Paranormal & Urban Fantasy, Monthly Group Reads discussion

Chit Chat - Getting to Know You > Paperbackswap.com - Who uses it?

Comments Showing 1-46 of 46 (46 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ♥Tricia♥, Group Lead (new)

♥Tricia♥ (siddie) | 1167 comments Mod
Ok this site is very cool, I had heard about it a while back and didnt think much of it then in another group it was brought up again, so I decided to sign up for it.
And its actually VERY cool!

So I figure we could have a list of members who wish to share their profile with us so we can add them as buddies :D

Here is mine:
http://sidders.paperbackswap.com

message 2: by Heather (new)

Heather (clowng33k) | 13 comments Ok I am trying to figure this site out....You can join for free but have to pay postage to ship the book?

message 3: by ♥Tricia♥, Group Lead (new)

Ya, its actually way cheaper then buying a book new.. IF you can find the books you want at the site :)

You can purchase credits, for example for like 10ish bucks you get 3 credits.
1 paper back = 1 credit.

So for 10 bucks you basically get 3 books!

If you have books you dont really care about keeping, you can post the books and get more credits that way.

You pay the shipping though, which is around 2.23 per book. (which is why you get credits for listing/shipping books to others)

I plan on going to a few book sales where the books are .50 - $2 bucks a pop and list those so I can get the books I want in return :D

It just takes some searching and patience, but it ends up cheaper in the long run :D

message 4: by Heather (new)

Heather (clowng33k) | 13 comments Hmmmm sounds interesting. I just bought 7 books from 1/2 Price Books and paid almost $28! Wow! I will definately consider it... Let me know how well it works! Thanks!

message 5: by new_user (last edited Feb 05, 2009 02:56PM) (new)

new_user I have an acct on PBS that I've never really used, LOL. I like to get my books at Half Price or the library sales around my area.

For those who don't know about it, I highly recommend www.booksalefinder.com. A GR friend recommended it to me, and it's been one of the most useful sites for me-- it informs you about about the library sales in your area, where you can get those $.50 books. :) I've found them especially nice for picking up historicals.

message 6: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (lifeasabooknerd) I checked out paperbackswap, but i prefer bookmooch.com!

message 8: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (lifeasabooknerd) I just signed up and used you as a referral Jamie. Hope that does something for you!

Jamie ~ Bad Boy Inspector (jamie_badboyinspector) Oh thank you so much Michelle. It gave me one free credit and I used it to get a book that just became available that I have been wanting!! Thank you!!

message 10: by Unapologetic_Bookaholic, Co-Lead (new)

Unapologetic_Bookaholic | 902 comments Mod
My acct is on hold for now but my PBS nickname is Daalmonette if you like to add me. A service PBS offers for about $8 a year is Box of Books (BOB). You pick as many books as you want and the other boxer does the same. The catch? No credits are needed. So hopefully if you pick 10 they will want 10. It is even less when you mail books by the pound.

message 11: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (lifeasabooknerd) You're welcome!

message 12: by Unapologetic_Bookaholic, Co-Lead (new)

bookmooch is good but I like paperbackswap's format alot better. they have more features i like. i have gotten several books from BM that I wouldn't have gotten from PBS so it is good to be listed on all the swap sites to can be =) but my main one is always PBS.

message 13: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (last edited Feb 11, 2009 09:34PM) (new)

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) I hate to part with books! lol However, since so many speak highly of it, (paperbackswap) I looked there (without signing up) and so far the books I'm looking for aren't listed.

message 14: by Unapologetic_Bookaholic, Co-Lead (new)

Alot of people don't list all their books so you may be able to get a book by WL'ing it and when someone posts it, it will go to you. I have over 400 books. There is no way I'd list all my books, lol. But I check my friends WL and if I have something they want I ask them if they want it.

message 15: by ♥Tricia♥, Group Lead (new)

Yeah I wish list stuff and then I get an email when something I want gets posted.

I did this for one of the BDB books and got it :D

Jamie ~ Bad Boy Inspector (jamie_badboyinspector) Me too I have got 3 books by wish list and I have lony been a member for a few weeks. Now I just need to go put some more books on my lists..lol.

message 17: by Unapologetic_Bookaholic, Co-Lead (new)

My WL is like 170 something. There is a recommendation section that is pretty neat too. PBS recommends books based on ur WL and u can recommend books you like to ur buddies.

message 18: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (dawnv) I just joined PBS like a week ago and so far I think I have mailed out four or five books and I have two coming to me. I really like it the only thing I suggest is to buy postage from them it is easier and you get credit faster.

message 19: by Unapologetic_Bookaholic, Co-Lead (new)

Dawn: What is your buddy name? I will buddy you =D or you can buddy me.

Daalmonette

I don't keep a lot of books on my shelf. But keep your WL updated. U never know what I might have stashed ;)

message 20: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (dawnv) Ok so this is bad but I think my name is eye-luv-2-read anywho I sent you a buddy invite.

I don't have a lot of books on my shelf either all the good ones got snatched up right away.

Jamie ~ Bad Boy Inspector (jamie_badboyinspector) Thanks for adding me as your Buddies ladies!! I don't have a lot on my shelf neither but alot of books left over from my Buffy obsession years ago. But when I am done reading I add the book to my shelf.

message 22: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (dawnv) Sure the sad thing is like a year ago I took a gang of books to the library for donation had I known about this I could have racked up LOL

message 23: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Wadsworth (jeniferj) I've been on PaperbackSwap for a bit over a year now and I LOVE it! I actually started it to get books for my grandmother, but it's exploded my own book collection. I've picked up a lot of new authors that I might not have otherwise because getting the book is so cheap--and if you don't like it, you can just swap it back. I'm bad about going to the library and buy a lot of books new, so feeling free to test out authors without spending a lot of money has been great.

I'm 'jeniferj' if anyone wants to friend me. I'll warn you, though; I'm a book hoarder! If I like a book, I usually keep it for a while. Most of the books listed on my site are mysteries -- my grandma was not a book keeper. :) Some of hubby's books are listed there, too.

Because of PBS, I didn't know if I really wanted to sign up with goodreads. You can organize your books on PBS, too. But PBS only lets friends see what you're swapping and what you're wishing. I like that goodreads lets you see what your friends have read and have on their list to read as well. :)

message 24: by Devon (new)

Devon (devons) | 3 comments I just joined and already have 3 requests to send books out! Can't wait to get books in return.

http://devons.paperbackswap.com

message 25: by Devon (last edited Mar 25, 2009 04:40PM) (new)

Devon (devons) | 3 comments Ok I'm overwhelmed now! I posted a bunch of books thinking it would be easy to part with them...but now that people are requesting them I am having second thoughts! How do you decide which books to swap and which to hang on to? I realize that I could always re-request them...but it just isn't the same.

message 26: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (dawnv) Oh no Devon, don't post the ones you even think you may want to reread. I am a big library person so I am used to reading a book and being like that was great but I doubt I will read it again those get posted right away - the ones that make me say ohh what a great story I think I really like that or if I find myself flipping though it even though I am done those stay. Don't feel like you have to give up all your books.

Hope that helps.

message 27: by new_user (new)

new_user Only post a few at a time or you'll get bombarded with requests. Choose the ones that you don't mind losing-- unless you have a lot of books that aren't in demand, in which case, your choices are narrowed down.

message 28: by Devon (new)

Devon (devons) | 3 comments Thanks for the tips :D

message 29: by Unapologetic_Bookaholic, Co-Lead (new)

Yeah. I have the same problem. I decided if I want to keep a series and re-read. If I have/haven't re-read it by the time I have collected the whole series then I can at least post the entire series. That way someone will probably request the whole series anyway. More points for me. Besides my collections will most likely be e-books. I don't have room for massive book collections but I love swapping so I don't want to give that up.

message 30: by Lady (new)

Lady (ladyvampire) | 1 comments I've been a member of Paperbackswap since 2005 and love it. Its a great place to get books you want and swap the ones you don't want. Plus you find a lot of nice people who enjoy the same kind of books you do. In fact I was recently asked to join Goodreads thru a wonderful friend from PBSwap. Thanks Kenjii.
I'd really like to have more friends on there and here so if you would like, please add me and don't be shy about writing either. I love talking books.

Member name: LadyVampire
http://ladyvampire.paperbackswap.com/...

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

I have been a member of PBS for about 6 months and love it especially the games forum. I have gotten alot of WL books by playing the games.

my name is KozmicAdventures
http://kozmicadventures.paperbackswap...

feel free to add me on either site

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm a member of paperbackswap as well, and for the most part I do enjoy it. The only problem I find is that a lot of the books I want have incredibly long wish-lists. More often than not, if I can't find a book on PBS I am able find it on bookmooch so sometimes I have just have a tendency to bypass PBS all together.

message 33: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Wadsworth (jeniferj) Rachael -- if you play the games, to which Tammy referred, you often bypass the "regulars" and can get the books you want sooner. As a "regular" myself, I'm not sure that's fair, but... :)

message 34: by [deleted user] (new)

The good thing is Jennifer you are more than welcome to play in the games as is anyone else who joins PBS .

message 35: by ♥Tricia♥, Group Lead (new)

I went to the link Tammy linked but I see no game..

Can someone explain what the game is since I am obviously missing it hehe

message 36: by [deleted user] (new)

http://www.paperbackswap.com/forum/in...

You'll find the games in here. They recently made the games members only but joining is free.

message 37: by ♥Tricia♥, Group Lead (new)

Hmmm if I am reading right, and I might not be.. you have to give a credit AND send a book.. just to get 1 book. Which = 2 potential books for me if I wait.

message 38: by [deleted user] (new)

I haven't ventured in the forum area in quite awhile but I don't really think that's quite fair.. but.. that's my problem, lol. I'm not really a big game person any way, I enjoy the fellowship of a website like Goodreads more than anything else and the few times I posted on PBS I just didn't feel very welcome. But, there's always a few bad apples now and then.

message 39: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Wadsworth (jeniferj) Tammy wrote: "The good thing is Jennifer you are more than welcome to play in the games as is anyone else who joins PBS .

"

Yeah, considered playing, but I like things simple. Games are not always so simple, and you end up with books you don't want. Besides, I don't have the time to commit to it. Not my cup of tea, I guess. I just think it is counterprodutive to the main purpose of PBS. But, ah well.. :)

message 40: by [deleted user] (new)

LOL, they can be time-consuming. I don't mind it in the winter when I can't out as much as I would like but now with warmer temps I want to be out and about.

They made some changes to their list recently letting you know when the book was last posted and how long a wait you have. YIKES some of the books I had on there hadnt been posted since 2007. Be easier to buy them.

I know what you mean about feeling welcome. I stick to the DOS chat room in the games forum. I know there I'll be made welcome

message 41: by Heather (new)

Heather (gargirl) | 6 comments I am on both Paperbackswap and Bookmooch and I love them both. I agree that PBS's format is easier to navigate. at PBS I am: http://gargirl.paperbackswap.com/prof...
feel free to add me to your buddy list if anyone wants to. ^_^ I love getting books for free. The only money I have to deal with is the postage when I mail my books out. Sweet deal.

Nichole (DirrtyH) (dirtyh) Hey guys - I know this is an old thread, but I just joined paperbackswap!

I friended a couple of you, but if you didn't post a link and only listed your profile name, I couldn't figure out how to add you!
Mine is http://delilah82.paperbackswap.com

I only have a few books up there, 'cause I really don't buy a lot of books, but I figure even if only get 3 or 4 books it's worth it. Even to get rid of the books that are cluttering up my room and knowing they're going to good homes would help. :)

message 43: by ♥Tricia♥, Group Lead (new)

Oh very cool! :D

I have alot of books on my list, mainly historical's and the such that I just am not into anymore.

message 44: by Sarah (new)

Sarah  | 276 comments I just joined last week, and I'm thrilled so far. I've finally moved about 17 graphic novels that have been mouldering on my shelves for 6 mos. Now they are going to good homes, and I'm gettin' me some goodies!

I'm sbcbooklover.

message 45: by Barbara ★ (new)

Barbara ★ I've been on PBS for 3-4 months now and love it. Like Tricia, I pick up $0.50 paperbacks to trade so I can get what I want. Though this is costing me a fortune in postage. I find myself trading more books than I should since even paying just for postage it adds up quick. Though I can't complain as I've gotten some books I've been looking for for years.

http://barbsis.paperbackswap.com

I checked out bookmooch and didn't like it at all. I couldn't really find anything I wanted. To each her own I guess.

message 46: by Unapologetic_Bookaholic, Co-Lead (new)

I will add u all ok? I am Daalmonette (Kenjii H.) in case u all are wondering.