Language & Grammar discussion

Grammar Central > I have a problem!

Comments (showing 1-16 of 16) (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Ok, so my friend is absolutely TERRIBLE with grammar. Whenever she writes, she confuses "your" with "you're" and "then" with "than". I know it seems like I'm being a grammar Nazi but it drives me up the wall!

message 2: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 14471 comments Mod
It would drive me up the wall, too.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Very true. And I will do that.

message 4: by Carol (new)

Carol | 10102 comments Or you could invite your friend to join a reading or writing group such as this one. They will keep you on the correct path towards good writing skills, I know they have for me.

message 5: by Ken (new)

Ken | 17052 comments Mod
Why are you a "Grammar Nazi" if you value good English? Notice how the sloths brand and label you as a means of banding together and getting in you're (sic) face.

message 6: by Ken (new)

Ken | 17052 comments Mod
It happened in my 30s (the grayness, I mean). People console me with these meager words: "Look at the bright side. You could be bald!"

message 7: by Carol (last edited Sep 16, 2012 05:49AM) (new)

Carol | 10102 comments Better a Prince ,then the Joker

Or

Better a Prince, than the Joker.

In the first sentence he was a Prince who turned into a Joker.

In the second sentence he is a Prince instead of a Joker.

Of course we all know he is both. Duel persona.

message 8: by Anthony (last edited Sep 16, 2012 08:51AM) (new)

Anthony Buckley (Anthonydbuckley) | 113 comments London wrote: "Ok, so my friend is absolutely TERRIBLE with grammar. ..."

At the risk of seeming like I'm being (sic!)a grammar Nazi, can I recommend that you avoid starting sentences with "Ok, so. . . "

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

You're absolutely right, Anthony D. And many thanks to everyone else who answered!

message 10: by Anthony (new)

Anthony Buckley (Anthonydbuckley) | 113 comments London wrote: "You're absolutely right, Anthony D. . . . "
There's none of us perfect. Mea culpa: I missed off the question mark!

message 11: by Ken (new)

Ken | 17052 comments Mod
Bryan Garner calls OK "the most successful Americanism ever -- perhaps the best-known word on the planet."

He prefers the okay form because "it more easily lends itself to cognate forms such as okays, okayer, okaying, and okayed.... Some purists prefer OK simply because it's the original form."

There is some dispute as to its origin, but the one I like best is the Martin Van Buren story. MVB, our 8th president and a lousy one, was christened "Old Kinderhook" by his followers because he hailed from Kinderhook, NY.

"He's OK," they'd assure folks.

message 12: by Carol (new)

Carol | 10102 comments Ok is not acceptable for "words with friends". I tried to use it and it was a no go.

message 13: by Ken (new)

Ken | 17052 comments Mod
What is "words with friends"? Listen as I might, I've never heard of it.

message 14: by Carol (new)

Carol | 10102 comments You don't have a mobile device or you don't facebook. It is like scrabble. I don't know if you can play on a laptop or desktop. You invite friends to play .

message 15: by Ken (new)

Ken | 17052 comments Mod
Oh, I see. You hit my blind spot there. No mobile, no Facebook, no worries -- OK?

message 16: by Carol (new)

Carol | 10102 comments Here is the wikipedia link.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Words_Wi...