La Poseurs discussion

Comments Showing 1-50 of 185 (185 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by the sound of Autumn, Oh dear. (last edited Sep 17, 2012 08:18PM) (new)

the sound of Autumn | 3132 comments Mod
Ah, yes, hello there fellow Poseurs! Welcome one and welcome all, we, your humble moderators- Cheyla and myself- bring you the first contest thread ever to be made in this group! Here, we bring you various contests that you can enter for not only pride and the admiration of your friends here at La Poseurs, but for fabulous prizes too! Exciting, right? We haven't even gotten started. Anybody who wins a contest will forever take their rightful place in the Poseurs Hall of Fame, always to be remembered for their talent.

Let the contests, BEGIN!

The first contest in La Poseurs will be a character contest. Allow me to explain. Stories are amazing- right? Can we agree on that? I mean, we're all here on Goodreads, aren't we? And what would a good story be without characters? You, the people who put the Poseurs after La, will create a small story, where the goal is to create a good, solid character that grows on the readers!

Rules:
1.) Any POV (point of view) can be used!
2.) The character has to be created through the story. Roleplay-style character profiles (view spoiler) are not allowed! It has to be in paragraphs!
3.) The character can be good or bad- because a "good" character isn't based on the character's virtues. It can be somebody that we love to hate!
4.) All entries have to be posted here on this thread by October 3rd. Late entries, unfortunately, will not be accepted. :(
5.) Have fun with it! Remember, there is no pressure! Nobody judges one another here in La Poseurs, just let your creativity flow!

Cheyla and I will be the judges, and after all the entries have been read, we will pick our top four favorites! From there, all of you will be invited to a poll voting for the winner, who will go down in Poseur Hall of Fame! Good luck, and happy writing!

message 2: by Cheyenne, Impressive, Star Fox (new)

Cheyenne (cheylaraine) | 1882 comments Mod
(whispers)... and may the odds be ever in your favor.

message 3: by the sound of Autumn, Oh dear. (new)

I was thinking the exact same thing Chey Chey. Except now I am imagining that I'm saying this in a big announcer voice, like I'm one of those guys who comment in the background at football games and what not! ^-^ HEAR MY POWER, AND THE SEXY TONES OF MY DEEP VOICE!

But seriously, if you guys have any questions about the contest, feel free to ask here, in the Questions Comments etc. thread, or contact either Cheyla or me directly! :)

message 4: by kenzie (new)

kenzie (theabsolutedream) D: omr the capitol has found me again....RUN PEETA RUN!!!

Beck (formerly Boo) (boooty) | 327 comments (erm, I'm afraid the instructions confound me...)

message 6: by the sound of Autumn, Oh dear. (new)

Boo *Loki/Avengers Fangirl!*(Miss Mischief) wrote: "(erm, I'm afraid the instructions confound me...)"

In which way(s)? I'll be happy to answer any questions you have about it!

Hibari Hanana *(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ* (pichu799) so...we put the story here?

message 8: by Cheyenne, Impressive, Star Fox (new)

Post a link.

Beck (formerly Boo) (boooty) | 327 comments Like, do you just write up a story with a lovable character?

Hibari Hanana *(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ* (pichu799) and when's this due?

message 12: by E.J. (new)

E.J. (ejschoenborn) | 379 comments October 3rd

message 13: by the sound of Autumn, Oh dear. (new)

Boo *Loki/Avengers Fangirl!*(Miss Mischief) wrote: "Like, do you just write up a story with a lovable character?"

Basically! The person doesn't exactly have to be lovable, you could create a villain if you really wanted to (oh the freedom of writing your own story) but the character has to be well-developed, you know? We have to feel like we know them, like they're real! It might be of help to you to remember your own favorite character from a book! (view spoiler)

Hibari Hanana *(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ* (pichu799) thank you~!

and it's just a short story, yes?

message 15: by the sound of Autumn, Oh dear. (new)

Hanana *Still a Loner WAGASHI~* wrote: "thank you~!

and it's just a short story, yes?"

That is correct my dear, no need to go creating a novel just for our contest! :) (Though, once again, you could if you really wanted to. There sure is a heck of a lot of freedom when it comes to writing, it turns out! )

Beck (formerly Boo) (boooty) | 327 comments Ooh, okay. Thanks

message 17: by the sound of Autumn, Oh dear. (new)

Boo *Loki/Avengers Fangirl!*(Miss Mischief) wrote: "Ooh, okay. Thanks"

No problem! Ask anything at any time! :)

Hibari Hanana *(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ* (pichu799) TuT *inner novelist appearing*

message 19: by Hannah (new)

Hannah How long is the average short story? I've always wondered this...

message 20: by the sound of Autumn, Oh dear. (new)

Anna-Cosette wrote: "How long is the average short story? I've always wondered this..."

Just a couple chapters I believe, it's, obviously, not very long at all.

Hibari Hanana *(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ* (pichu799) ....^u^ all depends on the writer~

message 22: by the sound of Autumn, Oh dear. (new)

Hanana *Still a Loner WAGASHI~* wrote: "....^u^ all depends on the writer~"

Exactly. :)

message 23: by Hannah (new)

Hannah Also, does the story have to be posted on Goodreads?

message 24: by Hannah (new)

Hannah the sound of Autumn wrote: "Anna-Cosette wrote: "How long is the average short story? I've always wondered this..."

Just a couple chapters I believe, it's, obviously, not very long at all."

Ok, thank you!

message 25: by the sound of Autumn, Oh dear. (last edited Sep 17, 2012 10:01PM) (new)

Anna-Cosette wrote: "Also, does the story have to be posted on Goodreads?"

Well, you have to post/ link the story to this thread, so yes it does have to be on Goodreads.

message 26: by Hannah (new)

Hannah the sound of Autumn wrote: "Anna-Cosette wrote: "Also, does the story have to be posted on Goodreads?"

Well, you have to post/ link the story to this thread, so yes it does have to be on Goodreads."

Ok, cause I post most of my stories on another website (Wattpad), but it's no problem! Thanks for answering!

Six-Fingered Nigel | 8 comments Cheyla wrote: "(whispers)... and may the odds be ever in your favor."

I wish there was a 'like' button..

message 28: by Matthew (last edited Sep 18, 2012 12:37PM) (new)

Matthew (phoebus) | 679 comments

message 29: by Matthew (new)

Matthew (phoebus) | 679 comments n_n
My characters will grow on you like a deadly mold

message 30: by Marlene (new)

Marlene (marlene1001) | 490 comments I'll try this contest too. But I'm just warning you, it could be that I really start writing a novel. I can't do short stories; they always turn into novels. :/

message 31: by Pirl (last edited Sep 19, 2012 01:41PM) (new)

Pirl (pirlismyname) Here's my entry:

It's funny. I didn't know the afterlife would be like this. As I watch my own funeral, I think – I'm not sure what I'm feeling. I had never been to a funeral before. Who knew my first funeral would be my own?
I never wanted to die young. There was so much I never got to do.
I wanted to be published before I got to the age of 25 - a full novel.
I wanted to have 3 children ten years later, no more.
I wanted to go have a Masters, because getting a PHD would mean I was a doctor, and the last thing I want is to be a doctor.
Either that or a professor, and be real – that's worse.
I wanted to write a diary all through high school. I never even got into high school! Ten days into Ninth grade and I'm gone. Thanks a lot, You.
And – of course, damn it. I'll never get to read the last book of Infernal Devices! Do you have any idea how much I've been looking forward to that? Sally and I promised each other we'd survive the apocalypse in order to read that, because it's coming out in 2013!

I'm a ghost. I don't know what type of ghost I am – when I was alive I was pretty into the supernatural. Maybe I'm like in that vamp show, stuck in some kind of limbo, forced to watch my loved ones as they move on with their lives. Or maybe I'm just waiting for closure, so I can get closer and go into the light (closure? What closure? I died in a bus crash. What is there to close?).
You know what else is funny? I feel calmer. My head is clearer, and it's easier for me to put things together. I think I'll enjoy people watching. I don't know if it'll be fun, but… I'd like to know what people really thought of me. On whom I left an impression.
And this one girl, Mira? I'm going to haunt her.

------

This is actually the beginning of a story I'm writing, with the very original name, Ghost: http://www.goodreads.com/story/show/3...

message 32: by Hannah (new)

Hannah Another question! Is what we're writing, about the character, or the story they're in? Do you get what I mean?

message 33: by Cheyenne, Impressive, Star Fox (new)

The point is to create a short story with a strong protagonist (or antagonist), using voice and the character's actions. We're trying to put them into a setting, not just describe them, so that the reader has to form their own opinions about the character.

message 34: by Hannah (new)

Hannah Thanks Cheyla!

message 35: by Cheyenne, Impressive, Star Fox (last edited Sep 18, 2012 04:51PM) (new)

Pirl{a חame that sסuחds like spring} wrote: "Here's my entry:

It's funny. I didn't know the afterlife would be like this. As I watch my own funeral, I think – I'm not sure what I'm feeling. I had never been to a funeral before. Who knew my f..."

That is really good. A good example of character, especially with the list of things she wanted. Because that gives the charrie life. And the part about reading the last of Infernal Devices, surviving the apocalypse XD It was awesome. Nicely done, Pirl.

message 36: by Cheyenne, Impressive, Star Fox (new)

Anna-Cosette wrote: "Thanks Cheyla!"

No problemo! :D

Beck (formerly Boo) (boooty) | 327 comments I'm probably going to elaborate on this later~~~

I woke up, like every other day. Completely normal, completely average. No demon suddenly rapping on my door to tell me I'm secretly a magic princess of some intradimentional world on the brink of war, no meteors crashing in through my ceiling and giving me alien powers. Nothing. Not even Archer (the fluffy black-and-white rescue cat we've had since kittenhood) was begging for food. Unusual but not special. I groaned loud enough to wake up the cat, which was sleeping oh-so conveniently on her feet. Archer hissed and jumped off my size nine womans feet, leaving stripes of blood in his wake. Getting annoyed with the meeping alarm on my phone, I rolled out of my forest green sheets and thudded onto the gray carpet of my room. Of course the gum wrappers undere me were an unpleasant surprise but I didn't do anything as I stretched forward, grabbing my green otterboxed iPphone and typing in the password '8454'. aka THKI, which stands for Thor and Loki, my absolute favorite imaginary beings. I have memorized every word of every single movie Tom Hiddleston and Chris Hemsworth has been in. Yeah, I know creepish. I have sent them fanmail, things of all other sorts. Know basically everything avalaibale to the public (and then some) about them. While with these I am an extreme fangirl for, I also 'normally' fangirl over Chris Evans, Robert Downey Jr., and Jeremy Renner. All from, obviously, the Avengers. For them I only memorize their lines and about half of the others. Anyways, I am not all about screaming and flushing and posters and such. Or stalking or anything. I'm actually more or less normal. I have poofy curly brackish-brown hair that stops somewhere around my shoulderblades, and pale but colorful blue eyes. Glasses too. Black with silver flecks of glitter. Thinking about them now, I put them on, blinking as I glanced around. I had tried contacts. They didn't work that well, but I still use the colored ones for Avengers cosplay. I heard small footsteps and Archer was at my doorstep, meowing. "Gah! shush, you cat!" I mumbled, feeling a pink shade prickle the freckly pale skin on my cheeks as I closed my book, not wanting to be caught by my mom. I picked up my phone and looked at it. 5:40AM. I'd been up for precisely three minutes. Grumbling, I took off the blue polka-dotted sleepshorts and old t-shirt, putting on a Superman shirt and denim shorts for the fifth Thursday of the school year. Seventh Grade, the first grade at this blasted school. I stretched a bit before running downstairs and muttering to myself as I always did.

message 38: by █║ ✕ Angel ‟ Indelible (last edited Sep 19, 2012 01:02PM) (new)

█║ ✕ Angel ‟ Indelible  (sirsly) This is terrible.. PLEASE do not call it good, or say its nice just so I can be happy. Okay? xD
PS, its a bad story, and probably not even what the contest was about.. Sorry, xD

With a scream suddenly escaping Fern's lips she tried to undo her light red hair from the little boy named Timmy's claw like fingers. Mrs. Rodgers was out and this little kid was the devils son itself - not really - she wished she could throw it out a window already. And now her head was turned sideways trying to find the knot that Timmy's hands had made, her snowy red hair mixed around with his fingers as he slapped a hand onto Fern's face. Another yelp left her delicately pink lips, at one point she thought about just giving him a good push away but for her hairs sake she didn't. Finally untangling it she let out a sigh of relief as she stared at Timmy. "Bad boy." The four year old sat there innocently staring his blue eyes up at her. She narrowed her brown brows at the boy and slowly got up, her long tan legs were being attacked by the child now. "Mo-mommy." The boy whined but Fern only shook her foot lightly. "Stop." Her voice suddenly harsh. She could feel her eyeliner beginning to leak, she began to walk lopsided forgetting the little devil holding onto her. In the mirror she leaned close examining her eyes-- great. Her mascara suddenly leaked into her dark mixed with light colored blue eyes and she screamed flying back she hit her back up against the wall and suddenly in fear she pushed herself to the right but she only drug herself across more frames. Screaming she finally fell to the floor her small summer dress suddenly flying up, a white dress, splattered with yellow flowers. Looking down suddenly realized she heard a voice: "Mom-my." She with widened eyes looked down at her legs, the little boy was sitting under her dress at her thighs. And the door opened.

message 39: by the sound of Autumn, Oh dear. (new)

HA! Are you kidding me Angel? I love this, I know I probably shouldn't have, but I found great amusement in the little boy's random attacks. Not the violence necessarily, just the fact that the main character is totally being taken down by a four year old. I like this very very much!

message 40: by the sound of Autumn, Oh dear. (new)

Awwwww!!! How cute and sweet and sad and AWWWW! Very good Anna, very good!

Hibari Hanana *(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ* (pichu799) really great message you said there! i loved it~

message 42: by Hannah (new)

Hannah Thank you! I'm glad you like it... I think it's some of my best writing, or at least, best emotional scene. Do you think I should enter the rest?

Hibari Hanana *(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ* (pichu799) yes, because i wanna know what happened!

Hibari Hanana *(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ* (pichu799) plus...now im not sure if mine's as good...XD

message 45: by Hannah (new)

Hannah I'm actually having a very difficult time writing the next part... I know what I want to happen, but I can't seem to make it as good as the prologue... But I think I'll enter the rest of it. If I can't, then I'll just leave the prologue as my entry.

Hibari Hanana *(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ* (pichu799) :D okays~! i've been struggling to figure out what to enter actually...so many ideas...so little time...

message 47: by Hannah (new)

Hannah Hanana *Still a Loner WAGASHI~* wrote: ":D okays~! i've been struggling to figure out
what
to enter actually...so many ideas...so little time..."

I hate (but also love) when I have so many ideas... It makes it so hard to choose! I'm sure whatever you enter will be amazing! Everyone has a story in them!

message 48: by Cheyenne, Impressive, Star Fox (new)

I love all the entries so far! It's going to be tough picking the top 4!

Hanna, you better post, girl!

█║ ✕ Angel ‟ Indelible  (sirsly) the sound of Autumn wrote: "HA! Are you kidding me Angel? I love this, I know I probably shouldn't have, but I found great amusement in the little boy's random attacks. Not the violence necessarily, just the fact that the mai..."

Aww shucks.

message 50: by Pirl (new)

Pirl (pirlismyname) Cheyla wrote: "Pirl{a חame that sסuחds like spring} wrote: "Here's my entry:

It's funny. I didn't know the afterlife would be like this. As I watch my own funeral, I think – I'm not sure what I'm feeling. I had ..."

Thanks!

« previous 1 3 4