Cozy Mystery Corner discussion

General > Suggestions

Comments Showing 1-50 of 62 (62 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 2407 comments Mod
I have a few ideas of some things for us to try, but I really want to hear any suggestions you have.

message 2: by jaxnsmom (new)

In case some of you haven't noticed, I've added a Games folder. There's a Cover Scavenger Hunt game, where someone asks to see a cover with a particular item, word, or color on it. Whoever finds it first posts the cover, and they request what they want to see. Check it out if you get a chance.

message 3: by Jennifer (last edited Sep 19, 2012 06:58PM) (new)

Jennifer (jhaltenburger) | 498 comments Another group I'm in does a really fun thing that could be good here. It's called "Give Me Five". The first person puts up book covers of five books he/she wants to read. The next person picks one out, and that becomes the first person's "next-up". The second person also posts five covers. And so on-- the next person picks and posts ad infinitum. You can play as often as you want, but you can only post covers for the next read after you've finished your last. It's a good way for group activity that also allows each person to read to his/her own interest AND whittle down his/her existing TBR. And it lets everyone participate at his/her own pace.

message 4: by jaxnsmom (new)

I love those games and challenges that say they'll help whittle down your tbr. HAH! I always ends up with more books being added from checking out the books everyone else is reading. ☺

Funny you should mention "Give Me Five". I've been working on a couple of ideas. You'll see more about them next month.

Iamabibliophile | 201 comments Can you start a topic called Favorite Cozy of All Time? Really want to hear opinions! Thanks!

message 6: by jaxnsmom (new)

Iamabibliophile wrote: "Can you start a topic called Favorite Cozy of All Time? Really want to hear opinions! Thanks!"

Check out this thread, although I don't think anyone can choose just one :D

http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/7...

message 7: by AngryGreyCat (new)

AngryGreyCat (angrygreycatreads) | 665 comments Iamabibliophile wrote: "Can you start a topic called Favorite Cozy of All Time? Really want to hear opinions! Thanks!"

I think I couldn't pick one favorite - however I could probably pick a favorite series. I have found that some series get better and better as I read them (Kerry Greenwood's Corinna Chapman series- the more I read the more I love this one) and others I start to get a little bored or maybe fed up with the characters or repetitive plots. All that said my favorite series probably has to be MC Beaton's Hamish Macbeth series.

Iamabibliophile | 201 comments Look for my reply on the board she posted above. :)

message 9: by Meg (new)

Meg (mrsmegb) Suggestion -- shouldn't the group description be updated? it still says this is a new group for 2012... how about removing that all together so people don't go searching for a 2013 group?

message 10: by jaxnsmom (new)

I've slowly been working on some of the topics, but you're right, the description should be updated. Thanks Meg!

message 11: by Carol (new)

Carol (carolkeck) Two cozy mystery series that I love are by Louise Penny and Margaret Maron. Julia Spencer-Fleming is also very good. She says Margaret Maron is an inspiration.

Louise Penny's novels are about Inspector Gamache, and they are set in Canada. What beautiful prose! The series starts with Still Life.

Margaret Maron has a series on Judge Deborah Knott. I haven't read her other series. Judge Knott's series starts with The Bootlegger's Daughter. Set in NC.

Julia Spencer-Fleming's titles are usually based on hymns. The protagonist is a former army? helicopter pilot, now an ordained Episcopal priest. It also features the sherriff, a Vietnam vet. Love these books except for the latest Once was a soldier. It starts with In the Blead Midwinter.

message 12: by Carol (new)

Carol (carolkeck) https://www.kirkusreviews.com/lists/b... may be of interest. Books, including The Buzzard's Table by Margaret Maron,reviewed by Kirkus.

message 13: by Melodie (last edited Feb 09, 2013 06:31PM) (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 653 comments Carol wrote: "Two cozy mystery series that I love are by Louise Penny and Margaret Maron. Julia Spencer-Fleming is also very good. She says Margaret Maron is an inspiration.

Louise Penny's novels are about Ins..."

I also love Julia Spencer-Fleming's Russ & Clare books, but don't consider them cozies at all. I thought ONE WAS A SOLDIER was a stellar read. Sounds like you didn't like it.

message 14: by Carol (new)

Carol (carolkeck) I think I can see why you don't think of them as cozies. My definition of cozies must be wider than this group's. To me, cozies are murder mysteries that aren't very bloody or disturbing. But you can be more restrictive than that. Maybe I should, too. But I have no word to describe these books that aren't horrifying to me, but are a bit more real than cozy level. I'd love a word for that.

I came to reading mysteries late in life. I always thought why would anyone want to read about murder and death? I didn't realize how much I'd enjoy them, and I'm so glad my sister finally got me interested in them. So perhaps, for all I know, you call this kind of mystery just a mystery. Is there a word for those scary, bloody ones to distinguish them from these?

Yes, I didn't like One Was... I think it was a emotional disliking. It felt like such a departure from the series so far. Of course, that probably makes it more realistic, which is one aspect of the author's writing that I most admire. So I shouldn't complain. :)

Thanks for your comment!

message 15: by Barb (new)

Barb | 682 comments Carol wrote: "To me, cozies are murder mysteries that aren't very bloody or disturbing. But you can be more restrictive than that. Maybe I should, too. But I have no word to describe these books that aren't horrifying to me, but are a bit more real than cozy level. I'd love a word for that."

I've recently heard the term soft-boiled, which seems to cover those books that aren't quite cozies, but aren't blood/gore/violence either.

message 16: by Carol (new)

Carol (carolkeck) That sounds good!

message 17: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 653 comments Soft-boiled is what I was going to say. The more heavy duty mysteries, which I also like, tend to fall under hardboiled, police procedural or psychological thriller.

message 18: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 653 comments Carol wrote: "I think I can see why you don't think of them as cozies. My definition of cozies must be wider than this group's. To me, cozies are murder mysteries that aren't very bloody or disturbing. But you c..."

I'm anxiously awaiting the new one. It was supposed to come out this summer, but has now been delayed until November! Oh well, will give me something good to read when I'm off over Thanksgiving!

message 19: by Beth (new)

Beth | 206 comments The full range of mysteries includes cozy, soft-boiled, medium-boiled, hard-boiled and noir, ranging from G to X in movie rating terms. I write two series, one cozy and one soft-boiled, and Barb's definition of a soft-boiled series as one being "not quite cozy" is right on.

message 20: by Carol (new)

Carol (carolkeck) That is helpful. Thank you for sharing! I'll have to look up your books now!

Take care,
Carol

message 21: by ☯Emily (new)

☯Emily  Ginder | 1408 comments Where is the discussions for this month's reads?

message 22: by jaxnsmom (new)

oops, time got away from me :)

message 23: by Barb (new)

Barb | 682 comments Well, February *is a short month :) That's always my excuse! LOL

message 24: by jaxnsmom (new)

Sounds good to me :D

message 25: by Connie N. (new)

Connie N. | 491 comments Jaxnsmom wrote in September: Funny you should mention "Give Me Five". I've been working on a couple of ideas. You'll see more about them next month.

Did this idea ever get off the ground?

message 26: by jaxnsmom (new)

Connie - I hadn't done anything about the "Give Me Five" idea. Are you interested in it? We can see how many people would want to participate.

message 27: by Connie N. (new)

Connie N. | 491 comments Well, I've always been tempted to play in the other group, but there are so many books I need to read for challenges that I haven't tried it yet. But since I read at least 1 or 2 cozies at a time, I think I would be more likely to play it in this group. So, all that being said...Yes.

message 28: by Karen (new)

Karen (xkamx) | 399 comments Another mystery board has a discussion called 3-word Story. One person starts a (mystery) story with three words. Each poster after that carries on with just three words. It can get convoluted and funny and one can write others into a corner, but it's challenging, too.

For example... On a dark -- and stormy night, -- he went outside -- never expecting that --...

As a take on that, the story could be "written" using only book titles. Of course, that could be very challenging if a couple of verbs or prepositions couldn't be added to get to the next line. Hmmm...

message 29: by jaxnsmom (new)

Karen - I saw that in a few other groups and was going to add it here in about a week :)

If you have any other games, let me know or feel free to add them!

message 30: by Lindsay (new)

Lindsay (crowshollow) | 50 comments The first cozy I ever read was by Victoria Laurie. I have been hooked since then. Her books keep getting better and better. If I had to pick my favorite cozy it would have to be Abby Cooper Psychic Eye since that is the book that started my love! Abby Cooper, Psychic Eye

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

can someone please recommend cozy authors whose book prints are not teeny tiny and hard to read? Authors like Lee Hollis, Amanda Lee, Mary Marks, Barbara Ross, Karen Rose Smith, Christine Wenger to name a few. Thank you in advance

message 32: by jaxnsmom (new)

Peg - do you get your books from the library? Mine has a fairly good selection in large print. It seems hardbacks have good sized print, but most cozies are in paperback. I have some Leslie Meier in hardback.

message 33: by Nancy (last edited Jun 24, 2014 08:55AM) (new)

Nancy Jarvis (screalwriter) | 15 comments Peg,
Our local libraries have a pathetic selection of large print and our one remaining local bookstore only stocks a few. My mysteries come in large print editions from Amazon. (Which reminds me, I've got to get that last one out in large print.)

message 34: by AngryGreyCat (new)

AngryGreyCat (angrygreycatreads) | 665 comments I have found that it is mainly cozies that are available in hardback that are also available in Large Print - MC Beaton, Louise Penny, Jessica Beck, Denise Swanson, Sofie Kelly,
Nancy Atherton,

message 35: by jaxnsmom (new)

Peg - Does your library participate in the Interlibrary Loan program? You can set a limit on the amount you're willing to pay, if there are fees involved (postage...).

message 36: by Lindsay (new)

Lindsay (crowshollow) | 50 comments Hi Peg,

I am 29 and have the same issue as you. I find myself reading YA more (they have larger print and I enjoy them) and hardback books. I read most of my mysteries on a Kobo (in the US I believe it would be a kindle) I can adjust my font size to really any range. I also come across a lot of free cozies, which is nice (you can find lists here: http://www.cozy-mystery.com/Free-and-... ) and the books are right on pare with what you would pay in stores. The whole thing is so easy to do!!! Then your not limited to certain authors. Just a tought

message 37: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (ashielizz) | 72 comments Thanks for the site suggestion Lindsay. I'll have to check it out. :)

message 38: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Douglass (rdouglass) | 182 comments Ashley wrote: "Thanks for the site suggestion Lindsay. I'll have to check it out. :)"

Yeah, the best thing about an e-reader is being able to set the font size to whatever you want. I do wish that more cozies would make it into the library (Overdrive) catalog, though. I prefer not to buy too many, though happily many are cheap or free, as noted.

message 39: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (ashielizz) | 72 comments I get so bummed when the books I want to read aren't at the library or on Overdrive.

message 40: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 62 comments Just about to start Some Enchanted Éclair (A Magical Bakery Mystery #4) by Bailey Cates . Hope it is as good as the previous books.

message 41: by Penny (new)

Penny Marks | 3 comments Loved Matrimony Meltdown By Kathi Daley. So funny I was laughing out loud in spots:)Matrimony Meltdown

message 42: by Gayla (new)

Gayla Glass (gaylahambyglass) Ok, I admit I am an Amazon junkie, but I haven't heard of Overdrive. What is it?

message 43: by Marisa (new)

Marisa (moretta) | 419 comments Gayla wrote: "Ok, I admit I am an Amazon junkie, but I haven't heard of Overdrive. What is it?"

One of the library systems for ebooks (there're at least two other ones: 3M and I don't exactly remember the name of the other one, ¿FBReading?)

message 44: by jaxnsmom (new)

My library uses Overdrive too. You can download e-books (incl. for Kindle) and audiobooks. Basically you're checking items out for a set period and then they expire (unless transferred to an mp3 player).

Gayla - you should check your library's website or ask a librarian.

message 45: by Gayla (new)

Gayla Glass (gaylahambyglass) jaxnsmom wrote: "My library uses Overdrive too. You can download e-books (incl. for Kindle) and audiobooks. Basically you're checking items out for a set period and then they expire (unless transferred to an mp3 ..."

Thank you, I will check with my local library.

message 46: by Gayla (new)

Gayla Glass (gaylahambyglass) Marisa wrote: "Gayla wrote: "Ok, I admit I am an Amazon junkie, but I haven't heard of Overdrive. What is it?"

One of the library systems for ebooks (there're at least two other ones: 3M and I don't exactly reme..."

Thanks, I'll check them out.

message 47: by Cuppa (new)

Cuppa (cuppa_cozy) | 53 comments We recently started getting the Hallmark movies and mysteries channel at our house. I'm really loving the cozy mysteries based on popular books by authors such as Joanne Fluke. Would anyone be interested in reading the books that go with the movies?

message 48: by Karen (new)

Karen (xkamx) | 399 comments jaxnsmom wrote: "Basically you're checking items out for a set period and then they expire (unless transferred to an mp3 player)."

Interesting... I didn't know this trick!! I usually get the books read within a day or two of checkout, so I don't worry. However, knowing I might have longer access is interesting!

I sometimes wish Overdrive was nationwide rather than local. Though my area has a good selection of cozies I know there are things available in other cities/states that we don't have access to. And, I was surprised to see a number of series in other genres I wasn't expecting to find. Between the brick and mortar and e- libraries, I've been pretty lucky at getting most everything I want.

BTW... You should also look into Hoopla. It's like Overdrive but for video, music, and audiobooks. Their movie and TV selection is no Hulu or Netflix, but it's free (with library card, of course) and comes in handy sometimes.

message 49: by Nell (new)

Nell | 2597 comments Mod
Cuppa wrote: "We recently started getting the Hallmark movies and mysteries channel at our house. I'm really loving the cozy mysteries based on popular books by authors such as Joanne Fluke. Would anyone be inte..."

Interesting idea Cuppa. Why don't you create a Joanna Fluke thread in the buddy reads folder and see who else wants to join in - Scroll down on the main page to find the Buddy Reads folder.

message 50: by Helen (new)

Helen Brower (hebrower) | 29 comments I highly recommend books by Margaret Yorke, an English mystery writer whose cozies offer excellent characterization and whose plots often take a dark turn.

« previous 1