Completists' Club discussion

Richard Powers
This topic is about Richard Powers
Authors M-P > Richard Powers

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jonfaith (last edited Sep 18, 2012 05:15PM) (new)

Jonfaith | 26 comments Anyone know whether the short pieces, nonfiction and interviews have been collected/published?

I've read almost all of the novels. That will be corrected soon.

message 2: by Jonfaith (new)

Jonfaith | 26 comments Glanced at MJ's guidelines per withering two line capsules for each novel. Maybe I'll prove craven for the task in this case.

RP was so nerdy and so me for a long stretch. It was almost a protest vote. See, this is who I really am. I don't need to be with you. Oh dear, that was too much, no? Waxing personal, yet again. I later found a door slammed in my face over an adoration for Richard Powers. Maybe that stung, festered, and influenced subsequent understanding? Maybe I matured as a reader? Maybe Richard Powers hit an arid patch?

message 3: by Jonfaith (last edited Sep 18, 2012 05:39PM) (new)

Jonfaith | 26 comments Bibliography: hacked away from wikiland.

(1985) Three Farmers on Their Way to a Dance
(1988) Prisoner's Dilemma
(1991) The Gold Bug Variations
(1993) Operation Wandering Soul
(1995) Galatea 2.2
(1998) Gain
(2000) Plowing the Dark
(2003) The Time of Our Singing

(2006) The Echo Maker
(2009) Generosity

message 4: by Stephen M (new)

Stephen M | 41 comments Everything about this guy makes me think he'd be my next favorite author. I might give Three Farmers a go to test out the water. (I'm trying to do the chronological thing as much as I can.)

message 5: by MJ (new)

MJ Nicholls (mjnicholls) | 211 comments I found Galatea 2.2 a terrifc entrypoint to Powersland. Mind you, I still haven't read a second book by him so something went wrong there.

message 6: by Ian (new)

Ian "Marvin" Graye MJ wrote: "I found Galatea 2.2 a terrifc entrypoint to Powersland."

I second that emotion.

message 7: by Nathan "N.R." (new)

Nathan "N.R." Gaddis (nathannrgaddis) | 258 comments Should you desire, you needn't be intimidated by the rather smart Gold-Bug. Galatea 2.2 is my next Powers and it'll be close to being a make-r-break.

message 8: by Jonfaith (new)

Jonfaith | 26 comments I've read G2.2 at least twice; it is th em"moral core" of Richard Powers, whatever that means, agonizingly confessional, its exploration of artificial intelligence is touching and illuminating.

message 9: by Ian (new)

Ian "Marvin" Graye Nathan "N.R." wrote: "Should you desire, you needn't be intimidated by the rather smart Gold-Bug. Galatea 2.2 is my next Powers and it'll be close to being a make-r-break."

I, not having read TGBV yet, still suspect that if you've read TGBV, you will enjoy G2.2.