Completists' Club discussion

D. Keith Mano
This topic is about D. Keith Mano
Authors M-P > D. Keith Mano

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nathan "N.R." (new)

Nathan "N.R." Gaddis (nathannrgaddis) | 258 comments Anybody?

Novels
Bishop's Progress
Horn
War is Heaven
The Death and Life of Harry Goth
The Proselytizer
The Bridge
Take Five
Topless
The Fergus Dialogues: A Meditation on the Gender of Christ

None of his copious journalism and editorial pieces have been bookified, and likely never will be. Meanwhile, dig out those old Playboys.

message 2: by Nathan "N.R." (last edited Jun 06, 2014 08:29AM) (new)

Nathan "N.R." Gaddis (nathannrgaddis) | 258 comments My Score

Bishop's Progress
Horn
War is Heaven
The Proselytizer
The Bridge
Take Five
Topless

message 3: by MJ (new)

MJ Nicholls (mjnicholls) | 211 comments Only eight novels? Seems like a reasonable target.

message 4: by Nathan "N.R." (new)

Nathan "N.R." Gaddis (nathannrgaddis) | 258 comments MJ wrote: "Only eight novels? Seems like a reasonable target."

I'll will be supplementing that with a mad and pointless search for his journalism. B0nnie's already fixed me up with several gigabytes of Playboy and National Review. If Mano gets more readers, I'll be in the process of bibliography more of his stuff.

message 5: by MJ (new)

MJ Nicholls (mjnicholls) | 211 comments Nathan "N.R." wrote: "If Mano gets more readers, I'll be in the process of bibliography more of his stuff."

Fantastic. (Though he won't get more readers).

message 6: by Nathan "N.R." (new)

Nathan "N.R." Gaddis (nathannrgaddis) | 258 comments MJ wrote: "Fantastic. (Though he won't get more readers). "

Thus I'm safe from doing any more work than listing books on time-wasting threads about authors no one reads. ; )

message 7: by Tom (new)

Tom Willard | 17 comments Nathan you have convinced me to give Mano a shot; I just picked up Take 5, which I will read...some day. It looks amazing though. I imagine much of his stuff is out of print?

message 8: by Nathan "N.R." (new)

Nathan "N.R." Gaddis (nathannrgaddis) | 258 comments Tom wrote: "Nathan you have convinced me to give Mano a shot; I just picked up Take 5, which I will read...some day. It looks amazing though. I imagine much of his stuff is out of print?"

Nearly all of it is out of print. Dalkey carries Take Five, and I believe that both Topless and Fergus can be obtained directly from amazon. The other stuff is all abebooks. You'll likely never find him in the average used bookstore. I don't think any of his books ever sold very well.

message 9: by Tom (new)

Tom Willard | 17 comments That is too bad, maybe the Dalkey will step up and reissue some more of his titles. I was shocked to see this largely true of A. Theroux as well.

message 10: by Nathan "N.R." (new)

Nathan "N.R." Gaddis (nathannrgaddis) | 258 comments Tom wrote: "That is too bad, maybe the Dalkey will step up and reissue some more of his titles. I was shocked to see this largely true of A. Theroux as well."

Theroux has had some political disagreements with Dalkey, is my understanding. I'm not convinced yet that Mano is entirely Dalkey material. Take Five certainly is, but the others haven't been quite as inventively interesting. Still worth reading, so far.

message 11: by Tom (new)

Tom Willard | 17 comments Ahh good to know... what are Theroux's political disagreements, do you know?

message 12: by Nathan "N.R." (new)

Nathan "N.R." Gaddis (nathannrgaddis) | 258 comments Tom wrote: "Ahh good to know... what are Theroux's political disagreements, do you know?"

The following thoughts have the status of internet rumor

Publishing politics--something to do with how the books would be shaped, changed or not changed, reformatted, edited--something like that. That's the rumor that's reached my ear. I don't believe it a matter of national politics or the like. I think it may have had something to do with Steven Moore's falling out with dalkey in the mid-90's.

Meanwhile, we have a friendly comic book publisher in Seattle that doesn't interfere with his manuscripts and prints lots and lots of typos!! ; )

This has been an internet rumor

[Correct, please, any of my ignorant notions, please, anyone.]

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

What is the low down on Moore's beef with Dalkey?

message 14: by Nathan "N.R." (new)

Nathan "N.R." Gaddis (nathannrgaddis) | 258 comments Anthony wrote: "What is the low down on Moore's beef with Dalkey?"

I don't know any specifics. Rumors would be all that I've got ; and I think those rumors would belong to my growing output of fiction. But whatever the beef was, it didn't get in the way of the Moore-edited/Dalkey-published Gaddis letters.

message 15: by Nathan "N.R." (new)

Nathan "N.R." Gaddis (nathannrgaddis) | 258 comments Nathan "N.R." wrote: "My Score

Bishop's Progress
Horn
War is Heaven
The Proselytizer
The Bridge
Take Five
Topless
"

And so I've Completionizerentiert D Keith Mano. Take Five is the obvious fav. But all the others too. Can't really say much more about top favs. Perhaps Goth or Fergus would be up there. I wouldn't say his knot=Take Five books are world class stuff, but they're all pretty short, good, and diverse ; and since he's BURIED, completionizing is thus a Sacred Service. Watch for Friend Jonathan's impending Service.

message 16: by MJ (new)

MJ Nicholls (mjnicholls) | 211 comments Congrats. I have to confess, I read thirty or so pages of Topless and found workmanlike prose and not very appealing content. If the choir insists, I might try another.

message 17: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan (nathandjoe) | 47 comments Nathan "N.R." wrote: "Nathan "N.R." wrote: "My Score

..."

Congratulations! My score:

Bishop's Progress
Horn
War is Heaven
The Proselytizer
The Bridge
Take Five
Topless

So I still have some way to go...I am prioritising completing McElroy this year so may not get through all of Mano before 2015

message 18: by Nathan "N.R." (new)

Nathan "N.R." Gaddis (nathannrgaddis) | 258 comments MJ wrote: "Congrats. I have to confess, I read thirty or so pages of Topless and found workmanlike prose and not very appealing content. If the choir insists, I might try another."

Sounds about right.

Prose-wise, I think Goth and Proselytizer come closest to the Take Five stuff. War has a wonderful kind of bleakness about it.

message 19: by Nathan "N.R." (new)

Nathan "N.R." Gaddis (nathannrgaddis) | 258 comments Jonathan wrote: "So I still have some way to go...I am prioritising completing McElroy this year so may not get through all of Mano before 2015 "

You've only got about a week's worth of reading left. Just that I'd had Mano on the shelf for well over a year and thought it about time to get back to him.

message 20: by PostModernist (last edited Apr 04, 2015 04:36PM) (new)

PostModernist Anonymous (Postmodernist_Anonymous) | 2 comments Brand new old guy here to Goodreads. I was Googling D. Keith Mano a minute ago and this group was the third link from the top to click on. So I clicked. Happy to see a few hardy Mano Fano's hereabouts. A bibliography of Mano's works was mentioned above. I recommend including On The Contrary: Essays By Men And Women in it, a challenging anthology that pits women v. men on a variety of topics. Mano's essay "Cruel Lib" is pitted against a piece by Brigid Brophy. Suny Press sells a nice edition currently http://www.sunypress.edu/p-595-on-the...

message 21: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan (nathandjoe) | 47 comments Thanks for this - most of our collected writings and links etc on Mano are in the Buried Book cLub here - will add a link when get home (as can't on my phone) - we have been in contact with his son and got some updates on his current situation etc - plus pretty much everything you can find online from or about him

message 22: by Nathan "N.R." (new)

Nathan "N.R." Gaddis (nathannrgaddis) | 258 comments Welcome, PostModernist! There's not many Mano fans come dropping by, as you can imagine. Nevertheless, his Take Five seems to be slowly gathering a new enthusiastic audience here on gr. Jonathan and I both got through all or most of his nine novels last year. Time well spent to say the least.

The link Jonathan mentioned to The BURIED Book Club ::
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...
You're most welcome there as well.

message 23: by PostModernist (new)

PostModernist Anonymous (Postmodernist_Anonymous) | 2 comments Thank you, Jonathan & Nathan. I'll drop by.