What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Query abandoned by poster > ABANDONED. Looking for a book about an alien invasion

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lori (new)

Lori | 1 comments I am looking for a sci-fi book from the 80's about an alien invasion where the aliens where some kind of insect or worm which might have been able to take over people. The name of the aliens were something like the Chorr, Yor, or something like that.

There were at least 2 books. One in which the alien invasion was repelled and a second one involving a parallel universe with Nazis.

Any help is appreciated.

message 2: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) Stephen Ames Berry wrote the The Biofab War & several other books that might be what you're looking for. I don't recall the Nazis, but there was a parallel universe.

message 4: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 221 comments A Matter For Men (The War Against the Chtorr, #1)

has alien invasion, worms, and Chtorr.

No nazis, no taking over people, total of 4 books, book five is still coming out someday...

message 5: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) The alien invasion wasn't repelled in 'A Matter For Men' though, was it? I don't recall a parallel universe, either. It's been a while since I read it, too. I read the prelude to it maybe 5 years ago & liked it better than the later Chtorr books. 'Far Side of the Sky' or something like that. It was a trilogy packed into 1 thick hard back.

message 6: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 221 comments Matter for Men is the first one-no prelude-He's got some other books that seem to lead towards it, but not totally tied in. At least not that David Gerrold has admitted, lol.

The invasion is not repelled, and no parallel universe, unless you took it that way, no travelling between universes, that's for sure

message 7: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) It's Gerrold's call, but it's pretty hard not to get that idea. How did you like the later books in the Chtorr series, Dawn? I barely made it through the 3d on & am not sure I did the 4th, for all I loved the first one. All the weird philosophy either bored me or turned me off.

message 8: by Shanna_redwind (new)

Shanna_redwind | 858 comments Could it be The Puppet Masters

This has slugs taking men over, but there's no series.

message 9: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 221 comments I actually really enjoyed the whole series, and am still anxiously awaiting book 5 after nearly 20 years ;)

message 10: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) No Nazis in "The Puppet Masters" either.

message 11: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 39819 comments Mod
Lori, are you still looking for this? Were anyone's suggestions the right book?

Justanotherbiblophile | 1779 comments Well, if you exclude the Nazis, set it in the future with human colony worlds, there's an Aliens take-off which might be something to look into:
_The Vang_ and _The Vang: The Battlemaster_

message 13: by Ann aka Iftcan (last edited Dec 22, 2013 03:12PM) (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6967 comments Mod
The Vang: The Battlemaster and The Vang: The Military Form Starhammer

I think that's the entire series that Just recommended. But that series isn't like what the OP listed at all. . .

message 14: by Justanotherbiblophile (last edited Dec 22, 2013 09:32PM) (new)

Justanotherbiblophile | 1779 comments 1) The military battlemaster form took over humans.
2) Sorta insect-like.
3) Series (didn't know there was a 3rd 1st book)
4) One of those short strange names.

Mentioned where it didn't overlap with OP's write-up. And didn't declare, 'this is definitely it', but offered it up as a suggestion, in case OP has mixed-up some stories. :P

Ann has 'em listed in reverse order, which is why I got confused

message 15: by Justanotherbiblophile (last edited Dec 22, 2013 09:16PM) (new)

Justanotherbiblophile | 1779 comments Heh, and Ann, I read it... many years ago.

I decided to sit down and scan over my purchased book records, looking for this (when search on 'var' came up fruitless). Took me going thru 6 years worth of records, and a fair bit of time (I also need to go weed out duplicates in my collection.)

Oh yeah, Why did I read this? Cause I liked something else that author had done, or an author with a name near his...

Meh, bookstores - more like crack stores, amiright? :P

message 16: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6967 comments Mod
Yeah, sometimes when I go in there, I feel like the people who work there should be wearing trench coats and offering to sell me my books from out of the coats. Definitely like crack. :o) And my habit is huge. And I have been weeding out duplicates too. Except for my Andre Norton's. With those it's duplicates of COVERS not stories. Simply because some of those old covers are just too wonderful. Check out these covers for Storm Over Warlock
Storm Over Warlock (Forerunner, #1) by Andre Norton Storm Over Warlock (Forerunner, #1) by Andre Norton Storm Over Warlock by Andre Norton Storm Over Warlock by Andre Norton Storm Over Warlock by Andre Norton