The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group discussion

Report for Duty > Hello, I'm new!

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Marsali (new)

Marsali Taylor (marsalitaylor) | 4 comments Hello from the Shetland Isles, half way between Scotland and Norway. I'm new to the group, and a keen reader of mystery / crime / thrillers. My favourite older author is John Dickson Carr, but I also enjoy Edmund Crispin - I'm looking forward to discovering other classic authors through this group. Of the moderns, I love Fred Vargas and Val McDermid - McDermid for her twisty, can't put down plots, and Vargas for her wonderfully eccentric characters. I like a clever plot, and prefer to avoid twisted women-killing psychopaths.

message 2: by Wendy (new)

Wendy | 558 comments Welcome. Shetland Isles, sounds like a great place to live.

message 3: by Bill, Co-Moderator (new)

Bill | 5415 comments Mod
I visited the Shetland Islands once a few years back. Unfortunately, it was just an overnight stay so I didn't get to see much of it. Welcome to the group. I've read a couple of Edmund Crispins and enjoyed them. Val McDermid is also an excellent writer. Hope you get more ideas here.

message 4: by Terry (new)

Terry Ambrose Hey Marshall, welcome to the group! You've certainly come to the right place to find new voices. Like me, lots of us here!

message 5: by Creature (new)

Creature | 93 comments Hello:
Welcome to the group and...Have a Great Day!!!
The "Creature"

message 6: by Deb (new)

Deb | 6 comments Welcome to the group and I am new also!!

message 7: by Marsali (new)

Marsali Taylor (marsalitaylor) | 4 comments Thank you all for that welcome. I look forward to our discussions - it's so amazing that you can talk to like-minded enthusiasts all over the world through the internet. What did we ever do without it?

message 8: by Donna, Co-Moderator (new)

Donna | 2178 comments Mod
Welcome Marsali. It is wonderful that we're able to have such international discussions. Glad you found us.

message 9: by Katherine (new)

Katherine | 187 comments Marsali, hi, having a really busy time clearing 2200 unread topics. Once I get down to who is really here I am really looking forward to being part of this readers group, Katherine

message 10: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (emtmelissa) | 35 comments Welcome new members!

message 11: by Joan (new)

Joan | 94 comments Welcome to the group, Marshall. I've never visited your part of the world, but I'd love to. My ancestors were all Norwegian and I wish I could travel from Scotland to Norway and everywhere in between.

Joan
writing as J. K. Maze

message 12: by Marie-Jo (new)

Marie-Jo Fortis | 118 comments Bienvenue, Marsali.

message 13: by Katherine (new)

Katherine | 187 comments Now down to 1700 unread topics!

message 14: by Wendy (new)

Wendy | 558 comments GO KATHERINE

message 15: by Katherine (new)

Katherine | 187 comments Down to 1500 now. So happy. I can now see the wood for the trees to a certain extent. Also found how to mass delete the older topics but ipad app doesn't seem to have recognised it. Cleared on safari but not on app. May have to power down

message 16: by Shelah (new)

Shelah (shelahkinnard) Hello all from Atlanta, Georgia. Thank you Jac for the invitation.

message 17: by Linda (new)

Linda (beaulieulinda117gmailcom) | 1364 comments Hello Shelah, welcome to the group.

message 18: by Marie-Jo (new)

Marie-Jo Fortis | 118 comments Bienvenue to the group,Shelah.

message 19: by Charles (new)

Charles Beddingfield (charlesbeddingfield) | 40 comments Hello Marsali. Welcome from another fairly new member. The nearest I've been to the Shetlands is Orkney. Loved Stromness. I'm interested in your name. I recently read The Lewis Man by Peter May (and wrote a post in the Peter May thread in this group) which had a character called Marsaili (one letter different). Not being of Scots or Island descent I was puzzled how to pronounce the name. Could you enlighten me/us please? And the same re Fionnlagh. Is that the equivalent of Finlay?
Charles Beddingfield.

message 20: by Charles (new)

Charles Oh, goody. Someone else who likes the old ones.