SHSU Library Science Book Club discussion

The Knife of Never Letting Go (Chaos Walking, #1)
This topic is about The Knife of Never Letting Go
The Knife of Never Letting Go > THE KNIFE OF NEVER LETTING GO by Patrick Ness

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Karin (kperry) | 89 comments Mod
Post your comments about THE KNIFE OF NEVER LETTING GO in this discussion thread.

Kristine Hall (kristinehallways) Arrgh. This still hasn't been returned to the library! May have to break down &buy it.

Stephanie Sapp | 13 comments look for the audio version, oh so good!

Kristine Hall (kristinehallways) I started this last night &can't put it down. So good! Dr. P, I couldn't get the follett thing to work. It is checked out (to me, I think), but it wouldn't open on my iPad or pc. I just borrowed the hard copy from the hs library, but it would be nice to read the sequels on my iPad. Will try again after checkout period ends. (Tomorrow, I think)

Kristine Hall (kristinehallways) Finished! Loved this, though talk about leaving a story absolutely in the middle of the road. I enjoyed not knowing a thing about this book before I started - setting, plot, premise - nothing. Very cool. I blogged about it (http://kristinehallways.blogspot.com/...).

Favorite character was really Manchee, the dog! Want to hear what others thought!

Danis | 25 comments Kristine wrote: "Finished! Loved this, though talk about leaving a story absolutely in the middle of the road. I enjoyed not knowing a thing about this book before I started - setting, plot, premise - nothing. Very..."

Oh, yes, the very first paragraph gets you interested in Manchee right away!

Denise (marygarylibrary) | 2 comments I downloaded the next two on my Kindle...for free! Lucky me! I wish I had the audio books, it would have been interesting to put voice with the characters.

Kristine Hall (kristinehallways) Free? Awesome! I just burned through The Ask and the Answer and am now about 30 pages into Monsters of Men. This really should be one massive book. Guess I'm treating it as one!

It would be very interesting to listen to this -- how did they handle the Noise?

Denise (marygarylibrary) | 2 comments I listened to an excerpt on Amazon.com and they just used different voices for the Noise.

Stephanie Sapp | 13 comments I love the way the author gives Todd an authentic voice. I was laughing and crying. I think this book is effing good. I read it last year but this discussion has pushed me to find the second book on audio.

Kristine Hall (kristinehallways) Stephanie wrote: "I love the way the author gives Todd an authentic voice. I was laughing and crying. I think this book is effing good. I read it last year but this discussion has pushed me to find the second book..."

Ha! Your "effing" comment made me laugh. That was one of my favorite aspects of Ness's writing. He'd have Todd quote himself saying, "but I didn't say effing." Definitely made him real. I just finished the third book last night. You must keep reading -- it has some surprising turns.

Kristine Hall (kristinehallways) Mary Denise wrote: "I listened to an excerpt on Amazon.com and they just used different voices for the Noise."

Mary Denise - did they have just one narrator but then use many voices for the Noise? Interesting, though I guess it probably didn't cost them much to just have a bunch of people talking.

Karin (kperry) | 89 comments Mod
The voices are done so they are like whispering over each other. It is amazing. So, did you ever get Follett to work? Maybe we could meet on Skype and go through the process together.

Kristine Hall (kristinehallways) I did get Follett to work. I think there was just a glitch the first few times I tried. I ended up uninstalling/reinstalling the app, and eventually, it cooperated. I found that the pages turned SUPER slow, so I checked-out the books at the library to finish the sequels.

Melissa | 5 comments I loved this book. I read it a couple of years ago. I really liked the whole trilogy, but I thought the first one was the best.

Kristine Hall (kristinehallways) I agree, Melissa! The first was the best, and really, my favorite character is still Manchee, the dog. So memorable.