Tolman Big 50 Book Challenge discussion

What is your favorite genre out of the genres discussed in class? Why do you think it is your favorite?

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Margo (new)

Margo | 4 comments Mod
I personally love Science Fiction. I can't seem to get enough of it lately. I think I love it because there has been a huge increase in the amount of Science Fiction books written in the last 10 years, but I also think the genre has changed a lot. 20 years ago, science fiction was only for people who loved Star Trek and Star Wars. Now science fiction has become a much larger genre to include books like the Hunger Games, Matched, and the Maze Runner. I love the freedom writers have taken to expand the science fiction genre and turn it into my favorite.

message 2: by Dead (new)

Dead (marcwashere) Science Fiction is my favorite genre. Science fiction has grown in the world of writing. The ideas of science fictions are amazing. I really like to learn about science so these books are right up my alley. One of my favorite books is uglies. I highly reccomend reading it. I agree with everything Mrs. Tolman said. I am really exited for the future in science fiction.

message 3: by Hailey (new)

Hailey Story | 3 comments I honestly think Fantasy would be my favorite genre. I like being able to read a book and set my mind to another world. Im very excited about this 50 book challenge. I hope everyone else it too!

message 4: by Elaina (new)

Elaina | 4 comments I love fantasy!!!! Books from this genre can be about anything from dragons to mermaids to wizards. I love that freedom. My favorite books of all time, Harry Potter, are definitely fantasy. But it doesn't stop there. I love Percy Jackson, Lost Hero, Inkheart, Warriors, and more. I can't wait to try Fablehaven. Fantasy is such a flexible genre. It's good for any book lover. Go Harry Potter!!!!! ; )

Peace,Love, and Kittens! -Elaina

message 5: by Dead (new)

Dead (marcwashere) Fantasy is my second favorite genre. This might sound girly, but its mostly because of the mithical creatures. I like giants, golems, cenataurs, werewolves, demons, orges, satyrs, dragons, and devils.

message 6: by Jake (new)

Jake Sistek (wizzy19) | 3 comments My personal opinion on my favorite genre is science fiction simply because the books are futuristic and they include lots of detail.For example "The maze Runner" by James Dashner it is a very good book to read of you love science fiction.

message 7: by [deleted user] (last edited Sep 18, 2012 05:32PM) (new)

science fiction is one of my personal favourite genre because of the action and adventure that always remains in most of the science fiction books and the new ideas.Such as creatures elements planets that is not with in this galaxy. that is one of the reasons I like science fiction. another reason i like science fiction is because the authors usually purge out all there ideas in such a diligent manner not missing a single detail in there writing.That is the second reason i like science fiction. the third is the characters. the charterers usually have some sort of special power that is used to save the earth or save there species. the characters also have entertaining hook that grabs you into reading that specific book.the fourth reason i like science fiction is because the places. the places in most books that are science fiction are great ideas that explore in your mind with creative ideas. I can go on and on about my reasons i like fantasy but i am going to stop here and say these are some of my thoughts about fantasy

message 8: by McKenzie (new)

McKenzie (mckenzielowry) Historical fiction is my favorite because it makes me feel like I am in the past experiencing the events for myself. It gives me a new look on the pro's and con's of the time period. It makes me grateful for the technology we have now, but it makes me wish that times were more simpler because sometimes I feel overwhelmed with the technology. Historical fiction is also my favorite because you can create your own experience of time through the made up characters. Some of my favorite examples of the genre is Angel on the square, Someone named Eva, and Cleopatra's daughter.

message 9: by Jordan (last edited Sep 19, 2012 04:33PM) (new)

Jordan (c00kie_m0nstah) My favorite genre is Fantasy. I love Fantasy because it is nothing like real life and its so magical!!!!!!! And "oh oh oh, it's magic!" I never really liked Fantasy until I read the Trylle (pronounced trill) series! Switched, Torn, and Ascend by Amanda Hocking (which i am currently reading, you should totally read this series btw!)(jessica any day now) Anyway, I like it because it's very creative for people to come up with these people with powers and such! But I only like the book if it's something new, not something that I've all heard before, I wanna hear the authors own little twist of the traditional Myth. so yeah...

message 10: by Serene (new)

Serene (abcs1358) My favorite genre is fantasy because it makes me think like what if our world was like this. I also like to put myself in the position of the main character. I don't really like fantasy books that are like princesses and happiness I like it when the book is sort of dark till the end. So my favorie genre is fantasy because of the way it makes you think.

message 11: by Daniel (new)

Daniel My favorite genre is non fiction.I like reading things that really happened.I tend to like books about wars.
I don't like books that take you to another world.They cause you to escape the real world.So for all you fiction readers.Non fiction is the best.

message 12: by Daniel (new)

Daniel I RECOMMEND TO KILL A MOCKING BIRD,long WALK TO WATER AND MY BROTHERS VOICE.

message 13: by Nickolas (new)

Nickolas hagen my favorite genre to read is graphic noval. i like reading graphic because they have longer story then comics.

message 14: by Elaina (last edited Sep 18, 2012 10:46PM) (new)

Elaina | 4 comments Go to ebooks section! There's a Harry Potter prequel!!!!!! J.K. Rowling actually wrote it!!!!!! It's awesome!!!!!!!! I love Harry Potter!!!!!!

Peace, Love, and Kittens -Elaina

message 15: by Ryley (new)

Ryley Story | 3 comments My favorite genre is fantasy. Why i like fantasy is because i like to read paranormal and that is in the fantasy genre

message 16: by Dylan (new)

Dylan | 1 comments I like graphic novels. i like them becuse they are short and fun to read.graphic novels are cool. i wish to write one or two.

message 17: by Melissa (new)

Melissa My favorite genre is fantasy because it ranges from giant trolls to the smallest fairy,and I like how the fantasy books just urges the reader to continue with the story.

-Melissa

message 18: by Logan (new)

Logan My favorite genre is graphic novels. I like them because they are usually interesting and funny. They have pictures so if you don't understand the words or a vocabulary element you can look at the picture and understand it.

message 19: by Litzy (new)

Litzy I love fantasty because its much more excting and i can really get a better visual then any other genre. I also love mystery. Much more suspence then most genres

message 20: by Jarrett (new)

Jarrett | 3 comments For now I don't have a favorite genre. But I like graphic novels, i like them because you can see what the author was thinking with the pitchers. But if some one puts a book in front of my face and is not really boring I'll read it.

message 21: by Richard (new)

Richard Reinhart my favorite genre would have to be fantasy because it is fast paced and more exciting

message 22: by Margo (new)

Margo | 4 comments Mod
From Eddie: Everybody has their favorite genre, right. Some like Science Fiction and others like romance, but I like Fantasy. I love fantasy because I like to imagine, what if it was real. Like in I am Number 4, what if there actually were these kids and these monsters were chasing them? I think the world of fantasy is so cool because I love the idea of good vs. evil, and fight for survival.

message 23: by Stacey (new)

Stacey (c00k13m0n5tr) | 5 comments My, favorite genre is mostly graphic novels and mystery. This is y cuz, graphic novels entertain me and mystery is full of suspense and thats what I like

message 24: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Carter Currently i dont have one favorite genre but if i have to choose which ones i like the most they would be fantasy and graphic novels. I like fantasy and graphic novels because they're fun to read and it's easy for me to get in to it. Plus for some reason reading them puts me in a good mood depending on the book.

message 25: by Dead (new)

Dead (marcwashere) What about a fantasy book with a twist? Like, in Serpent's Shadow, Apophis defeated Carter and Sadie and swallowed the sun? How about then? Huh? Huh?

message 26: by Max (new)

Max | 4 comments I love fantasy novels because of all the adventure and magic

message 27: by Max (new)

Max | 4 comments Elaina wrote: "Go to ebooks section! There's a Harry Potter prequel!!!!!! J.K. Rowling actually wrote it!!!!!! It's awesome!!!!!!!! I love Harry Potter!!!!!!

Peace, Love, and Kittens -Elaina"

What!!!