A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire, #1) A Game of Thrones discussion

George R.R. Martin sure loves breakfast?

Comments Showing 1-47 of 47 (47 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Samantha Thomas Why does George R.R. Martin insinst on informing us of what each character has for breakfast?

And when will someone in Westeros (or beyooooond) invent the word breakfast?

Also, what did you break your fast on this morning?
I broke my own fast on a baked bread wheel popular in an eastern citadel of the realm, slathered with a creamed cheese and I washed it down with a dark brewed coffee sweetened with milk and cocoa.

Helen Stevens I broke my fast on a bar of granola sweetened with syrup of the maple tree, a ripened fruit of the banana tree, and a mild brewed coffee with steamed milk.

I'd noticed that about Martin too :) Bless him!!

message 3: by Kat (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kat Oh that annoys me SO much :) just put the two words together already!

Lol the your fast breaking is truly appetising after a long sleep I myself was in need of breaking my fast with a strong cup of tea, sweetened with sugar grown on the western plains. I ate the delectable seed of the apple tree as it came into bloom followed by heated bread baked in the furnaces of the local kitchens

Jason Parent What stands out to me is the lamprey pie, a popular dish wherever Tyrion goes to eat it seems.

Chris-james Melchizedek I broke my fast with a double serve of poached eggs and a green salad glazed with Oduz oil, lemon joice and himilayan sea salt

message 6: by Matthew (last edited Sep 18, 2012 09:42PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Matthew Williams Now this is a thread I can get excited about! All this talk about characters and were they justified. Pshaw! Boring! Also, in case you haven't read them yet, I should let you know that it doesn't let up in later installments either. Boiled eggs and bacon with the grease slathered over bread. Eggs and peppers, Dornish style. Lemon cakes and dark ale. Oh yeah!

As for me, I broke my fast on a multi-grain bagel with creamed cheese slathered generously over it, washed down with rich espresso coffee fortified with frothed milk and sweetened with sugar from the southern isles and cinnamon spice from the East.

Elizabeth Jasper I am currently breaking my fast with a beverage made by steeping the leaves of a fragrant plant from the eastern slopes of a high mountain in the Himalayas in hot water, sweetened with aspartame and a tranche of bread made by my own fair hands - a little stale, but it's too early for the baker to fire up the furnace for the villagers to bake their bread this day.

message 8: by Kat (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kat This post is making me hungry... I think that means it is time to break my fast ;)

C-Cose Daley I generally break my fast in the tradition of courtesans, wenches, and serving men throughout time .... an infusion of the coffee bean--sweetened and lightened--with a pinch of tobacco rolled in parchment :)

message 10: by Jeni (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jeni This is a phrase my grandmother even used to say: "Get up! Time to break your fast!" It's just the way they used to say it.

My fast was broken with hot coffee and poptarts. I'm not quite sure I'd fit in amongst the Westerosians.

Jason Parent Why am I finding this so amusing? What's wrong with me.

message 12: by Jeni (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jeni Nothing is wrong with you, my good man. But hark! If you do not break your fast, you will be muchly enhungered by your nooning meal.

message 13: by Kat (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kat Jason wrote: "Why am I finding this so amusing? What's wrong with me."

Don't worry I'm laughing so much with this post XD
and lo you civilians of the realm have provided much to consider when I break my fast on the morrow.

Samantha Thomas Jason wrote: "What stands out to me is the lamprey pie, a popular dish wherever Tyrion goes to eat it seems."

Tyrion loves lamprey pie and velvet doublets more than he loves whores.

message 15: by Jason (last edited Sep 19, 2012 10:29AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jason Parent I am on the final 20 pages of Book 2 and am wondering why the Boltons and the Reeds seem to have been stricken entirely from the show - too many characters, I suppose.

I consider myself an adventurous eater, but when I think of lamprey pie, I think of those ugly fish with lightbulbs on their heads made into something that looks like a meat pie, and I don't want any part of it.

I broke my fast with steak, lightly seasoned, that I had to cook myself last night because I lack even a hedge knight's or lesser lord's resources. But I put fork to purpose (the last line was "Spartacus" talk, sorry)

message 16: by Jeni (last edited Sep 19, 2012 10:33AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jeni Think more like a jawless-eel-that-functions-like-a-leech pie. That's a lamprey.

Forsooth! An honest meal for an honest man!

Jason Parent Jeni wrote: "Think more like a jawless-eel-that-functions-like-a-leech pie. That's a lamprey.

Forsooth! An honest meal for an honest man!"

That's even more disgusting!

message 18: by Jeni (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jeni Jason wrote: "That's even more disgusting!"

Yep! A quick Google image search will make you wish you'd never seen one.

Mitali Martin deliberately uses a more old-fashioned form of words. The word breakfast is actually a fusion of break and fast - as is obvious, of course.

The food mentioned in the series is mostly authentic Medieval English dishes. Some sound quite disgusting to us - like lamprey pie - but apparently, they were genuine delicacies in the Middle Ages. Even the lack of forks and the characters' habit of eating with their hands and a dagger is authentic.

Sunleister Haha love this thread!

This morning I broke my fast with milk of the cow fashioned to a creamy delight adorned with grain and dried berries of the forest. To quench my thirst I brewed spiced vanilla leaves from the east sweetened with cream and sugar.

message 21: by Kat (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kat Sunleister wrote: "Haha love this thread!

This morning I broke my fast with milk of the cow fashioned to a creamy delight adorned with grain and dried berries of the forest. To quench my thirst I brewed spiced vanil..."

Hmm that sounds delectable my friend I shall have to consume such a feast on the morrow

Samantha Thomas You guys make me proud to be a member of the Song of Ice and Fire Fast Breaking Club.

Matthew Williams Samantha wrote: "You guys make me proud to be a member of the Song of Ice and Fire Fast Breaking Club."

Oh, hilarious! Does this mean one of us has to be the bad boy who got cigarettes for Christmas?

Samantha Thomas Now I'm trying to cast The Breakfast Club with characters from Game of Thrones. So far, Tyrion is the nerd.

message 25: by Jason (last edited Sep 21, 2012 11:02AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jason Parent I don't know Anthony Michael Hall and and the guy who plays Theon have some similarities (both whiney). I like Bronn for Judd Nelson's role

message 26: by Joseph (last edited Sep 22, 2012 12:00PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Joseph back from peasants' market this chilly morning to break fast with three eggs plucked out of a raven's nest and whipped into an omelette w fresh ox milk cheese and diced dragon jalapeno ... loaded smoked sausage browned over dragon fire and finished in stone oven with whole tomato cut into four slices with my broadsword and of course rice gathered from near the river ... sausage grease was saved for onions and garlic that will be fired in it and then added to the pot hung over the fire for Targaryan bean soup ... need a digestif, no Dornish wine so this exotic grab paw will have to do ... need to remember to wipe my mouth on Cersei's skirt to get the sausage juice off my face and hands

message 27: by Joseph (last edited Sep 22, 2012 12:00PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Joseph C-Cose wrote: "I generally break my fast in the tradition of courtesans, wenches, and serving men throughout time .... an infusion of the coffee bean--sweetened and lightened--with a pinch of tobacco rolled in pa..."

have found that if you roll the leaves of tobacco on your leg and that you can produce a very satisfying and prolonged piece of pleasure ... it has the advantage of burning more slowly ... and you can save on the cost of parchment paper ... do not do this while wearing armor

Matthew Williams Samantha wrote: "Now I'm trying to cast The Breakfast Club with characters from Game of Thrones. So far, Tyrion is the nerd."

Genius! And I'm guessing Ned Stark would be the jock with the bad father? Who would be the rough kid? Jaime? That would make sense since he ends up with the preppy chick, who I would argue is Cersei... or possibly Sansa.

I'm putting way too much thought into this aren't I?

C-Cose Daley Joseph wrote: "C-Cose wrote: "I generally break my fast in the tradition of courtesans, wenches, and serving men throughout time .... an infusion of the coffee bean--sweetened and lightened--with a pinch of tobac..."

A suit of armour? Do you take me for a popinjay lordling that prances about and plays at swords?!?!? I think not my good man. Whole leaves of tobacco? 'Tis true ... I have seen this wondrous thing once or twice and have heard that they are bountiful in markets across the Great Sea. Sadly, I am a poor serving man with barely enough coin for my nooning meal .... hence the wenches fare that I break my fast with ...

LOL :D

Kirby lol! the fast breaking club, that's just hilarious! XD

Elizabeth Jasper Just come back to this thread after a couple of days away - it's better than ever! Thank you.

Joseph rode my steed to Inn by the Black River where the wenches are beyond comely and most kind to an ancient one ... the feast there is for the eyes as well as the hunger within ... sigh, would that i were young enough and man enough ... the wenches served up a slab of meat (not sure what animal, that had been softened by being beaten with a mace and then dropped in a batter of raven eggs and dredged in a white powdery substance that was ground by stone to the rear of the inn ... (No! neither they or i inhaled the substance and it was not powdered milk of the poppy!)... the meat was finished in a pot of boiling oil rendered i think from fat of the boar ... the wenches tended to my needs quite admirably even to the point of asking if i needed a potion which they called the 'blood of mary.' And,just before i left one of the wenches came and put her arm around my shoulder ... yes, this is a very fine inn and the wenches and food are redoubtable

Matthew Williams Joseph wrote: "rode my steed to Inn by the Black River where the wenches are beyond comely and most kind to an ancient one ... the feast there is for the eyes as well as the hunger within ... sigh, would that i w..."

So... chicken fried steak? Masterfully rendered by the way, you are a Tolkien-esque (or Martin-esque) wordsmith, clearly!

message 34: by Joseph (last edited Sep 23, 2012 11:59AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Joseph Matthew wrote: "Joseph wrote: "rode my steed to Inn by the Black River where the wenches are beyond comely and most kind to an ancient one ... the feast there is for the eyes as well as the hunger within ... sigh,..."

aww, shucks ... thanks ... yes it was chicken fried steak

message 35: by Samuel (last edited Sep 23, 2012 12:17PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Samuel Medina Just beyond the borders of the Dark Fells, a fat little man with a wandering eye stuffed another strip of bacon in his mouth with a laugh. "A fine job we did with that boar, Elsa, better still that we got him from that play-king's herds without a soul being the wiser."

... from a book with no title as yet.

Yannis I left my fast unbowed, unbent, unbroken.

message 37: by [deleted user] (last edited Sep 25, 2012 04:01AM) (new)

For hours he walks to the nearest tavern every day to taste the most exquisite bacon on earth ever cooked. But today he is running wild. He cannot afford to eat the bacon cold. He is sweating hard but he doesn't care. He only wants to eat his bacon hot. Someone is shouting "WINTER IS COMING". Winter is cooommiiiinggg! No sire, he will not risk it.

C-Cose Daley Kate wrote: ""WINTER IS COMING". Winter is cooommiiiinggg!"

We've been yelling that since about mid-August up here in New Brunswick, Canada, Kate .... lol :)

message 39: by [deleted user] (last edited Sep 25, 2012 04:14AM) (new)

Consider me selfish but can we switch places please? Winter will never come in our place and it is unbearably HOT!

C-Cose Daley Kate wrote: "Consider me selfish but can we switch places please? Winter will never come in our place and it is unbearable HOT!"

Oh how I wish ... lol :) Winter and I have never been terribly good friends. No matter how hard I ask .... it just keeps coming back to visit me each year :)

message 41: by [deleted user] (new)

Winter is not a friendly dude. Never.

Davytron I remember reading the books and being hungry all the time because of all the lavish food that the noble characters ate. Even the hard travel bread and cheese always sounded so romantic and delicious.

Matthew Williams C-Cose wrote: "Kate wrote: "Consider me selfish but can we switch places please? Winter will never come in our place and it is unbearable HOT!"

Oh how I wish ... lol :) Winter and I have never been terribly goo..."

You should consider moving to the West Coast. It never seems to drop below 0 or get above 40. That's still a big range, but nearly as bad as Ottawa (which runs the gambit from 40 below to 40 above).

C-Cose Daley Matthew wrote: "You should consider moving to the West Coast. It never seems to drop below 0 or get above 40. That's still a big range, but nearly as bad as Ottawa (which runs the gambit from 40 below to 40 above). "

Greetings Matthew,

I spent a total of 3 yrs living in Vancouver *sigh*. At the time, it was wonderful ... but moving back there from the east coast just isn't an option right now. Nope ... I just have to suck it up and endure the crappy white stuff and the bitter cold :)

Eyehavenofilter Well back on the task at hand... GRRM eats ALOT so food obviously plays an important part in his life. SOOOOO food plays an important part in his books. Besides a Stark and a Lannister need to eat and I personally would love to know what they ate.
I just wouldn't want to attend EVERY meal.... Like the RED wedding feast?

message 46: by Jeni (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jeni [As an editorial note: Massive quantities of rich foods was a sign of wealth and prosperity in the Middle Ages. It is vital to show the harsh difference between feasting on lamprey pie versus the smithy who dusted dirt off of a burned and discarded loaf of bread in order to break his own fast.]

Having said that, my own fast this morn was rich with croissant, ham, egg, cheese, and hot coffee, sweetened with refined sugar and cream.

message 47: by Becky  (new) - added it

Becky  This reminds me of my favorite Arrya quote. She and Sansa are enjoying a nice breakfast together and Arrya launches a blood orange at Sansa. She then tells her... "You have juice on your face, Your Grace. I loved it and it was well deserved juice, I might add.