Book Geeks and Bookniks discussion

What We're Reading > Reading into fall....

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Theresa (new)

Theresa What are you reading while you're sipping apple cider and watching the leaves turn?

message 2: by Theresa (new)

Theresa I received my very own autographed copy of Death of a Schoolgirl, the first in a new series by Joanna Slan. Jane Eyre is the intrepid sleuth. Joanna is a dear friend of mine and this is my first look at the book since I read it as a manuscript. A nicely atmospheric cozy.

message 3: by Gretchen (new)

Gretchen (gkonkler5) I'm reading Kent Haruf's Where You Once Belonged and really enjoyiing it.

message 4: by Sam (new)

Sam (ecowitch) | 157 comments I'm reading The Green Mile at the moment and I'm about half way through and thoroughly enjoying it. Not sure what's going to be next on my list though...uhmmmm decisions decisions!

message 5: by Annika (new)

Annika Yesterday I finished The Age of Miracles which I simply adored. It was so beautifully written. This morning I finished listening to Fly Away Home which I liked well enough but not nearly as much as other Jennifer Weiner books I've read or listened to. Hopefully tonight I'll finish The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry. I'm enjoying it, but it is verrrrry slow. The writing is lovely.

message 6: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 95 comments Annika I could not get through Weiner's last one but I will still probably check that out eventually. Also Miracles is on my list. The library list is very long. I really am rereading The Passage now to get ready for The Twelve so I paused my other reads and froze most of my library holds. I am reading it faster than I thought but it will still take a chunk of time!

message 7: by Annika (new)

Annika The Passage is sooooo long, but I'd imagine it's just as awesome the second time around. I'm going to try to wing it when i get the Twelve because I'm not up for a re-read of anything right now:)

message 8: by Annika (new)

Annika Oh and Leslie - you will loooooove Miracles!

message 9: by Mary (new)

Mary | 236 comments I'm about 1/4 of the way through Tatjana Soli's THE FORGETTING TREE, and I'm liking, but not yet loving it. (Love the cover, though!) I really loved THE LOTUS EATERS, and got this ARC from BookBrowse. (Q read THE UNLIKELY PILGRIMAGE OF HAROLD FRY, Annika, and thought it was a worthwhile read. I'll get to it at some point, but I have a few others I'm eager to get to first. Priorities!)

message 10: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 95 comments I wasn't wanting a reread either but I get book amnesia half the time if I read it over a year ago!! And now that I'm in it I'm ok because I forgot enough that it seems somewhat new. The details I mean. The characters I remember. If that makes sense!

message 12: by Caroline (new)

Caroline  (caro7) Leslie wrote: "I wasn't wanting a reread either but I get book amnesia half the time if I read it over a year ago!! And now that I'm in it I'm ok because I forgot enough that it seems somewhat new. The details I ..."

I never, and I do mean NEVER reread books, but I wish I could bring myself to reread The Passage in preparation for reading The Twelve because there is so much in The Passage! I don't think I've forgotten the important stuff, though, so I think it'll be all good when I start reading The Twelve. We shall see. If there weren't so many books on my TBR shelf I'd be more interested in rereading my favorite books.

message 13: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 95 comments I know what you mean Caroline. I get antsy Rereading sometimes like I'm missing out. However there are times when only an old favorite will do.

message 14: by Sam (new)

Sam (ecowitch) | 157 comments I've finished The Green Mile and have now started How to Survive a Garden Gnome Attack: Defend Yourself When the Lawn Warriors Strike and aim to start Curse Of The Darkling Mill this evening. I also plan to start A Study In Scarlet either tonight or tomorrow.

message 15: by Annika (new)

Annika I did manage to finish The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry last night and I ended up liking it more than I did when I posted earlier. I think it's a strong 4 stars. There were some revelations at the end that I totally didn't see coming and changed my perspective throughout. I love when things like that happen. It was also beautifully written, however, I would have shortened it by about 50 pages. I think I'm going to start The Light Between Oceansthis evening. It looks wonderful.

message 16: by Melki (new)

Melki I'm not exactly in a reading slump, but this cooler weather has put a new spring (or autumn) in my step, and I'm finding it hard to sit still long enough to read.

When I'm not working on projects, I'm reading the very enjoyable The Tower, The Zoo, and The Tortoise and the too-textbookish-to-be-enjoyable The Selfish Gene.

message 17: by Liz (new)

Liz I'm about 3/4 of the way through 11/22/63 which I've been working on for several days now. I still have issues with King's 800+ page books, but I must admit that I'm finding this one fascinating. I think I'll be ready for a light cozy after this one though.

message 18: by Laurel (new)

Laurel (laureljean) I didn't read the entire time we were in Europe, not even on the airplane. Now I'm trying to catch up. I'm almost finished with Something Wicked This Way Comes and also reading Half Blood Blues. There are so many new books that interest me that I need to make some time to read what I have.

message 19: by Sam (new)

Sam (ecowitch) | 157 comments I've finished both How to Survive a Garden Gnome Attack: Defend Yourself When the Lawn Warriors Strike and Curse Of The Darkling Mill and have started A Study In Scarlet but don't think its going to last me until the end of the week. The question is what to start next...will be back once I've decided (oh decisions decisions decisions!)

message 20: by Kel (new)

Kel | 34 comments Theresa wrote: "I received my very own autographed copy of Death of a Schoolgirl, the first in a new series by Joanna Slan. Jane Eyre is the intrepid sleuth. Joanna is a dear friend of mine and this is my first ..."
I am looking forward to reading that book. You were lucky to get a freebie!

message 21: by Sam (new)

Sam (ecowitch) | 157 comments Finished A Study In Scarlet last night and plan to start Myth Nomers And Im Pervections at some point today :-)

message 22: by Sam (new)

Sam (ecowitch) | 157 comments Finished Myth Nomers And Im Pervections over the weekend along with The Walking Dead, Book One and The Walking Dead, Book Two.

I also started Earth, Inversions and Death du Jour on Saturday :-)