Completists' Club discussion

Authors Q-T > Paul Scott

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by mark (new)

mark monday (happy-end-of-the-world) | 44 comments love. although i hope that Paul Bryant does not find this discussion topic. look away, Paul, look away!

The Raj Quartet: The Jewel In The Crown, The Day Of The Scorpion, The Towers Of Silence, A Division Of Spoils.
Staying On
The Corrida at San Feliu
Johnnie Sahib

message 2: by Megha (new)

Megha (hearthewindsing) | 27 comments I read 'The Jewel In the Crown'. But the dry details-details-details turned me off of reading more Paul Scott.

Now I will go stand in the opposite corner with Paul B.

Carry on.

message 3: by mark (new)

mark monday (happy-end-of-the-world) | 44 comments yes, go to that corner! plus i will be sending you a copy of White Noise as a symbol of my displeasure.

it's funny, i've read the 'dry' comment before regarding Scott but it is hard for me to see it. details a'plenty, yes, but i think his prose is so [enter corny words like poetic, lyrical, evocative, etc here] that i never see him as dry.

message 4: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl | 123 comments I will be a Scott completist.

I need to reread the Raj Quartet so I can rewatch the DVDs, which I own, bitches.

message 5: by mark (new)

mark monday (happy-end-of-the-world) | 44 comments same here!

once i put off breaking up with some jerk because we were in the middle of watching the series and he owned the vhs tapes.

message 6: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl | 123 comments Low!

message 7: by mark (new)

mark monday (happy-end-of-the-world) | 44 comments priorities are important!

message 8: by Megha (new)

Megha (hearthewindsing) | 27 comments mark wrote: "yes, go to that corner! plus i will be sending you a copy of White Noise as a symbol of my displeasure.

it's funny, i've read the 'dry' comment before regarding Scott but it is hard for me to see ..."

I did like the sections about Edwina Crane and Hari Kumar. I still remember the scene where (view spoiler)
But that journal section was basically a textbook. And the conversations in other sections felt a bit too formal at times.

message 9: by Megha (last edited Sep 19, 2012 04:46PM) (new)

Megha (hearthewindsing) | 27 comments mark wrote: "yes, go to that corner! plus i will be sending you a copy of White Noise as a symbol of my displeasure."

How about I read two Mervyn Peake novels instead of one DeLillo?
My Tournier read is due as well.

message 10: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl | 123 comments I seem to have read six now. The four in the Raj Quartet plus

Six Days in Marapore
The Love Pavilion

The Love Pavilion was disappointing. My review is here -

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...