Every Day (Every Day, #1) Every Day discussion

What did you think?

Comments Showing 1-46 of 46 (46 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Elyse Very different in a good way but didn't like the ending.

Marie Could not suspend disbelief and accept this book. Totally disliked the -it doesn't matter if I'm a girl or a boy-nonsense. Meh.

Rachel Alice I liked the beginning, but I agree with Marie that the author relied on the 'it doesn't matter if I'm a girl or a boy-nonsense' too much. We get the point. And after a while I jut couldn't invest in a relationship that so clearly was never going to work out.

message 4: by [deleted user] (last edited Oct 18, 2012 10:40PM) (new)

Enjoyability 5/5

How much it made sense 3/5

Also i just ttally fucked the whole no gender thing. I prefered to think of him as a bisexual boy who was sometimes stuck in a girls body

message 5: by Jennifer (last edited Oct 19, 2012 12:55AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jennifer AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!

I was disappointed with the ending as I am a huge fan of happy endings but I think it showed how amazing and unselfish A truly is. I also have hope A will move to New York and find someone that can handle his lifestyle. I'm not sure I could but I think there are some truly amazing people out there that would love A for him and be able to handle the difficulty of him changing bodies everyday.

Pimmy This book was really GREAT!
Well, the ending of this book almost made me close to tear. :'( It made sense about A's decision, he knew he couldn't stay with Rhiannon because of his special condition. So, look back at his decision, there's no selfish thing in there. That's why I could accept about this truth.
But, still, part of me wanted it to be a happy- ending one. xD
Such a PITY!

Dominique Elyse wrote: "Very different in a good way but didn't like the ending."

I totally agree with you, it was good but when I got to the end I was dissapointed.

Mimi I found the book to be completely refreshing and moving. I'm having all my teenaged children read it so we can discuss the ending, because I am conflicted.

Pimmy Mimi wrote: "I found the book to be completely refreshing and moving. I'm having all my teenaged children read it so we can discuss the ending, because I am conflicted."

Yeah! I took this book to my friends at school, too! This really needs discussion! :D

message 10: by B. (new) - rated it 4 stars

B. Allyson I liked the ending. I thought that it really showed how selfless A is. The whole boy/girl thing didn't annoy me, but if the novel ended with A and Rhiannon together it would have annoyed me!

Angelina I swear to you, I had nightmares about this book. I liked it up to the point where the Pastor guy showed up, and said that he knew what A was, now that just freaked me out. Cults and demons, that is what it sounded like to me.

Genevieve Pan Well you all have to realize that there really is no way for A to know if he is really a boy or a girl. Logically speaking, he probably doesn't remember the very first day he was born so he wouldn't necessarily know if he was born a boy or a girl.

Deanna I thought it was amazing. Heartbreaking. My kids loved it too. We all hope they make a movie out of it.

Jasmine I liked this book for many of the reasons people are disliking it. I think the concept of gender is socially constructed anyway. I did see A as a boy, but only because he was presented that way in the beginning. The idea that he used the Internet to create a stable identity was fascinating. The idea that we are so focused on what's on the outside that it is almost impossible to ignore it is very relevant and poignant. While the ending is not what I would have chosen, I feel like it is a very creative and unsettling way to end a creative and unsettling novel. I really enjoyed the idea that love can transcend almost everything--including gender.

Grace Cieleen I liked it but not really loved it. I think I like Levithan when he's collaborating with a second author. I've always had issues with his stand-alone's but don't get me wrong, I love him. He knows the right words and the right timings -- all the time and I adore him for that. It's just that his endings are often disturbing--- and so with Every day.

But overall, I liked the book. I liked its approach and story telling style. :)

Bookaddict The ending of this book left me hanging and thinking what happened to A and the ending is kinda sad but realistic. I like this book.

Chris I thought this book was great! The idea of no gender, race, religion, sexual preference was fascinating. An interesting concept and a very emotional read. I thought A's choices in the end where realistic and heart breaking.

message 18: by Edna (new) - rated it 4 stars

Edna I thought the book had a great concept! I realize that it was a love story, but I can't help but to wish that the plot hadn't been so centered on only the romance aspect. I was hoping that we would have been able to know more about A's personal journey as a "body switcher" and where he/she (whatever) was headed in life or what he/she planned.

It was still a good read though, and I happened to actually enjoy the ending the most. It was very obvious through out the book that there was no way they could end up together. I was actually fearing that the author would bust out with some ridiculous "oh, look I have my own body now how'd that happen, happy ending". I found the ending to be refreshingly realistic and simple yet satisfying enough.

Cassandra I really loved the idea of the book. And I really tried to love the book just as much, but I just couldn't. It was an interesting idea but the book was not so interesting. I had to make myself finish it hoping the ending would make it better but of course it didn't. I think the author should have went more into the whole "you can learn to stay in one body longer" thing. That definitely would have made it more interesting to have more of the facts.

message 20: by Elle (new) - rated it 5 stars

Elle I loved the book. I hope the author makes a sequel!

Nicole I liked the book. The story was unique. Wasn't a fan of the ending though. But A didn't have a choice but continue with his (he's a guy right?) life.

Arlinda Hapsawardhani I LOVEEE IT.
the ending is like a movie called butterfly effect, anyone watched it?
i love this book, i hope david levithan makes more book, i dont think this book need sequel because the ending just perfect (i think)

ireadwonders I thought it was boring but I had the urge to finish this book and then I proved myself wrong. It was very nice and I cried at the ending. I don't want you to think of it as over reacting but it's really heartbreaking for me to give your love one to someone with your full willingness. It was a perfect example of a selfless love.

One thing I didn't like about the book: Rhiannon's name. LOL.

message 24: by CJ (new) - rated it 4 stars

CJ I loved the idea of examining love. Can someone fall in love with the person inside regardless of the outside? Well done.

Kristina I listened to this book and really enjoyed it. I liked unique story line and characters. I have the prequel, but need to read it, buy cant wait to so see what happens six days before.

Victoria Vivian Victorino For me, it's good. I enjoyed it. Though, i expected a happy ending, but that's that. I admire A because he's unselfish.brave.true lover. Lesson learned: don't expect too much of a happy ending xD i have to admit that the ending is good. well not for A :P

Maddie It was off to a slow start, but the book was amazing overall. The diction and narration was beautiful. I loved the ending.

Kidhawk I thought that the book itself was really good but i hated the ending! I can't believe he brought so much into the book in the 3rd quarter of the book and then brought it to a stagerring halt

Laura I loved it. I don't personally think you needed to have invested in A and Rhiannon's relationship to have liked the book. I think I enjoyed it more than I would have if they ended up together, a relationship like that would just not have been plausible, and I think David Levithan did an excellent job with the book overall.

Shynne Marikit I don't like the ending... I don't understand why David Levithan end up his book like this...

Susan Jasmine wrote: "I liked this book for many of the reasons people are disliking it. I think the concept of gender is socially constructed anyway. I did see A as a boy, but only because he was presented that way in ..."
I totally agree with your comments! Loved the book, and the ending!

message 32: by Jen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jen I liked it for the most part, and thought it was really unique. I definitely think there was a huge emphasis put on the "doesn't matter if I'm a boy/girl thing", but I think it put out a good message about acceptance. I kept hoping A would find a way to stay in one body without murdering another soul, but thought it was realistic (as realistic as a book like this could be) that it didn't work out. I also loved the idea that Rhiannon was in love with the person on the inside regardless of the "shell"- what an awesome message and look at love.

Carla Varca I think this novel is a bit similar to 'Time Traveler's Wife' :) b I love the idea, the concept but m also disappointed on how levithan end the story. TTW is way better for me ☺

Liberty I almost burst into tears from the ending because it's not what I expected because the story was slow, which was totally fine but god damn it I can't take it. This need to be made as a movie because I can't contain my imagination for this novel.

message 35: by Lauren (last edited Jun 10, 2013 07:35PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lauren Jasmine wrote: ... I did see A as a boy, but only because he was presented that way in ..."

I saw A as a girl because I listened to the audio, and the voice was a girl's...kind of that scratchy type of voice that maybe could go either way, but bottom line sounds female...

message 36: by Tay (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tay I actually liked the ending.

message 37: by Irna (new) - rated it 5 stars

Irna I liked the ending. Period.
I'm hoping to read more of David Levithan's work...

Mythli I read the book basically in one day. I really really liked the book. The ending made me feel as if something else is going to happen. Like another book. I liked the concept and the original plot to the story. I will be reading lots more of DAvid Levithan.

Shannon I was first interested because of the concept and I went on to like the book (:

message 40: by Arden (last edited Jul 08, 2013 11:36AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Arden I thought the concept of everything was really neat and unique and the writing made it really great. I loved this book. I thought that the way he ended it was perfect and definitely the right thing for A to do.
oh and just as a side note I was really impressed when A took the form of the depressed girl. I think David leviathan showed a lot of creativeness and talent when he wrote that. all in all I thought this was great :D

Caitlyn I liked the idea behind the book, but I couldn't get into it the way it was written. The only thing I could really get was the ending because it had to happen. But as a whole, I just didn't like the book.

Cisco I really liked this book; many people on here are very upset at the gender identity that is not clearly expressed by A. I really liked the fact that there is a lot of emphasis on the mere fact that in life it doesn't really matter if you are a boy or a girl. There is a lot of differences between a boy an a girl, so what about if you don't want to be identified as one... I really enjoyed reading this book.

Cisco CJ wrote: "I loved the idea of examining love. Can someone fall in love with the person inside regardless of the outside? Well done."

CJ, well said. What matters is how you feel inside.

Cisco Mythli wrote: "I read the book basically in one day. I really really liked the book. The ending made me feel as if something else is going to happen. Like another book. I liked the concept and the original plot t..."

Mythli, there is second book out in 2015. See below.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...

Nickey Vu i liked his idea of the story.

message 46: by Grace (new)

Grace Milliman I think A's name symbolizes that he/she never gets to move on in life, because A is the first letter in the alphabet. If A is the beginning and Z is the end, A is stuck at A. He/she has never experienced real, actual life. He/she never gets to move on, never getting to know people or having real friends or family. (Until Rhiannon!)A never gets to progress, having to live a new life every day. That is what I think his name means.