The Complete Short Stories The Complete Short Stories discussion

Wowee

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Kevin Donlan This book is a great travel companion. Hemingway captures the simplistic beauty of the world while touching on real life issues. Although he may be shovanistic at times, his portrayal of male/female interactions in his time reflects strongly upon how they are today (with underlying old fashioned values very prominent throughout). A very enjoyable read. I would definitely recommend to those interested in worldly knowledge and experiences.

Jason Lilly I agree. I prefer Hemingway's stories over his novels. I carry this book with me often whether I plan to read it or not. I am glad you enjoyed it.

message 3: by D. (new) - rated it 5 stars

D. Hilliard This book is essential Hemingway. Every writer should own a copy. It's grace and economy of word are the epitome of a true master writer. If it has any shortcoming it's probably that it is a bit inaccessible to people unfamiliar with the Spanish Civil War and also the prevailing attitudes of that time period. Hemingway was actually somewhat a progressive of his time.

Daniel2 D.,

Every writer should own two copies. One for the writer's desk and another to give away to a fellow writer who is in danger of scribbling out the next Twilight.

Also, I don't think a lack of Spanish Civil War knowledge makes it inaccessible, though it might certainly augment the reader's experience. I have absolutely no idea what happened with old Franco and still found the stories compelling. Hemingway is that good at laying bare the human spirit.

Tall I love Hemingway's short fiction. I hate his novels; I have never been able to get through a single one of them. But his short stories are poignant and compelling. Go figure.

message 6: by Monty J (last edited Mar 01, 2013 12:38PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Monty J Heying I have the Finca Vigia edition, and it's falling apart.

I hope this is available in eBook form.

But I like seeing it on my shelf. Battered and taped together. We've come a long way together.

Something you can't get with an eBook.

Tall I have the Finca Vigia edition, as well. It's a good collection, definitely.

Charles I don't fish, haven't fished since I was 12, probably will never fish again...but "The Big Two-Hearted River" makes me a believer. Back in college, a professor kicked off an "environmental writing" class with that story. I had been expecting Edward Abbey or John Muir, not Hemimgway, but as I read the story, and then the rest of the Nick Adams tales, I was swept away by his descriptions of Michigan and its people...the dying timber towns, the layers of history already wiped off the map, the interesting folks from the era. Amazing stuff.