Friends with Books discussion

Monthly Challenges > 2012 October Challenge

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Adriana (last edited Sep 30, 2012 01:34PM) (new)

Adriana We are going for a dark/horror theme in October!
All of the books picked is based on not only the theme but the cover. The cover must show us what type of book you are reading.

1)Vampire: Read a book with some bite to it or a gory amount of blood on it.

2)Death: Read a book about a murder mystery with a dead person on the cover.

3)Retelling: Read a book that retells a story with a main horror character in it (Dracula, Frankenstein, Headless Horseman, etc.) or a historical or classic book with a new monster in it (ex: Pride and Prejudice and Zombies)

4)Haunted House: Read a book with a spooky haunted house on the cover.

5)Werewolf: Read a book with a wolf howling at the moon or a beast of a human/wolf lurking in the shadows.

6)Witch: Read a historical fiction book with witches. You may want to read one based on the Salem witch trials. Make sure we know it's from an older era.

7)Ghosts: Read a book with a less than visible and alive person.

8)Mask: Read a book with a cover of someone hiding themselves with a mask. Masquerade or otherwise.

9)Goosebumps: Just because read a book with the scariest cover you can find that is a goosebumps book.

10)Classic: Read a classic horror book with the most well known characters in it.

11)Zombies: Read a book with characters who have less flesh than the regular human.

Bonus: Find a book with any horror characters (vampires, werewolves, ghosts, etc.) that do not qualify for the above reads that is a creative cover.

Remember that this challenge is based on the covers!
If you are having a hard time finding one let me know so I can try to help you out!

Retelling help: This Dark Endeavor (Frankenstein)
Daughters of Dracula (Dracula)
The Phantom Diaries (Phantom of the Opera)

Levels
Sane 1-2
Chilling 3-4
Grim 5-6
Unbalanced 7-8
Demented 9-10
Psychotic 11+

message 2: by Adriana (new)

Adriana Oh good! Glad you like it (:

message 3: by Adriana (new)

Adriana Levels I cam up with. Don't know if they make sense or are good:
Creepy, Chilling, Blood-curling, Psychotic.
I really doubt it...

message 4: by Adriana (last edited Sep 30, 2012 01:41PM) (new)

Adriana Not the greatest levels ever... hopefully I will think of something better the next time.

I already read one book early... but I am reading another ghost book right now so I will just count that. By the way the one I read early: Give Up the Ghost by Megan Crewe was amazing! For a random book I just picked up based on the cover and theme I'm truly impressed.

My Plan:
Ever (Ever, #1) by Jessa Russo This Dark Endeavor (The Apprenticeship of Victor Frankenstein, #1) by Kenneth Oppel Fat Vampire A Never Coming of Age Story by Adam Rex Vamped (Vamped, #1) by Lucienne Diver Born Wicked (The Cahill Witch Chronicles, #1) by Jessica Spotswood

Fat Vampire is for my bonus book.
I'm going to try to find this creepy book by R.L. Stine. I'll count it as a goosebumps book and not a mask book. I am sooo very terrified of this book and I have never had the guts to read it. It will be daylight when I'm reading it. Hopefully I can find it somewhere in my house....
The Haunted Mask (Goosebumps, #11) by R.L. Stine

So my reading will be Grim next month (:

message 5: by Adriana (new)

Adriana Great zombie book. I heard that ghost book was creepy. Like family relations... maybe I'm thinking something else.

I didn't know they already came out with the second croak book! Don't like the blue.

Hmm... I think you are just being nice about the level names which I don't mind (;

message 6: by Adriana (new)

Adriana Oh that's completely off from what I was thinking. That sounds pretty amazing for a gory read.

I finished: Ever (Ever, #1) by Jessa Russo
My ghost book was... different. More about a girl pining over a former best friend who's a ghost. She falls for the guy next door. A little too much kissing and not enough getting to know each other of you know what I mean but I love drama so there's that. Not scary I know... lol.

message 7: by Adriana (new)

Adriana Got my witch book down!
Born Wicked (The Cahill Witch Chronicles, #1) by Jessica Spotswood Amazingness! I recommend it to everyone :D

message 8: by Adriana (new)

Adriana Got my vamp book down!
Vamped (Vamped, #1) by Lucienne Diver
It was a fun read.

Couldn't find the mask ):

I ended up being Chilling this October.