Boxall's 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die discussion

Immediate Must-Read? Select TWO Novels from the List :-)

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shredder (new)

Shredder | 7 comments Hi All,

I will be busy from the next week onwards, I'll be doing a new software project that's painstakingly time consuming... and it'd probably take 12 hours a day. So I wanted to spend some of my time reading a book before the "busy schedule" begins the next week. Let's say I have about a week off and wanted to spend time reading atleast two books (that's provided I could manage).

I have these books (amongst hundred others) in the book shelves. Can you choose two books that are immediate Must-Read according to you?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
* The Book Thief
* In Cold Blood
* The Remains of the day
* Cloud Atlas
* Replay
* A wind-up Bird Chronicle
* Shadow of the wind
* Boy's Life
* Good omens
* Bell Jar
* The Kite Runner
* Kavalier and Clay
* Battle Royale
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks a lot in advance!

message 2: by Lianne (new)

Lianne (eclecticreading) The only two books I've read from your list are The Shadow of the Wind and the Remains of the Day, both of which are amazing reads.

I especially recommend The Shadow of the Wind; I read it recently and was totally blown away by the atmosphere of the book, it really felt like you were in Barcelona. Plus, I couldn't pry myself away from the book, I needed to know what happened next ;) But yeah, I'd say that's definitely a must-read.

The Remains of the Day is also a good read, I love that the distinct narrative used in the novel.

message 3: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (lifeasabooknerd) The only book on your list I've read is SHADOW OF THE WIND and it was a slower start for me, but ended being excellent. I really ended up loving it and was glad I stuck with the slower paced start.

THE BOOK THIEF and IN COLD BLOOD are the two I would read if it were my list. Hope that helps! :)

Good luck on the 12 hr. days!

message 4: by Shredder (new)

Shredder | 7 comments >Good luck on the 12 hr. days!

I'm not sure if I should take that as a sarcasm, just kidding :-)

Thanks for your reply, though.

message 5: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (stephanie87) | 1 comments Good Omens is hilarious and might be helpful to chuckle about during the long work days. Shadow of the Wind is amazing and should be read first.

message 6: by Emma (new)

Emma (mnium) | 141 comments If I were you I'd be wanting to keep it light (and page-turning), so I agree with Stephanie about Good Omens although I have not read it. A friend is reading it and enjoying it. In Cold Blood is a must-read, and it's on the 1001 Books list. That and the the Kite Runner are the only ones I've read from your list, however.

message 7: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (kristilarson) | 267 comments The Shadow of the Wind & The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay. Kavalier and Clay is one of my all-time faves. They're both a little long, but so worth it.

message 8: by Julie (new)

Julie I wholeheartedly recommend Good Omens. One of my favorite books.

message 9: by SunnyD (new)

SunnyD the only 2 i've read from your list are The Book Thief and The Kite Runner. both are GREAT (IMHO), but pretty heavy, so i'd say stay away from those 2 until you have more time.

message 10: by Shredder (new)

Shredder | 7 comments THANKS All, I've decided to read "The Book Thief" and the "Shadow of the wind", unless someone can change my mind or prod me into reading the 3rd book whatever that is, then I could perhaps consider that too... I'll see if I can read all day to finish the two... before I take up the 3rd one, meanwhile you can keep adding your suggestion for the 3rd one :-)

message 11: by Shredder (new)

Shredder | 7 comments perhaps the 3rd book could be Good Omens.

message 12: by Deanne (new)

Deanne | 686 comments Good Omens should be the third book, it will have you laughing out loud.

message 13: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (lifeasabooknerd) Nah, not sarcastic at all. I actually prefer it, once I'm actually at work the extra hours aren't really that much worse, and you get the extra time off, so for me, its totally worth it. I tried to talk my boss into marathon 20 hr. days so I only had to go 2 days a week but she wouldn't agree to it. :(

message 14: by Emma (last edited Feb 06, 2009 06:41PM) (new)

Emma (mnium) | 141 comments I will make an appeal for In Cold Blood, because, Swaminathan, your real job, despite what pays the bills, is to get these 1001 Books read. And neither The Book Thief nor The Shadow of the Wind is gonna get that done for you!

Secondly, this is the fascinating pioneer of the nonfiction novel and the modern true crime story we're talking about here! Truman Capote and Harper Lee, his childhood friend and author of To Kill a Mockingbird, hear about this family murdered in Kansas and go to interview people in the town before the killers are caught and stay with the case, possibly affecting the case, all the way through.

Okay, I've said my piece. Enjoy whatever you decide to read, Swaminathan!

message 15: by Shredder (last edited Feb 06, 2009 08:53PM) (new)

Shredder | 7 comments Emma wrote: "I will make an appeal for In Cold Blood, because, Swaminathan, your real job, despite wha..."

Ok Thanks! I will think about it, perhaps I could watch the movie version, In cold blood or Capote... or I could get back to reading it in the weekend amidst the project schedule.

and btw, you can call me swami. :-)

message 16: by Shredder (last edited Feb 06, 2009 08:58PM) (new)

Shredder | 7 comments Michelle wrote: "Nah, not sarcastic at all. I actually prefer it, once I'm actually at work the extra hours aren't really that much worse, and you get the extra time off, so for me, its totally worth it. I tried ..."

Good idea actually, 20 hours two days and take rest remaining days in the week ... sounds awesome, I hadn't thought about this, and It had never occurred to me.. world would be much better place then.

message 17: by Diniasih (new)

Diniasih | 6 comments i already read the kite runner...so i think of The Book Thief or In Cold Bold

message 18: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (lifeasabooknerd) Yeah, see? No one else is going for it though.. lazy people :)

message 19: by Deanne (new)

Deanne | 686 comments 20 hour days, no thanks, though I have done on calls which started at 1730 on friday and finished at 0800 on monday. I've done 17 hour shift which was a killer.

message 20: by Niche (last edited Feb 07, 2009 11:06AM) (new)

Niche A lot of those books are pretty depressing and a 12 hour day is depressing enough. I'd stick to the cheerful books.

message 21: by Kim (new)

Kim Kendell Petersen | 6 comments I'm so glad you decided to read the Book Thief. It's excellent.

message 22: by Mari (new)

Mari I have to weigh in with the several other people that recommended Good Omens. Some of my favorite lines in all fiction are in that book.

message 23: by Kristen (new)

Kristen (ravenskya) I've read a few off your list and I would have to second Good Omens and In Cold Blood

message 24: by Megan (new)

Megan Lyons | 14 comments The Book Thief was great, and The Bell Jar, or Good Omens if you want something lighter.

message 25: by Kathy-Diane (new)

Kathy-Diane In Cold Blood and the Kite Runner. Two very different books, but equally enthralling.

Kathy-Diane
Author of LET THE SHADOWS FALL BEHIND YOU
http://kathy-dianeleveille.com

message 26: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie The Kite Runner was amazing!

message 27: by Lori (new)

Lori (lollyworm) | 28 comments I would have to say - Good Omens and The Kite Runner.

message 28: by Emma (new)

Emma (mnium) | 141 comments Hey swami, how's it going with your reads and those 12 hour days?

So now I'm looking for some help...

I finished The House in Paris last night. I was going to be a good student and read it again before the book club discussion but I've got to read something else first.

Here's what's in the queue, maybe you all would help me with some suggestions:

1. The Secret History
2. The Cider House Rules
3. Lady Chatterley's Lover
4. The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay

Thanks!

(I also posted this request in this group under Which one did you just finish?)