TV We've Just Watched discussion

Cancelled/Series Ended > Revolution

Comments Showing 1-50 of 82 (82 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Jackie (last edited Sep 17, 2012 09:59PM) (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments I watched the pilot episode tonight and liked it. It has potential. It reminds me of Jericho a little bit.
Miles was badass.
Not especially liking any other characters yet. Charlie is annoying already.

message 2: by Kelley (new)

Kelley (kheckart) | 456 comments Jackie, You are so funny (your comments always make me smile) and I agree with you about her being annoying. The show does have potential. I might watch another episode to see if it catches on with me.
The end, when that lady turned on the electricity with that locket, reminded me of Lost.

message 3: by Jackie (last edited Sep 18, 2012 04:52PM) (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments That's the part that reminded me of Jericho. It was a post-nuclear apocalypse US (though no longer united), technology gone yet this one guy had a hidden room where he could communicate via computer with someone.

It also reminds me a little of Flash Forward: Who caused the FF = Who turned off the power, here.

I'm definitely going to give it a couple of episodes. As I've stated elsewhere, ad nauseam, it's the network I'm most concerned about.

I'm glad I could make you smile. I entertain myself often, lol

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1012 comments I liked Jericho, bless its little pointy head.

I will give this one a chance; but NBC doesn't make me optimistic.

message 5: by JackieR (new)

JackieR (readthat) | 318 comments I have this taped and plan to watch this weekend. It looked like it had potential. My sister watched it and said she is withholding judgement for a few shows. Translation, she thought it was OK, but not great

message 6: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrilovescrows) | 162 comments I really enjoyed it so far.

message 7: by Becky (new)

Becky | 186 comments I felt all the good parts were in the previews, nothing that made me jump up and down, but not horrible. Its one that needs a lot of back story and the reveal of the "bad guy" was well done! My hubby is hooked so I'm sure I'll be watching more of it but I'm not sold yet. I will admit I had HIGH hopes for it!

message 8: by Christine (new)

Christine I agree pretty much with what everyone says, it has potential. It really does remind me of Jericho, which for me, is a good thing.

What I want to know is how does Monroe have ice?

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1012 comments Could be natural ice; there was a booming business in natural ice delivery before there were ice makers. Boston merchants used to ship it as far as India in the 19th century.

message 10: by Manuel (new)

Manuel | 143 comments I suppose the hook of the show will be to find out what happened to the lights 15 years ago????

I generally like science fiction and I was a definite fan of Jericho. This show seems to be too many things to too many people. I see similarities to Jericho, The Walking Dead, Jeremiah, not to mention the novels: Dies the Fire and One Second After.

The beauty of Jericho was how they dealt with real world issues such as; how do we feed our people? How do we establish a community? How do we cooperate with our neighbors? Revolution skips all those issues and instead; hopefully, will try to answer what happened and who is behind the black out?

So far my complaints about the show: Everyone is just too pretty, they all look like they have just stepped out of the Abercrombie and Fitch catalog. Too many convenient coincidences..... They go off to Chicago in search of a long lost uncle.... They made it seem as if Chicago was just over the hill, and he just happens to be the saloon keeper in the first big building they stop at.... The escaped brother just happens to stumble on the house of the lady with one of those mysterious medallions.

Also in the credits, they show the San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge with a span in the water. Somehow I think the bridge would still be standing even without 15 years of maintenance.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1012 comments On the Bay Bridge - maybe an earthquake?

message 12: by Christine (new)

Christine The bridge stood thru the Loma Prieta Earthquake so it wasn't an earthquake. There is also a downed plane in that shot. I think that is what took out the bridge.

Thanks for the explanation of the ice.

message 13: by Kelley (new)

Kelley (kheckart) | 456 comments Manual, You bring up some really good points. At least on Lost and even Jericho, the people looked like they were living without electricity, running water. And I was wondering the same thing about how easy it was for her to find her uncle--I thought maybe I missed her father telling her he worked at that saloon.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1012 comments Yeah, a plane crash could do it.

Oh, no problem on the ice.

message 15: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrilovescrows) | 162 comments I thought Ben told her the Hotel that Miles was at

message 16: by Holli (new)

Holli We watched it and liked it. It has potential. I've been reading online that you have to suspend belief with this show quite a bit (the actors looking so good without electricity, Chicago being just over the hill... that kind of thing). If you can get past those type of things then they say it's really good.

message 17: by Timothy (new)

Timothy (jeditimothy) | 599 comments I like to build up a few episodes on my dvr and then watch it in a marathon.

message 18: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments I wish I had the willpower to watch that way!

message 19: by Christine (new)

Christine Me too! We are moving so I have to stay current with everything! I am going to be without a DVR for about a week and I am having anxiety attacks over it, lol.

message 20: by Karen B. (new)

Karen B. (raggedy11) I joined this group so that I could find a place to talk about this show. It left me with a lot of questions which is what I like about a good sci-fi series. I have one sort of "fear" - that some of the questions won't get answered! That was the biggest problem I had with getting attached to Flash Forward. I was so mad that it was not renewed the next season. I want to know what the thing is between Miles and Monroe, I agree that the characters look too nice, too clean for a group of people living without electricity. I'll be anxious to see who that lady is communicating with on the computer. We know that the lockets contain flash drives and I want to know why the dad saved his and why he wants to make sure that Miles gets it.

message 21: by Jackie (last edited Sep 21, 2012 09:20AM) (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments You're stronger than me, Christine, I'd be having a meltdown already. Then try to find a way to get the DVR turned on and set up, magically from afar. lol

Karen, I have the same problem. I wouldn't mind joining in every SF/F show except for the cliffhanger endings and guaranteed cancellation. I can't stand being left hanging, and it's why I have reservations about even starting this show.
I would imagine the father saved the flash drive because it could start up a computer, just like the lady did with hers.
All indications seem to point at Miles knowing something that could get the power back on. He seemed clueless when it was happening, but his friend Monroe seems to think otherwise...and so do I.

message 22: by Kelley (new)

Kelley (kheckart) | 456 comments I think Monroe wanted it to happen so he could start a new regime. What I'm not clear about is if he wants the power back on or wants to make sure it never comes back on. I will give the show a chance. But like Jackie, I'm worried the show will get dumped right when I get into it.

message 23: by Manuel (new)

Manuel | 143 comments I suspect Monroe has taken advantage of the situation. In the flashback he is a mere Sargent and apparently a friend of Miles.

My only problem is that why has is taken Monroe 15 years to find Miles? Miles does not appear to have kept a low profile while living in Chicago. I take it for granted that Miles must have had some specialized covert type training before the black out; presumably Monroe has too, since they used to be friends.

message 24: by JackieR (new)

JackieR (readthat) | 318 comments I watched this show on my DVR tonight. I really liked it. I agree, some of things were too convenient, but I can live with that. I guess I have the ability to live in denial. haha. I wish the premiere had been two hours long so we could get into it a little more.

I do think Monroe thinks Miles knows something, because Monroe knows that Miles brother knew something. He was in the car when that phone call came as a warning. Miles brother said he hadn't seen his brother in years. I assume they made some sort of contact after blackout before going separate ways. Stands to reason Monroe would think Miles learned what happened from his brother.

message 25: by Holli (new)

Holli Question: I just watched the pilot of Revolution! I absolutely loved it and wondered if you had any juicy tidbits to share? —Vanessa
Ausiello: Here’s a little something: Somebody we spent a lot of time with in the pilot probably won’t be around very much longer. Guesses?

message 26: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments Charlie! lol

message 27: by Kelley (new)

Kelley (kheckart) | 456 comments Jackie, :) The brother seems pretty useless.

message 28: by Manuel (new)

Manuel | 143 comments No more inhalers....

message 29: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments Stupid kid can't escape properly, leads Monroe's men to the lady with the computer. He can go. He is pretty useless.

message 30: by JackieR (new)

JackieR (readthat) | 318 comments Ha! So harsh ,,,,but I do agree! The brother can go!

message 31: by mark (new)

mark monday (majestic-plural) | 365 comments i enjoyed the show a lot and plan on watching more. but the lead is annoying and so is her brother. i want different leads! nice to see Giancarlo Esposito post-Breaking Bad. great actor.

message 32: by Holli (new)

Holli What’s scarier: Revolution‘s post-apocalyptic, militia-controlled future, or the days immediately following the blackout? While Capt. Tom Neville is certainly an imposing and imperious figure, flashbacks in the second episode of the NBC drama (airing Monday at 10/9c) — featuring Elizabeth Mitchell and Tim Guinee as Charlie and Danny’s parents — reveal that the aftermath of the power-down was no picnic either.

“We get to see them trying to protect their kids a week or two after the blackout, when things are really getting hairy and violence and looting are starting to break out,” says series creator Eric Kripke. And as things get increasingly dangerous on the streets, “it becomes a more gripping, harrowing flashback.” The quick downfall of society and order is not a scenario that is completely impossible. Kripke notes that “the government report we read said it would be hard to maintain any sort of civil order five days in — and that was coming out of Congress!”

Episode 3 of the freshman drama, meanwhile, will go back in time to expand another dynamic teased in the pilot: the one between Miles (played by Twilight‘s Billy Burke) and his former buddy-turned-enemy/leader of the Monroe Republic, General Sebastian “Bass” Monroe (ER‘s David Lyons). “Most roads to hell are paved with, as we all know, good intentions,” says Kripke, “so we start to understand how they set out to save the world.”

Although Monroe is the one in command now, it might be Grace (Maria Howell) — the algebra teacher who briefly afforded Danny safe harbor — and her mysterious USB pendant who is really the powerful one, and in a Hogwarts kind of way! “What’s really interesting to me is that in a world with no technology, if very few isolated people can have it, that’s magic,” Kripke contends. “That’s a way to put magic back in the world. These certain people are, for all intents and purposes, wizards in their ability to enact technology.” With no gizmos as go-to problem solvers, it’s also a way to breathe life into a contemporary TV series. “When you’re in the writers room, there is nothing more irritating than a cell phone because anyone can call for help and get whatever they need whenever they need it,” Kripke explains. “So to put rules back in the storytelling so that when somebody busts out a Commodore 64 it’s a miracle, that’s a wonderful gift to a writer. That’s a wonderful sandbox to play in.”

message 33: by JackieR (new)

JackieR (readthat) | 318 comments Ok, watched second episode. Still potential, but some things just happen way too easy. I also don't think Charlie would have her self righteous attitude growing up in that world. The writing does need to improve on this a bit, or it won't last.

message 34: by Jackie (last edited Sep 25, 2012 08:52AM) (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments The one character archetype that I completely despise is Stubborn Girl, and Charlie takes that a step further to be Stupid Stubborn Girl.
I agree with you , JackieR, that it's implausible that Charlie could be so self-righteous and naive growing up in this world. I would think that spending most of her life is this world should make those hard choices easier to accept and accomplish. Even more so than the adults who grew up in a different kind of world.
Another thing that annoyed me is that Miles let her stop him. Later he says, "Next time I want to kill someone, let me." Let me? Really? Not so bad ass anymore if he lets a stupid child tell him what to do. My esteem of Miles dropped significantly.

I don't think this show will last, no matter what, but if it keeps up with this ridiculous kind of writing, I won't be waiting around for NBC to pull the plug.

message 35: by Becky (new)

Becky | 186 comments I totally agree, Stubborn, stupid girl doesn't fit in the society. I don't buy into her character with the flash backs and reality they don't meld in my head. I want to like this show so much, there is interesting possibilities, but the fact that google guy jumped to the conclusion that they can turn the power on so quickly drove me nuts. I did like the bit about the phone and that being the only pictures of her kids, I thought that was true to form, and again interesting final 2 minute reveal that make me want to see more, but I can only be disappointed so many times before I'll go back to Castle or Hawaii 5-0 both shows I know I like rather than one that has potential.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1012 comments My problem with Charlie and Danny is that the actors have yet to show that they can act, and I also loathe the Stubborn Girl archetype, let alone the Stupid Stubborn Girl one.

Sometimes I just want to slap her. Or her writers. Possibly both.

Concept for this show is interesting; writing is uneven, and so was casting. But it is trending towards the ridiculous, and not necessarily in a good way.

message 37: by Holli (new)

Holli Spoilers from last night's show if you haven't watched yet

(view spoiler)

message 38: by Manuel (new)

Manuel | 143 comments I am not holding my breath about the survival of this show. The logic of the story progression doesnt make sense to me. We know the country (probably the entire planet) has been fractured into fiefdoms run by war lords like Monroe....
While I can understand people will resist the local warlord and yearn for something better, does it really make sense to reestablish the United States? Miles' friend says she has joined the rebels with their goal or reestablishing the United States.
Even if the power were to come back tomorrow, millions of people have presumably already died, it would be impossible to activate a country like the United States again. Huge holes in society; not to mention infrastracture, communications, and agriculture have taken place.
Somehow I took it for granted that the Monroe Republic existed in rural Illinois, yet in last night's episode, we see Rachel (the mother) in Philadelphia, talking to Gen Monroe. Presupposing Monroe has been in Pennsylvania during all this time, wouldnt it take weeks for messages concerning Miles and the kids to reach him in Philly???

message 39: by Kelley (new)

Kelley (kheckart) | 456 comments Yeah I agree with the comments about Charlie and the way she is after growing up in such a world. You'd think she would be smarter about the dangers. She did end up killing that guard, which I wasn't sure she would do. I was thinking that the women in that family are tougher than the guys.
One thing I didn't get was how did google guy know that the amulet had anything to do with electricity? Unless Ben told him, it just looks like an amulet to me.
And who is Randall? Did I miss something?

message 40: by JackieR (new)

JackieR (readthat) | 318 comments Jackie I agree that Miles dropped a bit for me too. Speaking of that incident..my first thought when she didn't want him killed. So ok they decide to tie him up and leave him? umm, ok starvation is a better death than quick? Charlie is ok with that? hahaha. He obviously got away, but that was also convenient writing.

The people are way too pretty and clean for me. To make a comparison, if you watch The Walking Dead. This is closer to how they should look. Dirty!

message 41: by Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (last edited Sep 25, 2012 08:51PM) (new)

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1012 comments It's sooooo convenient how much Charlie looks like Catniss Everdeen. I'm sure that's just co-incidental. Uh-huh.

message 42: by mark (new)

mark monday (majestic-plural) | 365 comments total coincidence! same with the bow & arrow!

message 43: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments The bow is the only thing Charlie and Katniss have in common. Katniss understands kill or be killed. Charlie is Katniss ultra-lite, lol

message 44: by Holli (new)

Holli I just watched the 2nd episode and I'm already bored with it. I have all the same complaints you all do.....

message 45: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments Every place I've seen comments are all similar to what we've been saying here. I doubt it'll make it to the mid-season.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1012 comments I may give it one more chance; but probably not more than that unless I'm more impressed by the next episode.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1012 comments Apparently "Charlie" is now known as "Blandniss Everdeen" on another site I read.

Ouch!

message 48: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments It's an apt moniker, hahaha.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1012 comments Yep. Very apt indeed.

message 50: by Becky (new)

Becky | 186 comments personally that's still to complimentary!

« previous 1