YA Buddy Readers' Corner ♥ discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives > I wish I could go to...

Comments Showing 1-50 of 70 (70 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Jonababez (new)

Jonababez | 2458 comments This is a fun game where we will just fill in the blanks!
I'll start! I wish I could go to..

PARIS!! And see the Eiffel Tower!! :)

message 2: by Juls (new)

Juls (juls1980) | 287 comments Bahamas so i can get some R n R :)

message 3: by Sapir (new)

Sapir | 329 comments New York. I've been there only once and it was awesome.

message 4: by Beatrice (new)

Beatrice Masaluñga (beatricemasalunga) | 5358 comments Harry Potter Theme Park! so I can see the HP World (somehow)

message 5: by Jalyn (new)

Jalyn (jalynnie) | 3847 comments Beatrice wrote: "Harry Potter Theme Park! so I can see the HP World (somehow)"

I went in June and it was amazing! I literally cried when I walked under the arch. It was like stepping right into the books. You have to go! I told everyone I was with to just leave me there while they visited the rest of the park. I have an 8 year old son and we hung out in there all day. He was reading The Sorcerer's Stone then and I think it was the best day of his life :)

message 6: by Juls (new)

Juls (juls1980) | 287 comments Jalyn, your 8 yr old has read HP??? wow! i cant get my 10 yr old to read for fun.

message 7: by Jalyn (new)

Jalyn (jalynnie) | 3847 comments Venice, Italy. I want a tour in a gondola :)

message 8: by Jalyn (new)

Jalyn (jalynnie) | 3847 comments Juls wrote: "Jalyn, your 8 yr old has read HP??? wow! i cant get my 10 yr old to read for fun."

He just finished HP 3 actually. He's always enjoyed reading, but my husband and I recently made a rule that has had him reading a lot more...he's allowed to stay up for an extra hour every night, as long as he uses that time to read. It's crazy how much faster he's gotten at reading. He finished book 3 in 10 days!!

message 9: by Juls (new)

Juls (juls1980) | 287 comments that is impressive Jalyn! how is he liking the series?

message 10: by Jalyn (new)

Jalyn (jalynnie) | 3847 comments He loves it! He was obsessed with the movies so I thought I'd see if he could handle the books. I'm so happy I encouraged him to give it a try. He's so proud of himself for reading them :) Sorry I'm bragging a bit, it's just that when you love reading, it's so incredibly exciting when you can share the love with your child! I'm lucky I found something he was really into for him to read. He read the first Diary of a Wimpy Kid, but he didn't enjoy it that much and it took him a few months to finish it. I was the same way when I was little though. I read a few of the Ramona books, but I wasn't in love with them and therefore I wasn't really in love with reading. Then my Gram bought an American Girl doll for me with the matching books and I flew through them. After that I didn't find too much that I enjoyed until the Harry Potter books came out and I haven't stopped reading since. I think you just have to find the kind of stuff that interests your child and you're set, but finding the right book isn't always easy. :)

message 11: by Angel / YA rules!/ (last edited Sep 17, 2012 05:18PM) (new)

Angel / YA rules!/ | 958 comments Jalyn wrote: "Beatrice wrote: "Harry Potter Theme Park! so I can see the HP World (somehow)"

I went in June and it was amazing! I literally cried when I walked under the arch. It was like stepping right into th..."

good for you, i can't even get my 7 year old to read the thin paperback ones... great job! though he loves reading childrens books, i guess i'll just have to wait til he's ready to take on the novels.

message 12: by Night Owl (new)

Night Owl Reader (allnightreading) Japan, Sushi everyday, manga everywhere, anime on TV all the time! My kind of heaven! I could also learn Japanese a lot faster!

Angel / YA rules!/ | 958 comments Santorini, Greece ... =) I like the view.

message 14: by Beatrice (new)

Beatrice Masaluñga (beatricemasalunga) | 5358 comments Jalyn wrote: "Beatrice wrote: "Harry Potter Theme Park! so I can see the HP World (somehow)"

I went in June and it was amazing! I literally cried when I walked under the arch. It was like stepping right into th..."

I'm Jealous! I want to go back to Universal Studios Orlando. :( (Went 4 years ago.. and HP theme park is still under construction. LOL)

message 15: by Beatrice (new)

Beatrice Masaluñga (beatricemasalunga) | 5358 comments I want to go to Marina Bay Sands in Singapore.

message 16: by Jalyn (last edited Sep 18, 2012 06:12AM) (new)

Jalyn (jalynnie) | 3847 comments Beatrice wrote: "Jalyn wrote: "Beatrice wrote: "Harry Potter Theme Park! so I can see the HP World (somehow)"

I went in June and it was amazing! I literally cried when I walked under the arch. It was like stepping..."

Oh that sucks :( When you do get a chance to go again, make sure you stay at least one night at one of the hotels associated with Universal. Then you get to go into the park 2 hours before it opens and you can actually walk around and look at everything. Once it's open to the public it's wall to wall people!

message 17: by Jalyn (last edited Sep 18, 2012 06:22AM) (new)

Jalyn (jalynnie) | 3847 comments Angel / YA rules!/ wrote: "Jalyn wrote: "Beatrice wrote: "Harry Potter Theme Park! so I can see the HP World (somehow)"

I went in June and it was amazing! I literally cried when I walked under the arch. It was like stepping..."

It probably won't be long. My son went from the "I Can Read" books to Diary of a Wimpy Kid overnight. He wanted to read a big kid book because his friends were getting prizes from his school for reading and he wanted one too. We have an accelerated reader program where the kids read a book and take a test and get points based on the level of reading difficulty. It's a wonderful program. I love anything that gets kids to read :)

message 18: by Novel (new)

Novel (velsanchez1) | 2890 comments the Philippines! I just want to go home and eat lots and lots of Filipino food. LOL!

message 19: by Night Owl (new)

Night Owl Reader (allnightreading) Novel wrote: "the Philippines! I just want to go home and eat lots and lots of Filipino food. LOL!"

What is Filipino food like?

message 20: by Jalyn (new)

Jalyn (jalynnie) | 3847 comments Sarah wrote: "Novel wrote: "the Philippines! I just want to go home and eat lots and lots of Filipino food. LOL!"

What is Filipino food like?"

That is a good question. I don't know much about food from different countries. I've had Italian, Mexican and Chinese (though I'm told the Chinese food around here pales in comparison to the food in the actual contry), but that's about it. Oh, and American. Silly me :)

message 21: by Night Owl (new)

Night Owl Reader (allnightreading) Jalyn wrote: "Sarah wrote: "Novel wrote: "the Philippines! I just want to go home and eat lots and lots of Filipino food. LOL!"

That is a good question. I don't know much about foo..."

It does pale in comparison, I should know! :P

message 22: by Jalyn (new)

Jalyn (jalynnie) | 3847 comments Really? Are the spices different or is it cooked different? Or something else? I'm a baker so I'm interested in all things related to food :)

message 23: by Night Owl (new)

Night Owl Reader (allnightreading) Jalyn wrote: "Really? Are the spices different or is it cooked different? Or something else? I'm a baker so I'm interested in all things related to food :)"

It's prepared slightly differently, and Chinese people just know how to prepare and cook it in a more traditional way! The thing I hate the most is what known as California Chinese food, because that is just not traditional, it just taste different than real authentic Chinese food! They put more care into preparing it!

message 24: by Jalyn (new)

Jalyn (jalynnie) | 3847 comments I've never been to California, so I don't know if the people around here are close to that or not. The restaurant I like the best is owned and staffed by Chinese people, so maybe they are close to traditional. Hmmm...

message 25: by Jalyn (new)

Jalyn (jalynnie) | 3847 comments I'm hungry for Chinese food now! Lol

message 26: by Night Owl (new)

Night Owl Reader (allnightreading) Jalyn wrote: "I've never been to California, so I don't know if the people around here are close to that or not. The restaurant I like the best is owned and staffed by Chinese people, so maybe they are close to ..."

Maybe, I just hate American style Chinese food, that sounds weird, but they manage to make it Chinese food, but still not taste like the traditional stuff! Anyways, I would hope that you get a chance to taste the traditional stuff, because they are much better!

message 27: by Night Owl (new)

Night Owl Reader (allnightreading) Jalyn wrote: "I'm hungry for Chinese food now! Lol"

Ooops! :P No Chinese restaurants near by?

message 28: by Jalyn (new)

Jalyn (jalynnie) | 3847 comments Sarah wrote: "Jalyn wrote: "I've never been to California, so I don't know if the people around here are close to that or not. The restaurant I like the best is owned and staffed by Chinese people, so maybe they..."

Someday! My husband and I are planning on taking the first summer that all of our kids are out of the house and travelling around the world. That won't happen for another 15 years, but I'm planning it already :)

message 29: by Jalyn (new)

Jalyn (jalynnie) | 3847 comments Sarah wrote: "Jalyn wrote: "I'm hungry for Chinese food now! Lol"

Ooops! :P No Chinese restaurants near by?"

Yeah we do. It's right down the street from us actually. I just have to talk the hubby into ordering take-out instead of the much cheaper meal in! Lol

message 30: by Night Owl (new)

Night Owl Reader (allnightreading) Jalyn wrote: "Sarah wrote: "Jalyn wrote: "I've never been to California, so I don't know if the people around here are close to that or not. The restaurant I like the best is owned and staffed by Chinese people,..."

It's a good plan! Traveling with the family is a very fun thing to do! Take lots of pictures, eat lots of yummy foods! And explore, learn different cultures! And remember to goof and play around too! :]

message 31: by Night Owl (new)

Night Owl Reader (allnightreading) Jalyn wrote: "Sarah wrote: "Jalyn wrote: "I'm hungry for Chinese food now! Lol"

Yeah we do. It's right down the street from us actually. I just have to talk the hubby..."

I love take outs, only because I can't sit still in the restaurant for too long! Though sometimes it's fun to read while eating in the restaurant! I do that sometimes! :]

message 32: by Jalyn (new)

Jalyn (jalynnie) | 3847 comments Sarah wrote: "Jalyn wrote: "Sarah wrote: "Jalyn wrote: "I've never been to California, so I don't know if the people around here are close to that or not. The restaurant I like the best is owned and staffed by C..."

That trip will just be my hubby and myself. We married really young and never had a chance to go on a honeymoon, so that will be ours. Better late than never though, right? :)

message 33: by Night Owl (new)

Night Owl Reader (allnightreading) Jalyn wrote: "Sarah wrote: "Jalyn wrote: "Sarah wrote: "Jalyn wrote: "I've never been to California, so I don't know if the people around here are close to that or not. The restaurant I like the best is owned an..."

Yep! Well, adults needs to play and goof around sometimes too! Keep the child inside of you happy! :]

message 34: by Jalyn (new)

Jalyn (jalynnie) | 3847 comments Sarah wrote: "Jalyn wrote: "Sarah wrote: "Jalyn wrote: "I'm hungry for Chinese food now! Lol"

Yeah we do. It's right down the street from us actually. I just have to ..."

Do you go by yourself? I've always wanted to do that, or maybe go to a cafe and read, but I'm almost never alone! :)

message 35: by Night Owl (new)

Night Owl Reader (allnightreading) Yea, I go by myself! I can't very well read when I have company! lol

message 36: by Jalyn (new)

Jalyn (jalynnie) | 3847 comments Hahaha yeah I guess not! I'm jealous. Maybe I'll do it someday.

message 37: by Night Owl (new)

Night Owl Reader (allnightreading) I'm sure you will find a chance to do so!

message 38: by Jalyn (new)

Jalyn (jalynnie) | 3847 comments Maybe I'll take a break and do that while I'm out Christmas shopping later in the year :)

message 39: by Night Owl (new)

Night Owl Reader (allnightreading) Good idea!

message 40: by Beatrice (new)

Beatrice Masaluñga (beatricemasalunga) | 5358 comments Sarah wrote: "Novel wrote: "the Philippines! I just want to go home and eat lots and lots of Filipino food. LOL!"

Any meal that can be paired up to a cup of rice.. (unlimited rice? LOL)

message 41: by Beatrice (last edited Sep 19, 2012 04:06AM) (new)

Beatrice Masaluñga (beatricemasalunga) | 5358 comments Jalyn wrote: "Beatrice wrote: "Jalyn wrote: "Beatrice wrote: "Harry Potter Theme Park! so I can see the HP World (somehow)"

I went in June and it was amazing! I literally cried when I walked under the arch. It ..."

Maybe soon. I would like to come back if I have a chance and have the guts to ride on extreme rollercoasters.

message 42: by Jalyn (new)

Jalyn (jalynnie) | 3847 comments Beatrice wrote: "Jalyn wrote: "Beatrice wrote: "Jalyn wrote: "Beatrice wrote: "Harry Potter Theme Park! so I can see the HP World (somehow)"

I went in June and it was amazing! I literally cried when I walked under..."

You have to do the one inside Hogwarts. It isn't a rollercoaster, but it is awesome. Do you know much about simulated rides? We rode a bunch while we were down there, but the HP one was by far the best! Do NOT ride Flight of the Hippogriff, unless you like to have your body slammed into the sides of a coaster. That one was awful! The Dragon Challenge goes upside down, but it was fun :)

message 43: by Steven (new)

Steven (stevengrecia) HOGWARTS! Who's with me?

message 44: by Night Owl (new)

Night Owl Reader (allnightreading) Steven wrote: "HOGWARTS! Who's with me?"

I am! I'd love to learn magic! I bet I will excel in it because it's more interesting than Muggle subjects! like Math or Science!

Angel / YA rules!/ | 958 comments Steven wrote: "HOGWARTS! Who's with me?"

yeah!!!

message 46: by Night Owl (new)

Night Owl Reader (allnightreading) Angel / YA rules!/ wrote: "Steven wrote: "HOGWARTS! Who's with me?"

yeah!!! "

Love the monkey, Angel! Very cute! What house do you think you would be sort into?

Angel / YA rules!/ | 958 comments Sarah wrote: "Angel / YA rules!/ wrote: "Steven wrote: "HOGWARTS! Who's with me?"

yeah!!! "

Love the monkey, Angel! Very cute! What house do you think you would be sort into?"

Ravenclaw... =)

message 48: by Steven (new)

Steven (stevengrecia) Sarah wrote: "Steven wrote: "HOGWARTS! Who's with me?"

I am! I'd love to learn magic! I bet I will excel in it because it's more interesting than Muggle subjects! like Math or Science!"

RIGHT YOU ARE SARAH. I'm gonna be a Hogwarts professor someday!

message 49: by Night Owl (new)

Night Owl Reader (allnightreading) Angel / YA rules!/ wrote: "Sarah wrote: "Angel / YA rules!/ wrote: "Steven wrote: "HOGWARTS! Who's with me?"

yeah!!! "

Love the monkey, Angel! Very cute! What house do you think you would be sort into?"

Ravenclaw... =)"

I wish I would be sort into Ravenclaw, but I have a feeling that I will either be a Gryffindor or a Hufflepuff.

message 50: by Steven (new)

Steven (stevengrecia) Sarah wrote: "Angel / YA rules!/ wrote: "Steven wrote: "HOGWARTS! Who's with me?"

yeah!!! "

I think I'm also Ravenclaw! :)

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.