, or the deep unrest there seems to be among officials. It feels like something is happening in central, and Cassia's match being tampered with seem like one of the symptoms

I think it'll go on a mixture of the two.

message 22: by Lisarenee (new) - added it

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Zanahoria (Taly) wrote: "Lisarenee wrote: "3) I still think it's strange that the fighting is kept to the outer regions and never goes farther in. Is there really an enemy or is it just some elaborate experiment for who kn..."

I can't wait to see what in the story is. I'm guessing we won't know till possibly the third book?

message 23: by Lisarenee (last edited Sep 25, 2012 09:36PM) (new) - added it

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Questions and Comments for Chapters 6 - 11

9) Do you think Cassia got a fair trade or was cheated? It didn't tell her what she wanted.

10) I think Cassia is risking too much by going into the war zone. Do you think it's too risky?

11) First impression of Indie? Is something off with her or do you feel she's trustworthy? What do you think she was hiding? Her running away at the beginning just made me wonder if she could be a spy for the Society sent to watch her.

12) What do you make of the boy helping Cassia and Indie? Why wouldn't he stay with them?

13) Wow! They were monitoring them. Do you think it kept track of where they were or just statistical information? Is that why they didn't want the kids buried?

14) Could the heat in the coats make them better targets?

15) What did you think of Ky taking Eli with them?

16) Do you think the Ky and Cassia will find each other or is the third book named Reached because they reach each other in that book?

17) What do you think happened to the people who used to live in the canyon?

message 24: by [deleted user] (last edited Sep 25, 2012 11:15PM) (new)

Questions and Comments for Chapters 6 - 11

9) Do you think Cassia got a fair trade or was cheated? It didn't tell her what she wanted.
I think she was misinterpreted by the guy, given the words she used. I wonder if the compass signified something actually.

10) I think Cassia is risking too much by going into the war zone. Do you think it's too risky?
She knew she was getting into one. It is dangerous, and it's also true that one doesn't realize how awful it can be till you are in one, but it's not like she got dropped in one without warning, like the rest of them.

11) First impression of Indie? Is something off with her or do you feel she's trustworthy? What do you think she was hiding? Her running away at the beginning just made me wonder if she could be a spy for the Society sent to watch her.
I'm liking her. I though Cassia would think about taking her place, but the fact that she was pushed to come along too gets us another character to get attached to :D

12) What do you make of the boy helping Cassia and Indie? Why wouldn't he stay with them?
I though it sad, that he'd rather take his chances alone. And more when he started to laugh and took two of the pills. He knew what they really were, and was securing an easy suicide (though it annoyed me that he didn't warn Cassia)

13) Wow! They were monitoring them. Do you think it kept track of where they were or just statistical information? Is that why they didn't want the kids buried?
That one sucked, but I was expecting something about the coats since Cassia mentioned it was the only thing that showed the society cared. I wonder if the kid keeping it will come to hurt everyone later.

14) Could the heat in the coats make them better targets?
Shit, like beacons? I though locaters, but damn, I just pictured a dirigible missile and it was not funny.

15) What did you think of Ky taking Eli with them?
I though it was the one thing that made his leaving all those kids bearable. Sweet and a way to salvage a bit of his soul.

16) Do you think that Ky and Cassia will find each other or is the third book named Reached because they reach each other in that book?
Ugh, no please. Now that you proposed it, I can totally see a whole volume of this and a cliff at the end when the find each other. I HATE cliff-hangers. Find them cheap, a way to sell more, and have dropped more than one series over them.

17) What do you think happened to the people who used to live in the canyon?
I think they are there, better hidden. Caves? New cities?

message 25: by Lisarenee (last edited Sep 26, 2012 05:07AM) (new) - added it

Lisarenee | 7659 comments I'm so bummed. They had a twitter chat with Ally Condie last night. Dang! We missed it. Here are some of the highlights:

- Indie is going to have a major role in REACHED.***SLIGHT SPOILER *** "Indie is a pilot in the third novel. She's very important. That's probably all I should say. ;)"***END OF SPOILER***
- Another MATCHED book in her future? “never say never” says Ally!
- A REACHED trailer is coming soon!
- I believe Reach will be partly written in Xander's POV
- REACHED will be about 200 pages longer than MATCHED
- Hardest part about the last book was giving each of the three characters their right ending point
- Ally's favorite part of the series? "My personal favorite part is the ending of REACHED, and Ky's poem chapter in CROSSED."

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

So we may expect an open end to Reached?

message 27: by Lisarenee (last edited Sep 26, 2012 05:12AM) (new) - added it

Lisarenee | 7659 comments I don't know. I'm thinking she's just not going to pull a Stephenie Meyer and stamp it with a "THE END!" Also, I added to the original post. I found more stuff.

message 28: by Lisarenee (last edited Sep 26, 2012 05:30AM) (new) - added it

Lisarenee | 7659 comments How did Ally come up with the names Ky and Xander?
The following was found at: http://matched-trilogy.livejournal.com/

"It took me some time to come up with the perfect name for Cassia (Read this blog entry here at the Matched Department). The boys in the story were a little bit easier for some reason. Maybe it’s because I have three sons so I have experience choosing boy names!

I came up with Ky’s name first, and it was so easy and automatic that I can’t even remember how I first decided on it. He was just always Ky. The spelling is my own variation on the name (though I’m sure others have spelled it this way too). When it is spelled Kai, it’s Polynesian for ocean. When it is spelled Cai, it’s an abbreviation of Caius (which, according to some sources, means person of earth).

I like this dichotomy, because it reflects the dual nature of Ky himself. He’s very connected to the earth and grounded in that aspect of the natural world, but he’s also the kind of person who has a lot of depth to him (still waters run deep). I also like that the changeable nature of the sea is reflected in his eyes.

It was a bit trickier to name Xander. I wanted something a little futuristic-sounding but still classical. It was my sister (the same one who helped me name Cassia!) who pointed me in the direction of the name Xander. I’ve never watched the television show Buffy the Vampire Slayer (I know, I’m horrible!) and so I hadn’t encountered the name before. I loved the name immediately and the meaning—defender of the people—fits him very well too, although you might have to wait a bit longer in the series to fully understand why. ;)

One last bit of information on the two male leads and their names—in earlier drafts of the book, the boys’ last names were switched, which is why you can sometimes catch me mixing them up now when I’m speaking.

In the final version of Matched, their names are Ky Markham and Xander Carrow. But earlier on it was Ky Carrow and Xander Markham. I had picked the last name Carrow because it means “a strolling gamester,” which I loved for Ky because he’s been on the move and because he could win at the games if he wanted to—and even by losing, he’s playing his own games.

Then my husband pointed out that “Ky Carrow” had a lot of hard c sounds together and so I switched them up. While I am very visual and always think of how a name looks on paper, my husband always thinks of the sound because he is more of a musician. So, I switched them. Because Xander is a bit of a gamester too. And because, since I had based both Ky and Xander partly on my husband, it seemed only fair that he should have a say in what they were named. :)"

message 29: by Lisarenee (last edited Sep 26, 2012 05:27AM) (new) - added it

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Why the name Cassia?

The following found at:
http://www.thematcheddepartment.com/2...

"When I was choosing Cassia’s name, I knew that I wanted it to be a real name, but something uncommon. I also wanted the name to have a classical feel and be very feminine, and I also wanted it to have a botanical association (because Cassia’s mother is a botanist and would give her daughter a meaningful name derived from something wonderful in nature). That’s a lot of criteria! It was my sister Elaine who first introduced me to this beautiful name, and it’s a perfect fit for the character at the center of the Matched trilogy.

If you’ve read Julius Caesar, you’ve encountered the character Cassius (pronounced CASH-us) and so you may have figured out that Cassia’s name is pronounced CASH-a. Lots of people (including my own agent!) pronounce it Cass-e-ah, and that is fine with me too. Either way, it’s a fantastic name with a lot of lovely meanings.

The first meaning I found for it online was “pure,” which fits the character very well. Also, did you know that there was also a female composer and poet named Cassia (often spelled Kassia or Kassiani) back in the 800s during the Byzantine Empire? I found this association particularly meaningful, because Cassia is also a poet in her own way.

The word “cassia” is Greek for cinnamon. There are medicinal uses for cassia, and a friend of mine who knows about essential oils (of which I am completely ignorant!) sent me this lovely note:

Cassia essential oil is a wonderful remedy for the shy and timid. It helps those who hold back and try to hide. When we avoid being the center of attention, cassia can restore our confidence. Similar to cinnamon, cassia dispels fear and replaces it with self-assurance. Cassia aids those who feel foolish by helping them see their own brilliance. It is an oil that invites us to “let our light shine,” and live from our authentic self.

Cassia’s mother, while outwardly obedient to the Society, is also capable of resisting in small ways. I like to think this name was a gift from Cassia’s mother to her daughter, a way to express how much potential she sees in Cassia."

message 30: by Lisarenee (new) - added it

Lisarenee | 7659 comments 9) That could very well be the case.

10) I guess you're right. She did see the movie Ky told her was real footage of a village being fired upon.

11) I'm not sure what I think of her yet.

12) Yes, it appears he knew what they were for, but I wonder if he, like Indie thought she knew?

13) I wonder about that too.

14) They were talking at one point about infrared detection. I would guess any type of heat would set if off. Perhaps that would help with retrieval as well as making tidy targets?

15) I liked that he did that too.

16) I'm hoping that's not the case too.

17) I'm wondering if they died.

message 31: by Lisarenee (new) - added it

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Questions for Chapters 12 - 15

18) What do you think of Indie's story? Who do you think told the Society what really happened?

19) What status were Ky's parents before he became an aberration? The way Ky talks they weren't aberrations at one point even if they lived in the outer provinces.

20) What do you think the flicker of light was from in the window?

21) They found some dead farmers, but are they all dead? Did some escape?

22) So for the next book to be interesting I'm guessing the Rising still has to be happening, but it sounds like who ever is running it may have changed. Do you think Cassia's grandfather knew about all this? If he did why didn't he tell her more?

23) We discussed that Cassia knew what she was getting into, but I still see her as being very naive and not believing everything outside of what society has told her as true. Her statement, "Oh, Ky, I think. I never knew. So this is the kind of death you've seen." I still say she truly didn't believe what she was getting into. I think of her as someone who just believes that she'll live to 80. Has accepted that fact to be true her whole life and has no concept that she could die. She missed the carnage of the bombings because they left camp before it started up again. I thinks she's still looking at things through society's rose colored glasses. I think slowly, however, those lenses are starting to crack.

24) I like the pamphlet history. I am, however, a little shocked they would have printed such things. That would be dangerous.

25) Sounds like Ky is insecure about his relationship with Cassia. I guess with someone like Xander, Mr. Perfect, being matched with the girl you like would be maddening. It makes you wonder if at some point she would have given up on finding Ky and, if so, what would have happened?

message 32: by Lisarenee (last edited Sep 27, 2012 08:35AM) (new) - added it

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Questions for Chapters 16 - 25
Click on the view spoiler tab to get to the next set of questions.
(view spoiler)

message 33: by [deleted user] (last edited Sep 27, 2012 05:25PM) (new)

Spoiler? Ohh, big things happening ahead! And I'm behind!
In a bit I'll be with you

Questions for Chapters 12 - 15

18) What do you think of Indie's story? Who do you think told the Society what really happened?

Who told them what her mother told them? I though it could have been the port.

19) What status were Ky's parents before he became an aberration? The way Ky talks they weren't aberrations at one point even if they lived in the outer provinces.
I reckon the were just citizens running under the radar. Provinces seem less restricted the further they get from the central. Also closer to finding out not everything is dandy and running for the heels, but still citizens.

20) What do you think the flicker of light was from in the window?
Maybe someone else looking for the farmers? Maybe a survivor of the firing.

21) They found some dead farmers, but are they all dead? Did some escape?
This is the thing: were they the ones that left the settlement that Ky reached, or others?

22) So for the next book to be interesting I'm guessing the Rising still has to be happening, but it sounds like who ever is running it may have changed. Do you think Cassia's grandfather knew about all this? If he did why didn't he tell her more?
That's interesting. Gramp's mother was on the committee. It puts the timing for about a century, so there must be some pass-the-baton going on. She chose to keep two poems, one that calls for fighting, one that became a code for the rebellion, so it doesn't look like she goes very happy about her job. She might have been involved in detractor groups.
If Cassia's grandfather knew, I reckon he didn't say because he didn't want to risk her her, or push her. After all, the Rising doesn't seem to want to topple the society, but take it back a few notches. Instead, he told her to wonder, which meshes well with their call for voting, the right of choosing.

23) We discussed that Cassia knew what she was getting into, but I still see her as being very naive and not believing everything outside of what society has told her as true. Her statement, "Oh, Ky, I think. I never knew. So this is the kind of death you've seen." I still say she truly didn't believe what she was getting into. I think of her as someone who just believes that she'll live to 80. Has accepted that fact to be true her whole life and has no concept that she could die. She missed the carnage of the bombings because they left camp before it started up again. I thinks she's still looking at things through society's rose colored glasses. I think slowly, however, those lenses are starting to crack.
I agree. There is a large gap between knowing and experiencing. I just pointed she didn't go without forewarning. It's interesting, how she has the theoretical knowledge, but those classified as aberrations, even ignoring what she knows still reconcile with reality better.

24) I like the pamphlet history. I am, however, a little shocked they would have printed such things. That would be dangerous.
Yes, but what shocked me was this question: Who were they hoping to give those pamphlets to? I think they are old, which makes them a sad proof of failure.

25) Sounds like Ky is insecure about his relationship with Cassia. I guess with someone like Xander, Mr. Perfect, being matched with the girl you like would be maddening. It makes you wonder if at some point she would have given up on finding Ky and, if so, what would have happened?
He going to her not knowing she's going to him. That wouldn't have changed. But it must eat at him, imagining her surrounded by her own safety and Xander there. It is sad how close the dream is to what happened (Cassia trading the compass, Xander there, her hurting over him) and still so far from the truth.

message 34: by [deleted user] (last edited Sep 27, 2012 08:51PM) (new)

"If I’m sick, then I’m not myself."
*chuckle* All this gives a lot of credence to your saying Cassia doesn't realize truly the situation she's in. She thinks doubt, depression and soul pains are indicators of sickness. She equates estrangement of self with being sick. While there is certain lyrical truth to it, the naivety of it... *shakes head*

message 35: by [deleted user] (last edited Sep 27, 2012 10:36PM) (new)

Questions for Chapters 16 - 25

(view spoiler)

message 36: by Lisarenee (new) - added it

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Questions for 26 - 34
36) So I guess Chapter 27 is the poem chapter that Ally Condie favored?

37) Again I'm struck with how naive Cassia is, "Someone so young, so tiny. How?" Her fog is lifting and she's starting to see more clearly.

38) How do you think Society is getting rid of cancer in it's people? Could they be sorting out those who carry the genes or are they find a cure or a preventative medicine or diet? Could not all singles be single by choice? Do they medicate meals?

39) Thoughts on the blue chalk?

40) Indie seems to play on Ky's fears about Cassia picking Xander. She also seems a little fixated on Xander. Do I smell jealousy?

41) One of my favorite quotes so far, "Love has different shades. Like the way I loved Cassia when I thought she'd never love me. The way I loved her on the Hill. The way I love her now that she came into the canyon for me. It's different. Deeper. I thought I loved her and wanted her before, but as we walk through the canyon together I realize this could be more than a new shade. A whole new color."

42)What do you make of the stored vials of genetic material? Society seems so rigid that I'm surprised they'd let the vials out of their sight.

43)What do you think Xander's secret is?

message 37: by Lisarenee (new) - added it

Lisarenee | 7659 comments 18) I need to check that. I was listening to the audio at the time and kept wondering how the Society heard about what her mother had truly done.

19) That's what I thought as well. I'm curious if he became a aberration after their deaths?

20)I thought it might be the Society looking for runaways from the villages.

21) I thought they were, but maybe not? Hard to say.

22) You may be right. I think it would be hard to keep something like that from the ones you love, however.

23) True

24) That is a valid question--who were they for? I think you're right that there were probably no people left to recruit so they were most likely old. very sad.

25) I agree.

message 38: by Lisarenee (new) - added it

Lisarenee | 7659 comments 26) I felt she made the decision already--Ky. The dream baffled me. Perhaps she's resorting things in her mind to determine if she made the right choice?

27) I am too.

28) I think you're right. I thought it odd Indie didn't think anything of it.

29) You think his father will end up being part of the rising?

30) I wondered that after the last book, but I'm not sure anymore.

31) True she trusts Xander completely. With him being a medic it's shocking he doesn't know they're poison either.

32) It was. :)

33) lol

34) It never occurred to me until that scene.

35) :)

message 39: by Lisarenee (new) - added it

Lisarenee | 7659 comments I am a little tire tonight so my spelling and thoughts may be a little off.

Questions for Chapter 35 - 40

44)Ky lost some points with his, "I know you came into the Carving for me, Cassia. But the Rising is the one place I don't know if I can go for you." She risks her life to find him. She did not take a nice stroll in a garden to find him she pretty much walked a mine field which I'm truly surprised she survived with out someone trying to come after them. I'm not sure what I think of him now.

45) Do you think Ky is the Pilot? Do you think what happened to his parents is his reason for not trusting The Rising or what happened to him afterwards?

46) Indie lost points..."We're the same," she whispers. "You and me. We're more alike than you and Cassia. We could leave right now." Gah! Then we find out she stole the data card from Cassia. What do you think of her now?

47)"You have to believe in something to survive. She's picked the Rising. I chose Cassia." What do you think of this statement?

48) You were right Taly, she hasn't yet picked. "I want both."

49) "Xander is the kind of person an Aberration can never have. A golden boy, as close to perfect as they come in the Society." Is Cassai the same in female form? Is she a golden girl?
Two theories forming for who rigged the Match system:

First:
Could Kai be the one to have put his information into the Match system? If he did, did he make sure he was matched with Cassia. He does know how to wire a system. Would the Society have firewalls set up or would they be easy to hack into?

Second:
Could someone have realized Ky's infatuation with Cassia and tried to use it to get Ky to join the resistance?

What do you think?

message 40: by [deleted user] (last edited Sep 30, 2012 03:25PM) (new)

Catching up

Questions for 26 - 34
36) So I guess Chapter 27 is the poem chapter that Ally Condie favored?

Uh? I reckon you are talking about an interview? It was a pretty bit of writing :D

37) Again I'm struck with how naive Cassia is, "Someone so young, so tiny. How?" Her fog is lifting and she's starting to see more clearly.
Yeah. But also, even us, not as sheltered, balk at children deaths, so while Cassia is naive, that wasn't one of the instances where I saw her being too innocent.

38) How do you think Society is getting rid of cancer in it's people? Could they be sorting out those who carry the genes or are they find a cure or a preventative medicine or diet? Could not all singles be single by choice? Do they medicate meals?
Given the samples in the cave, I had a HUGE Aeon Flux flashback, and though they are "recycling" people that they know will be healthy, and maybe even useful and compliant.

39) Thoughts on the blue chalk?
Ritual?

40) Indie seems to play on Ky's fears about Cassia picking Xander. She also seems a little fixated on Xander. Do I smell jealousy?
I think Idie know a lot more than she letting on about those caves, and Xander has something to do with it. Also, I'm becoming mighty suspicious of that wasp nest.

41) One of my favorite quotes so far, "Love has different shades. Like the way I loved Cassia when I thought she'd never love me. The way I loved her on the Hill. The way I love her now that she came into the canyon for me. It's different. Deeper. I thought I loved her and wanted her before, but as we walk through the canyon together I realize this could be more than a new shade. A whole new color."
That was incredible. I loved that part too. The whole thing about recognizing shades to the colors and not wanting to be constrained by one name too.

42)What do you make of the stored vials of genetic material? Society seems so rigid that I'm surprised they'd let the vials out of their sight.
I'm worried they are preparing an ark.

43)What do you think Xander's secret is?
That he knows they are sinking? That he knows himself a repeat, and that that makes him immune to forgetting? I don't know. Ky knowing something big and his continual mental linking of that with the risings keep me edgy and sure at any point things will blow up big time too.

message 41: by [deleted user] (last edited Sep 30, 2012 05:30PM) (new)

Here I am

Questions for Chapter 35 - 40

44)Ky lost some points with his, "I know you came into the Carving for me, Cassia. But the Rising is the one place I don't know if I can go for you." She risks her life to find him. She did not take a nice stroll in a garden to find him she pretty much walked a mine field which I'm truly surprised she survived with out someone trying to come after them. I'm not sure what I think of him now.

*shrug* I didn't like that he tried to hide the way, he lost serious point for me with the map burning stunt, but him being straight about what he's not willing to do seems reasonable. We have a saying around here: Warner is not traitor. And Cassia told Xander that she'd not give up her family. Looks even, she's just not reached the point where she has to state it.

45) Do you think Ky is the Pilot? Do you think what happened to his parents is his reason for not trusting The Rising or what happened to him afterwards?
I think he could be a candidate, but he was disillusioned with it long before everyone died. He kept questioning his father. I can relate to his wanting a bit of rest (my dad is like that, and I resented Atticus a bit too reading "To kill a mockingbird")

46) Indie lost points..."We're the same," she whispers. "You and me. We're more alike than you and Cassia. We could leave right now." Gah! Then we find out she stole the data card from Cassia. What do you think of her now?
I wanted to straggle her. And also pitied her. She can't see beyond what she is, and everyone else is an outsider. Very narrow focus, very dangerous. She's the prototype for extremist.

47)"You have to believe in something to survive. She's picked the Rising. I chose Cassia." What do you think of this statement?
That when thing get hard it becomes an absolute truth. It goes beyond hope and into the stubborn territory, and can get you through despair.

48) You were right Taly, she hasn't yet picked. "I want both."
Lol, I don't think she was exactly meaning the guys, though they do represent the two half lives.

49) "Xander is the kind of person an Aberration can never have. A golden boy, as close to perfect as they come in the Society." Is Cassai the same in female form? Is she a golden girl?
Two theories forming for who rigged the Match system:
First: Could Kai be the one to have put his information into the Match system? If he did, did he make sure he was matched with Cassia. He does know how to wire a system. Would the Society have firewalls set up or would they be easy to hack into?
Second: Could someone have realized Ky's infatuation with Cassia and tried to use it to get Ky to join the resistance?
What do you think?

I don't think Cassia is a model Society, but the minute rebellious strike Society allowed her and had stored in their data (like the grren dress thing) would make her a perfect hook to get someone moving into the Rising direction: in enough that she'd have to get out to be with Ky, adventurous enough to try. I wonder.

message 42: by Lisarenee (last edited Sep 30, 2012 09:24PM) (new) - added it

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Questions for Chapter 41 - end

50)Okay, is this a confession??? "I feel the way I did before the Match Banquet. Waiting. Wondering if what I'd done would be enough for her to see me again."

51) "I love Ky. But I don't understand him. He won;t let me reach him. I have made mistakes too, I know it, but I am tired of chasing him through canyons and out onto plains and stretching out my hands only to have him take it some times and not others." I like how she realizes Ky's faults.

52) Should Cassia have forgiven all. Does the story he painted and the new information he revealed clear him of his misdeeds?

53) Why do you think they didn't tell the Rising about Eli and Hunter?

54) "She is beautiful" Okay Ky not liking you. That's not Cassia your referring to. Is Ally Condie setting the scene for Ky and Cassia to break up?

55) "The air ship she's on begins to pull away in the last of the sun's light and as it does, I see that it's been burned and damaged along the bottom." Did the Rising kill the farmers?

56) Would you think Cassia could just walk right back into Society with no one asking questions or noticing she was gone?

57) Were you surprised Ky joined the rising after all?

58) Overall thoughts on this book?

59) Any favorite quotes or moments?

60) Should we schedule a buddy read in November for when Reach comes out? (I think it's Novmeber)

message 43: by [deleted user] (new)

50) Lol, I flipped too. Zeroed in into that one sentence and stared at it gape-mouthed. It looks like.

51) Yeah, the love despite lack of perfection, despite lack of complete symbiosis every YA seems to go for, was one of the aspects that made me appreciate the book.

52) I don't know. It could have gone the other way, and it would have been reasonable too. Forgiveness is a choice and a feeling. I can get how in wighting the faults vs the good, she'd choose to keep the good and keep going forward.

53) Ky keep insisting he mistrust the Rising, and there seems to be this constant current of letting people keep their stories and secrets to reveal themselves to and when they choose. The question the characters probably ask themselves is "Why should we tell?"

54)I don't think so, but she'll annoy us with a messed square most likely.

55) That one bothered me a lot too. I envisioned an Area 13 situation. Not pretty.

56) I'll wait for that one to be explained. I can buy that with all the problems around, a misplaced temporary worker could go under the radar. What has me jittery is the female Official. She could cause trouble. Or she could be part of the Rising.

57) So far, he's not so much joined as there. I don't think he is committed, just watching and waiting, trying to be near Cassia. And he's doing it for her. I didn't quite expect it, but didn't know how Condie would reunite them if he went to the mountains, so it made sense.

58) Liked the descriptions, the way feelings and though are rendered.
Though the voices were too similar.

59) The shades paragraphs, hands down. Cassia thinking their souls are carved like the Canion near the end is a good second.

60) Sure!

Extra: She's so going to meet up with Xander.

message 44: by Lisarenee (new) - added it

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Zanahoria (Taly) wrote: "50) Lol, I flipped too. Zeroed in into that one sentence and stared at it gape-mouthed. It looks like.

51) Yeah, the love despite lack of perfection, despite lack of complete symbiosis every YA se..."

50) I was hoping I was misinterpreting it. So if he did it, did he put in his name to be matched or did he make it specifically pick her or just mess with her card?

51) I liked that she liked him despite his imperfections as well.

52) Yes. I was a little surprised she considered taking the red tablet, however.

53) I guess your right, if you don't trust them, why trust them with the lives of others?

54) lol I hope not.

55) I hope that didn't happen. Could the Rising be the ones hiding the DNA samples and not the Society?

56) Ohhhh. I hadn't thought about that. Maybe that Official was part of the Rising. That would be a nice twist.

57) I thought they made him a pilot.

58)I did too. I like Condie's style.

59)I did like her and Ky's canyon descriptions

60) I'll have to check when it comes out and start a thread.

I wonder how that meeting with Xander will go. Should be interesting.

message 45: by Lisarenee (new) - added it

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Sorry Taly, Somehow I missed your post.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Crossed (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Stephenie Meyer (other topics)
Ally Condie (other topics)