iBooks discussion

Question about opening epubs in iBooks in Ipad3

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Beeg (new)

Beeg Panda (beegpanda) | 6 comments I'm so glad I found a forum dedicated to iBooks. I'm at my wits end and there are so many Q&As when I google this problem, yet none of them seem to help.

Would someone please put me out of my misery? I would be eternally grateful. My techno skills are verrrry limited so I hope I'm conveying my issue over in a manner that you can understand.

Ok, here goes:

* I use gmail to send my ebooks to my ipad.

* then in my gmail inbox, I click on the epub and choose "Open books in iBooks".

*SOMETIMES the epub opens up immediately in iBooks.

*MOSTLY it doesnt and therein lies my problem:

* I have to go back and forth between iBooks and gmail and eventually, after many attempts I can finally download the book in iBooks.

* Ive tried closing ALL apps: safari, gmail, Notes, etc then giving it a try again.

* Ive tried switching my iPad off and then on.

* Ive tried putting it in sleep mode and then on again.

* I know there is no fault in the epubs itself because I EVENTUALLY get it right and it opens and reads fine.

* I have no idea what else to do.

* I dont like to read the Kindle, Stanza and pdf on my iPad. I really dont want to change to another ereader app either. The iBooks reading experience is IT for me.

* I cant use iTunes to put the books in iBooks because for some reason when I transfer the books from my laptop to my ipad, some don't transfer over and some are deleted.

* I find it so easy to use gmail, because I also use gmail as "virtual" storage for my ebooks.

Thanks for any help, much appreaciated.
Can someone please advise?

message 2: by Lily (new)

Lily | 1 comments There are a bunch of different ways to go about getting books on your ipad, but the one that works best for me on my iPad 3 is to use a program called sugarsync - https://www.sugarsync.com/ which you can download to your computer and ipad. From there you can add epubs (or any files on your computer that you want to access on your ipad). After you've done that, you open sugarsync on your ipad, download the file and open in iBooks!

message 3: by Beeg (last edited Sep 17, 2012 08:19AM) (new)

Beeg Panda (beegpanda) | 6 comments Lily wrote: "There are a bunch of different ways to go about getting books on your ipad, but the one that works best for me on my iPad 3 is to use a program called sugarsync - https://www.sugarsync.com/ which y..."

Lily - thanks, I am gonna give this one a try!!! Anything that'll work, I will try :)
In the meantime I'd just downloaded stanza again and yugh - I dont like it although it opens epubs up that iBooks doesnt. Ideally iTunes should do the trick but I cant be bothered with long stories: playing around until I get it right, cos while Im trying to figure it all out, my ebooks disappear - urgh

Thanks again for advise, Im gonna come back here and let you know how it went ;)

message 4: by Beeg (new)

Beeg Panda (beegpanda) | 6 comments Sugar sync didn't work for me. I'm obviously doing something wrong. Any other ideas for someone with limited technical knowledge?

message 5: by David (new)

David (dmjossel) | 1 comments iTunes? DropBox? Calibre?

message 6: by Harrison (new)

Harrison Davies (harrisondavies) | 11 comments I just email the ePUB to my .me email, select the file it in the email and "open in iBooks"

message 7: by Beeg (new)

Beeg Panda (beegpanda) | 6 comments Thanks. Calibre seems to be working well so far.
I was using gmail to open in iBooks, that's the one I had problems with so I decided to send to my hotmail account and believe it or not, it's working. Thanks for the help.