Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Cover Help > To Delete a Cover or Not?

Comments (showing 1-13 of 13) (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cait (last edited Sep 17, 2012 09:38AM) (new)

Cait (tigercait) | 5005 comments Abigail wrote: "I know that normally we create alternative cover editions, but if we believe the image is actually incorrect, it's OK to replace it no?"

If you are sure the image is incorrect, it can be replaced. You have to be absolutely sure, though. Messaging the uploader would be a good place to start.

message 2: by Monique (new)

Monique (Kadiya) | 1099 comments Rivka might be able to tell you better, but in this case, why not save the current cover to your hard drive. Replace the cover art with the correct cover you have and add the second cover with the add additional images feature. I know it is not there for cover art, but if you want to do it now, at least that way you will have both images up and available whichever way turns out to be right.

message 3: by Cait (new)

Cait (tigercait) | 5005 comments Monique wrote: "Replace the cover art with the correct cover you have and add the second cover with the add additional images feature."

No, please don't do this. The additional images are not for cover art and removing valid cover images is grounds for losing your librarian status. If you can't confirm the validity of the covers, you'll just have to make an alternate cover edition.

message 4: by Monique (new)

Monique (Kadiya) | 1099 comments Cait wrote: "Monique wrote: "Replace the cover art with the correct cover you have and add the second cover with the add additional images feature."

No, please don't do this. The additional images are not for ..."

Cait, I'll keep that in mind.

message 5: by Monique (new)

Monique (Kadiya) | 1099 comments On a more general note about cover images, I would hate to have tons of records with alternate cover images just because we can't be 110% sure that the cover is correct. There must be some way to weed out wrong cover images.

message 6: by Monique (new)

Monique (Kadiya) | 1099 comments Abigail wrote: "I have left the listing alone, but it really bothers me that the librarian in question is unreachable. If I could confirm with her that she has a different edition, than this could be resolved. I t..."

Abigail,

On that I must agree. Librarians should be accessible for exactly this type of reason.

Also, sorry for the really bad info on my part.

message 7: by Monique (new)

Monique (Kadiya) | 1099 comments Oh, I have no issues with alt cover editions. I have quite a number of them myself. I just think that we should have some way of weeding out incorrect covers instead of leaving everything out there, incorrect or not, just because we are not 110% sure.

I agree with you that this is not the correct cover. I did a search for that ISBN and not one record I found was associated with this current cover.

message 8: by Banjomike (new)

Banjomike | 5524 comments Abigail wrote: "I can include a link to the message board where I obtained the information, if necessary. "

Sounds good. We can always use the help of experts.

message 9: by C-Cose (last edited Sep 17, 2012 02:25PM) (new)

C-Cose Daley | 128 comments Greetings,

Wrt uploading alternate covers to the photos section for entries ...

I uploaded, some time ago, an image of the original cover for the first US printing of Game of Thrones (ISBN 10 0553103547) as the default cover is that for a later re-printing of this book.

I chose not to input any edition info as I do not have the edition to which the default cover corresponds to; therefore I don't know which printing it is. I do, however, know that the default cover does not correspond to the first printing that I do physically have.

Should I have made a new entry indicating the first printing status of the book that I have?

message 10: by vicki_girl (new)

vicki_girl | 2765 comments Yes. Please create an alternate cover edition for that ISBN.

message 11: by C-Cose (last edited Sep 18, 2012 12:18PM) (new)

C-Cose Daley | 128 comments vicki_girl wrote: "Yes. Please create an alternate cover edition for that ISBN."

Will do :) As the balance of the info on the original record is correct, I'll just copy / paste that with the addition of "1st US Printing" in the edition field then.

Note: I did not duplicate the "Work Settings" data as I read it to mean that it was applicable to all works linked to that title.

message 12: by vicki_girl (new)

vicki_girl | 2765 comments C-Cose wrote: "Note: I did not duplicate the "Work Settings" data as I read it to mean that it was applicable to all works linked to that title."

Correct. The "Work settings" will populate to the new edition when they are combined.

message 13: by Phil (new)

Phil (Notacat) | 37 comments Abigail wrote: "OK, I have confirmation from the experts (that was quick!): Barney, over on the Enid Blyton Society website, confirms that the image uploaded for this edition actually belongs to an edition that was published in 1970. Since the edition I own came out for the first time in 2007, I think that settles it. I'll go ahead and delete the image, when I'm ready to upload mine - unless I hear otherwise from the PTB.

ETA: I can include a link to the message board where I obtained the information, if necessary."

Is there a particular reason that you cannot transfer the incorrect image to the edition to which it actually applies, rather than just deleting it?