The Doctor Rules!!!!!! discussion

Randomness > Physics

Comments (showing 1-20 of 20) (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

People have begun to randomly discuss physics so now here's a proper place to do so! *looks at Axela and Laszlo*

message 2: by Laszlo (new)

Laszlo (Steampunk) | 774 comments (Waves.)

message 3: by Leyah (new)

Leyah (WholockianHobbit) | 365 comments It's a warm summer evening circa 600 BC. You've finished your shopping at the local market, or, agora. And you look up at the night sky. There you notice some of the stars seem to move, so you name them planets, or wanderer...

message 5: by Laszlo (new)

Laszlo (Steampunk) | 774 comments The Higgs field might be what gives subatomic particles mass.

message 6: by Axela (last edited Sep 19, 2012 04:45AM) (new)

Axela | 415 comments *waves girlishly* Hiii!!!

Right! *claps hands* Laszlo, if this is ever going to work, you've got to substantiate your claims in the same post where you make them. I'm getting tired of asking "what's that mean?"

So: Explain away!

message 7: by Laszlo (new)

Laszlo (Steampunk) | 774 comments Sorry! Recently scientists have been trying to find the Higgs particle. They are trying to do this because the Higgs field might explain what gives subatomic particles mass.

message 8: by Leyah (new)

Leyah (WholockianHobbit) | 365 comments Ooh, interesting.

message 9: by Laszlo (new)

Laszlo (Steampunk) | 774 comments Thank you!

message 10: by Axela (new)

Axela | 415 comments Leyah wrote: "It's a warm summer evening circa 600 BC. You've finished your shopping at the local market, or, agora. And you look up at the night sky. There you notice some of the stars seem to move, so you name..."

LOL Isn't that from the Big Bang Theory?

Laszlo wrote: "Sorry! Recently scientists have been trying to find the Higgs particle. They are trying to do this because the Higgs field might explain what gives subatomic particles mass."

If they are particles, they should have mass, though being subatomic they must be really small. Why would we need to explain WHAT gives them mass?

message 11: by Laszlo (new)

Laszlo (Steampunk) | 774 comments Why do we need to explain anything? We are here? It seems the only answer is that we want to know.

message 12: by Axela (new)

Axela | 415 comments Good point. So... Hm.

What is the reasoning behind the attempt to find a Higgs particle? Why do we believe it exists to be found?

message 13: by Laszlo (new)

Laszlo (Steampunk) | 774 comments It was theorize last in the 40's I think. It was an explanation as to why some subatomic particles have mass and others don't. We found something which could be a Higgs particle on July 4th.

message 14: by Axela (new)

Axela | 415 comments The Doctor said that something that existed before time was impossible. I thinkn I have disproven that.

No, no, hear me out!

Entropy creates time. entropy is made by heat moving from one place to another within a closed system. Assume the universe, newly created, is a closed system. In the instant between the universe's creation and the first movement of heat creating entropy, the universe is timeless. It could be infinitely small in an entropy-measured version of time, but in that instant there could have been thousands, millions of years of evolution and... time. In that space of time the Horned Beast could have come into existance, grown, been fought, been defeated, and been imprisoned. In the Impossible Planet/The Satan Pit, the TARDIS cannot translate the language because it existed before time. And the Horned Beast isn't... being untruthful, or whatever. This language is very limited. But nonetheless, I have had an epiphany that the Doctor. Was wrong. :)

message 15: by Axela (new)

Axela | 415 comments Hello? Come on, guys, I was really proud of myself! If it doesn't make any sense, please, tell me!

CaptKirk42 Classic Whovian (klandersen) | 1145 comments Mod
Axela,
I think it makes sense, but I'm not a huge physics knowledgeable person so I'm impressionable. :)

message 17: by Laszlo (new)

Laszlo (Steampunk) | 774 comments Sorry, but I love Physics. Quantum, Particle, all of it. It makes perfect sense to me.

message 18: by Leyah (new)

Leyah (WholockianHobbit) | 365 comments Axela wrote: "The Doctor said that something that existed before time was impossible. I thinkn I have disproven that.

No, no, hear me out!

Entropy creates time. entropy is made by heat moving from one place t..."

I wonder who does the physics part in Doctor Who? And no, I'm not refering to the Doctor. :)

CaptKirk42 Classic Whovian (klandersen) | 1145 comments Mod
Leyah wrote: "I wonder who does the physics part in Doctor Who? And no, I'm not refering to the Doctor. :)
"

That should be the role of the script editors and their staff, which should include some kind of scientific consultant.

I remember seeing a Star Trek "behind the scenes" special once on I think it was the Next Generation series. They talked to all sorts of production people and I think it was one of the script editors or maybe on of the technical consultants. They said that usually a script will have sections where the writers didn't know the technical terms for things so they had some sort of code or signal to "insert technical Trek language here". It would not surprise me if Doctor Who had some similar sort of system in the works. A "insert Doctor's timey whimey technical babble" line.

message 20: by Axela (new)

Axela | 415 comments LOL *insert technobabble here*