The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group discussion

Report for Duty > Hello

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Poornima (new)

Poornima | 57 comments Hi all! Am Poornima, from Bangalore, India.. Happy to join this group, Mystery/thriller is my favorite genre of books.. So here I am to explore and read more! :)

Have finished reading Little Face by Sophie Hannah recently - wonderful plot and good mystery. Am now re-reading Sherlock Holmes-Long Stories (alongside other books)

message 2: by Donna, Co-Moderator (new)

Donna | 2178 comments Mod
Welcome Poornima. Very happy to have you here. We've had several new members from India recently.

As for recommendations, you'll find lots of interesting suggestions from our global members.

message 3: by Poornima (new)

Poornima | 57 comments Thank you, Donna.

message 4: by Hayes, Co-Moderator (new)

Hayes (hayes13) | 2060 comments Mod
Hi Poornima, welcome to the group.

message 5: by Bill (new)

Bill Welcome to the group, Poornima. I hope you find the discussions and book recommendations interesting.

message 6: by Mona (new)

Mona Garg (k1721m) | 70 comments Hi Poornima :) Mystery/Suspense/Thriller is my favorite genre too. I've always wanted to read Sophie Hannah's books. I read a couple good suspense/thrillers earlier this year:

Creep -- loved it!!! I recently won the sequel,
]Freak
The Sixes

Also, have you read any of Tarquin Hall books. I read only
The Case Of The Missing Servant but will read his other Vish Puri series soon. I also want to try Shamini Flint
Inspector Singh Investigates series.

message 7: by Demetrius (new)

Demetrius Sherman | 17 comments Hello, Hello,

message 8: by Poornima (new)

Poornima | 57 comments Mona wrote: "Hi Poornima :) Mystery/Suspense/Thriller is my favorite genre too. I've always wanted to read Sophie Hannah's books. I read a couple good suspense/thrillers earlier this year:

Creep -- loved it!!..."

Thanks for the add, Mona.  Have just read one Sophie Hannah, and was very taken in by the book.. Will be reading more of her for sure!  I am yet to try Tarquin Hall..will pick up sometime soon :) 

Don't know if you tried Never Look Away: A Thriller .. Was a good thriller too, though I thought the ending was too dramatic..but kept me completely hooked on.

look forward to exchanging notes/recommendations with you

message 9: by Poornima (new)

Poornima | 57 comments Hayes wrote: "Hi Poornima, welcome to the group."

Thanks Hayes

message 10: by Poornima (new)

Poornima | 57 comments Bill wrote: "Welcome to the group, Poornima. I hope you find the discussions and book recommendations interesting."

Thanks Bill.

message 11: by Demetrius (new)

Demetrius Sherman | 17 comments See that you are a Sherlock Holmes reader, Poornima. Welcome to the club.
I have read Doyle's short stories, and have written a modern short story version of Holmes on Amazon.
I had just finished writing about Holmes when I saw that you are a reader also.

message 12: by Poornima (new)

Poornima | 57 comments Demetrius wrote: "See that you are a Sherlock Holmes reader, Poornima. Welcome to the club.
I have read Doyle's short stories, and have written a modern short story version of Holmes on Amazon.
I had just finished w..."

Hi Demetrius, thank you. Am sure we cant get enough of Sherlock! :) Glad to be introduced to your book, will definitely try it soon. Good luck for it!

message 13: by Demetrius (new)

Demetrius Sherman | 17 comments Thanks, Poornima
I'll look for you on Sherlock discussion sites.
Here is a link to my short story if you want to give it a try

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0088DJ8DQ

The book you are now reading looks very suspenseful and good.

message 14: by Poornima (new)

Poornima | 57 comments Demetrius wrote: "Thanks, Poornima
I'll look for you on Sherlock discussion sites.
Here is a link to my short story if you want to give it a try

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0088DJ8DQ

The book you are now reading l..."

Thanks Demetrius, did look up your book, it looks interesting, will try it.
The long stories by Sir Conan Doyle are absolute classics!

message 15: by Demetrius (new)

Demetrius Sherman | 17 comments You mean, Poornimia (beautiful name by the way)
"The Hound of the Baskervilles?" and such?
Just a little scary can be fun

message 16: by Poornima (new)

Poornima | 57 comments Demetrius wrote: "You mean, Poornimia (beautiful name by the way)
"The Hound of the Baskervilles?" and such?
Just a little scary can be fun"

Oh yes, this includes "A Study in scarlet", "hound of baskervilles" , "sign of four" and "valley of fear"....

message 17: by Demetrius (new)

Demetrius Sherman | 17 comments Right. And some episodes of the new Sherlock TV series are great.
Do you think a pretty Asian Watson is a good idea for Elementary?

Oh, and Don't forget to let me know what you think of
my story!

message 18: by Poornima (last edited Sep 17, 2012 11:21AM) (new)

Poornima | 57 comments Demetrius wrote: "Right. And some episodes of the new Sherlock TV series are great.

my story!"

Absolutely loved the BBC version of Sherlock, totally brilliant! Ah, had read about potential US adaptation with lady Watson, am not thrilled about the experiment....
a) sherlock's equation with Watson and their camaraderie would be ruined by a 'lady Watson' b) and frankly wonder if any woman would put up being around Sherlock's eccentricities and his constant show of superiority c) also Watson being local/one of them is what let's him watch Sherlock's back
Sorry, this was a long reply?... What did you think of the Asian lady Watson idea? :)

message 19: by Poornima (new)

Poornima | 57 comments Demetrius wrote: "Right. And some episodes of the new Sherlock TV series are great.

my story!"

Of course will try and let you know :) am waiting for my kindle to be shipped in next week

message 20: by Demetrius (new)

Demetrius Sherman | 17 comments Just had to comment on your good point.
I had reasons for thinking a pretty Asian Watson was a bad idea, but you make a good point when you state that Watson is supposed to watch Sherlock's back.
In the stories, Watson carried a gun when things were far too dangerous.
Watson throwing Kung Fu would likely look silly and turn it into an action flick.