812 Discussion discussion

Memoir > Interview: Meaningful Experience

Comments (showing 1-21 of 21) (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ms. Flagg (new)

Ms. Flagg (MissFlagg) | 11 comments Mod
Interview a parent/adult/teacher about a meaningful experience that they had in which they learned something. If they are stuck, use some of the brainstorming strategies learned in class, such as identifying a strong emotion (fear, insecurity, anger, determination, etc) and then explaining how you confronted the internal conflict.

In your response, make sure to:
-identify the speaker
-the speaker's age/setting
-his/her conflict
-how he/she handled the conflict
-what he/she learned from the experience

message 2: by Matthew (new)

Matthew | 11 comments Speaker - Sharon Torres
Age/Setting - 29/Office

Sharon had a fear of speaking in public. One day at work her boss told her she had to be a presentation in front of some new employees. Sharon was nervous as she hadn't done this before. Her stomach was in knots all day. When it came her time to speak, she stood up in front of the audience and gave her speech. She stook there nervously and her hands were sweaty but she got through it. She learned that it wasnt so bad to speak in public as long as you didnt look directly at the audience.

message 3: by Elva (last edited Sep 20, 2012 04:02PM) (new)

Elva C. | 13 comments Speaker- Jenny
age-12 setting-school, home

There was this girl in my school who was poor. She had good grades. Her mother works for many jobs. She didn't have a father either. One job was cleaning toilets. People in the school then started to make fun of her and saying that she is a disgrace. One day, the girl started to hang out with people in her school who didn't really study well. Soon, her grade dropped very low and became bad. Her mother found out about it and wouldn't speak to her. All she said is, "Do whatever you want" till then, she decided to study well and just ignore the other students. She learned that she should not follow other people's footsteps and just do what she really wants to do.

message 4: by Mark (new)

Mark Markola | 5 comments My mom Anna, age 37
Setting: Bedroom
Age of conflict: 8

As a little girl my mom, Anna had a fear of the dark. She was convinced that something is lurking in the shadows waiting to attack. She would arm herself with comfort items, like a blanket, a stuffed animal, and a night-light, to help her sleep soundly. Her parents were supportive and would say and do all the right things to help her get rid of her fear but it was only when she decided to face her own fear was she able overcome her despair. Anna expressed that when the dark took over her sense of sight, her brain panicked, which created panic all over her body and caused her to pay much more attention to hearing and sounds. To get over her fear, she began to reason with herself and filled her mind with positive thoughts. She determined that the sounds she heard at night where coming from the old vent in her room and the squeaky footsteps were from the old wood floors in the hall as her parents would pass her room. She came to learn that her fear of the dark was brought on by her own imagination and scary thoughts.

message 5: by Emily (last edited Sep 19, 2012 06:32PM) (new)

Emily | 4 comments My brother, his 19. Lives with me and my parents. He wanted a job because he didn't have his own money for him to buy things he wanted. So he went to look for a job and now he works in Footlocker. He has learned how to be independent.

message 6: by Essam (new)

Essam Alhumoz | 7 comments Mohammed, Uncle, Rabat, Morocco, Newsstand
When my uncle Mohammed was 18 he took a college examination. Back then a college examination was a very big deal. My uncle Mohammed was always worried and nervous. His family, and friends would always be very supportive telling him he would do fine and not to worry. He was very depressed that day he didn’t eat or drink he would just wait outside of the Newsstand waiting for his results to arrive. He would try to comfort himself by going down to the beach to try to distract him from examination, and to relax. When his examination results arrived he found out he did very well, and was proud of himself. After, all the hard he learned that if you try hard you will always succeed

message 7: by Keary (new)

Keary Fulgencio | 3 comments My Mother Sandra, age 17
Setting: in her home
Age of the conflict: 8

When my mom was a little girl she had a fear that a monster was under her bed. When trying to go to sleep she would leave the light on and hide under the covers.she would also have a little blanket to talk to at night because she was scared. she would wear so socks to rub her feet and make a wish about the monster under her bed. So one day she decided to look under her bed because she thought it was not there anymore and she just saw a big body pillow and thought well i was scared to go to sleep for no reason. So what she learned from over coming her fears was that there is nothing to be scared of when going to sleep at night.

message 8: by Meng (new)

Meng (mangomeng) Speaker: Wai Bing(Mom) Setting: Living Room Age: 40

When my mom's mom birthday came, my mom, dad and I were invited to have dinner in Flushing Main Street at a big Chinese restaurant. Apparently my dad had to work and he worked late that day so only my mom and I went to my grandma's dinner. Since we had no idea where the restaurant was we kept going in the wrong direction. I kept telling her "just ask someone and we can get there quicker." but she just said I know my way here even though she didn't she had only been to the restaurant once but she forgot already like me. The dinner stared exactly at seven o'clock and it was seven already I was getting anxious and I was hungry. Finally when we were close to the restaurant my uncle called to see if we were there yet because no one was going to eat untill everyone is there and we were the last one's so I just told my mom to ask already and she finally did when my mom asked a guy he said it in a duh kind of voice, "It's right behind you." My mom and I were laughing because we looked all around us and the restaurant was right behind us but you could barely see it, it was up high, you had to walk up a set of stairs and we thought it just led up to an apartment. My mom swore to me that whenever she was lost ever again she would always ask for help and not waste any time trying to find it herself. I replied, "Please next time do that and we need to hurry up because the birthday grandma is hungry." We thanked the guy and made our way up the stairs and into the restaurant.

message 9: by Monica (new)

Monica | 14 comments My mom, Lily, age 10
Setting: At school

When my mom was in fourth grade, she never took any notes in class. Every day, when her teacher taught a lesson, she just listened and memorized every word the teacher said. All the other students were taking notes. One day, the teacher began to review all of the things necessary for a test next week. Each student was supposed to take their notebooks home and review all of the notes they had taken in class. All the other students did what the teacher asked, but my mom didn't. She thought she knew everything, so on that night, she did not review at all. On the day of the test, my mom was very surprised. More than half of the questions on the test she had no idea what to do. To make a long story short, she ended up failing the test. The lesson she learned was to take notes in class even though she knew everything. This way, before any test, she can review her notes and get a very good score.

message 10: by Ramsey (last edited Sep 20, 2012 04:24AM) (new)

Ramsey (TheRamsey3000) | 4 comments When my mom was 23 years old she wanted to move to New York City to pursue her dream as a special affects makeup artist. But coming from a small Florida town little did she know that she would have to go to Hollywood to pursue that dream.
"I can't beleive it I finally sold the last of my things" I say as I walk out of my empty apartment and look up into the sky. It's a beautiful day with the sun in the blue clear sky and a gentle breeze blowing. I know its the right choose, but I can't help thinking of my family. My sisters, my mom, my home. I will be leaving everything I know. I pack my boxes in my friends car and we drive off to the bus station. I get out and hug my friend good bye I hesitate a bit but them I board the bus bound for the big city. I look out the window at the passing trees and finally after the longest ride of my life the trees turn into buildings and the silence turns into cars honking. I get out of the bus and carry my two boxes up to the street corner of Penn station.
"Well here I am, I can't beleive it, New York City!" I say to myself. I cross the street and walk down into the train station.
Off she went never looking back she entered the big city and if it wasnt for here bravery to make such a life changing decision I wouldnt exist.

message 11: by Kimora (new)

Kimora Irby | 5 comments My mom was 13 when she lied to her dad and at the end learned a vauable lesson. She lied to her dad because she wanted to go to a party with her friends she knew her dad would say no so when he went to work and her grandmother came over to watch her and her sisters. She waited until she was fast asleep and she snuck out. The lesson she learned was that its better just to ask your parents and not sneak out because when she finally made it back home the door was locked and she had to sleep outside.

message 12: by Ramsey (new)

Ramsey (TheRamsey3000) | 4 comments When my mom was 23 years old she wanted to move to New York City to pursue her dream as a special affects makeup artist. But coming from a small Florida town little did she know that she would have to go to Hollywood to pursue that dream.
"I can't beleive it I finally sold the last of my things" I say as I walk out of my empty apartment and look up into the sky. It's a beautiful day with the sun in the blue clear sky and a gentle breeze blowing. I know its the right choose, but I can't help thinking of my fatmiley. My sisters, my mom, my home. I will be leaving everything I know. I pack my boxes in my friends car and we drive off to the bus station. I get out and hug my friend good bye I hesitate a bit but them I board the bus bound for the big city. I look out the window at the passing trees and finally after the longest ride of my life the trees turn into buildings and the silence turns into cars honking. I get out of the bus and carry my two boxes up to the street corner of Penn station.
"Well here I am, I can't beleive it, New York City!" I say to myself. I cross the street and walk down into the train station.
Off she went never looking back she entered the big city and if it wasnt for here bravery to make such a life changing decision I wouldnt exist.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Uncle(Alain)/Age:13/Setting: Kitchen

When my uncle was little at the age of 13, he was in school. Back in the days, they also had tests to get good grades. My uncle's mom was always yelling at him to get studying for the test coming up in 2 weeks. My uncle didn't listen and instead played a lot. He didn't test notes in class and also did not study at home. He ignored the test.

Until the day of the test, my uncle was not ready to take the test. He was having tons of trouble. Bad news is that he failed. That caused him to have bad grades and he regrets that he did not study when his mom told him to.

This was a meaningful experience for my uncle. He learned to always study before a test and always take notes to do good in school.

message 14: by Jack (new)

Jack Brill | 12 comments Mom: Judy Age: 6 yrs old Setting: Queens

When my mom was six years old her grandmother had a amethyst emerald cut ring and my mom spent alot of time with her grandmother because her parents spent alot of time traveling and my mom said " she is the grandmother you would dream for" and when she was little she would always play with it and try it on and before she passed away she gave it to my grandmother and before my grandmother passed away she gave it to my mom which made her so happy because for her whole life she was obssesed with that ring and it is finally her's and now my sister also like's the ring.

message 15: by Monica (new)

Monica | 14 comments Mom, 9 years old, in china

When my mom was in fourth grade, she had a big test. It was very important;she didn't want to fail it. There was a mandatory textbook that she had to take home to study, but she had forgotten to take it home. Every single lesson in that book was necessary for the test. My mom felt horrible, she knew she was going to fail the test. Just because of that one textbook, her teachers were mad at her and her friends thought she was unresponsible for anything. Her parents also chastised her and my mom knew that she had to remember to take any textbook to study for any kind of test.

message 16: by Mark (new)

Mark Markola | 5 comments My father/Age of conflict: 6/Setting: Home

When my dad was five years old his dad who was a very successful man had died in front of him from an instant heart attack. My father didn’t understand what was happening at the moment but a day later he finally understood what happened and he cried every day and he was so mournful. A lot of other people just felt so sad about what happened to him, and what he is going through so they tried to make him feel better. The funeral took place inside the house but it got so crowded, some people had to go outside in the backyard. Once the funeral was over one man who felt extremely sorry for my father, gave him a bicycle to make him happy again and forget about the pain. In my dad’s country the village he had lived in, it was rare for a five year old to be riding a bike, and a bike was one of the most popular things. My father loved the bike, he would ride it around for fun and he would ride along a path as his mother guided him and protected him. As my dad got older he still used the bike a lot and he cherished it for a long time.

message 17: by Elva (last edited Sep 26, 2012 04:19PM) (new)

Elva C. | 13 comments My Mom/age: 40/ setting: Home

This year, my mom had been saving up for an iphone. It was expensive and my mom was saving money to buy one. She put a lot of effort to get the iphone. In January, my mom finally bought the iphone that she had been saving money up for. Not even 2 months, she lost it. She even cried because she worked so hard to save up for it, and didn't know how she would've been able to loose it, when she was so careful about it. I felt really sad for her and I wished that I could go and buy her a new one, but I also know that I can't go buy her another one, because I don't have the money. Then, when my mom's birthday was coming up, my dad got her a new iphone. She was so happy and grateful for the iphone my dad bought for her.

message 18: by Meng (last edited Sep 26, 2012 04:19PM) (new)

Meng (mangomeng) Parent: Mom Age: 5 years old Setting: Home
When my mom was five years old she had this tiny doll that was made of fabric and it was from my mom's aunt. Her aunt was from Hong Kong and my mom lived in Guang Zhou. She gave it to my mom on her birthday because she wanted her to become smart and kind just like the doll, she also wanted my mom to be a doctor. The doll's eyes could blink when you tilted it sideways or back and forth. This doll always had a bright smile and whenever my mom was accused of doing something or she got upset about something she would always go to her doll and the doll would always be smiling at her and whenever my mom saw it nothing mattered anymore she would forget about the bad things. Also when she faced great obstacles she would look at the doll and see her aunt saying, "You can do it, just believe in yourself and try your best it doesn't matter if you fail just do and try your very best." And her aunt would be smiling at her brightly. Then she would put more effort and work into whatever she was trying to achieve This was the object that was most important to my mom when she was little.

message 19: by Emily (new)

Emily | 4 comments Brother : Dennys Age : 18 Setting : School

My brother Dennys was 18 years old, in the 12th grade about to graduate soon. But his problem was that he was in between of passing and failing. So for him to be able to graduate he did all his work on time and did everything possible for him to get his grades up and to be able to graduate. He has learned is not to slack off, because that will hurt your education in the future and your future career.

message 20: by Steven (new)

Steven Lin | 8 comments Brother:Billy Age:6 Setting:Home
My brother Billy was 6 year old when he broke my mom's vase. He was scared that Mom would yell at him for it. So when Mom found out a bout the broken vase she asked who did it. I told here i did not, as i look over at my brother he also said i don't know. Later i asked him why did he tell Mom the truth. He told me that he did not want to get in trouble. Then after a few hours the lies went on as she asked us about it. But then it went on he got guilty about doing it and in the end he told her the truth. He had learned that its better to tell the truth than lie.

message 21: by Ramsey (new)

Ramsey (TheRamsey3000) | 4 comments When my mother had moved to New York City her sister Jerry had went to visit her many years later when I was a baby. When she came to visit we all went the central park zoo, my mother knew that my Aunt Jerry loved to collect frogs so when she saw the little fright in the gift shop she bought it for her. After my Aunt Jerry died in surgery my mom and her family all got to go to her house and pick one thing they wanted. My mom saw the little frog she had gotten my Aunt Jerry and she knew she wanted it. That fog is in my house right now on the bookcase.