Indie Book Club discussion

Marketing > Hey Indie's, I got a question

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lorena (new)

Lorena Bathey (lorenabathey) | 12 comments Hey fellow Indie authors,
I need some help. I have reviewers that want to read and review my book, but I'm part of KDP so I can't do what I used to do with smashwords and give them a code to access my ebooks. I don't want to send PDF's because while I don't think they would all do this, some might just pass it around.
SO...
My question is, how do I give a free download on Amazon so that reviewers can read to review but not pass it around, is it possible?

Lorena Bathey
Author/Publisher

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

You can gift an ebook on Amazon. You go to your book's page on Amazon, and click "Give as a Gift." The button is under the buy button. Then you follow the instructions, which are basically putting the other person's email address in the form, then Amazon will send them an email. They get a link to download your book.

The catch? You have to buy your own book to do this. You're paying for it, but instead of downloading it yourself, the other person gets it. It's not ideal, but it's about the only way I can think of that would do what you're wanting. Hope that helps.

Mona

message 3: by Lorena (new)

Lorena Bathey (lorenabathey) | 12 comments Thanks Mona, I saw that option. I've written to Amazon, about this...but haven't heard back.

message 4: by Jeffrey, Lentarian Fire Thrower (new)

Jeffrey Poole (authorjmpoole) | 2287 comments Mod
Yeah, Mona is right. Until they develop some type of "coupon" system, the only way to do it (that I'm aware of) is to purchase a copy of your own book and then gift it to whomever you'd like.

message 5: by Valerie (new)

Valerie Zambito | 8 comments Hi Lorena - You can just send a reviewer the mobi file if they have a Kindle.

message 6: by Sky (new)

Sky Corbelli | 114 comments Lorena, sending the reviewer a digital copy of the book (as a .prc/.mobi/.epub/.pdf) is mechanically the same as giving them a Smashwords coupon. The only difference is that you don't have Smashwords in the middle telling them not to share it.

If you're worried about them passing it around, you just need to add a footnote to your email that you are licensing the book to them for their personal reading enjoyment only, and bam, you're as covered as you would be through Smashwords. I would include instructions on how to sideload the book to their reader as well, personally.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Sky's right - Smashwords files don't have DRM protection, like Amazon ebooks do, so it's the same as directly emailing them a .mobi file or a PDF or whatever. I didn't think of that. His suggestion for putting a footnote in your email is probably your best option :)

message 8: by Lorena (new)

Lorena Bathey (lorenabathey) | 12 comments Thanks guys. I didn't know that about Smashwords. I am less worried than my business manager. But if you think about it, if they do share the book it's word of mouth advertising...right?
I will do what you guys advised. Great advice!