Chicks On Lit discussion

Group Read Book Discussions > Books and timing question

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dolly (new)

Dolly (dollya) I feel like I'm behind sometimes too...I try to read them starting at the beginning of the month we are to discuss them so they will be fresh in my mind. I join in the discussion once I'm done reading. Is that how you do Teri?

When the the books are picked for the months ahead, I look at our library and see if they have the book and if anyone has it on hold already. If so, I get myself on the hold listing so I can get it in time. It worked for this months. I finished reading the Heretic's Daughter and I have the next group read on my desk. I'm reading one other between the two.

message 2: by Tera, First Chick (new)

Tera | 2533 comments Mod
It's hard because some people have read the books before they are even nominated and others pick up the book when they can because librarys are hit and miss so some have read ahead.
I think both discussions right now are trying to not skip to the head with their discussions but it's hard. Do you think we should break discussions down to like the first half and second half discussions or maybe the read and reading discussions?

message 3: by KrisT (new)

KrisT | 553 comments I wondered that too. I tend to read the book the week before the discussions start. That way I have all month to discuss and it is fresh. I think it would be hard to break the month down into book sections because somethings transcend the section. I think doing the first discussion header like you did Tera, makes everyone know we are not discussing the end of the book the first week. Most of my questions so far are from the first chapter or two or just general so I think that is sort of working out. I think that in my case the author might or might not stick around the whole month so some might miss him if they don't come and post.
My only other thought is that too many limitations might discourage some readers. Reading ahead works for me because I average about 15-20 books a month in my reading. I plan for the ones I am going to discuss. If they are library books (most are) then I only have about 3 weeks to hang on to the book so that has to be figured in too. One week to read and two weeks to reference for the discussion. After that and more reading the thoughts start to fade in the old brain. Not sure what the answer is but this seems to work so far.

message 4: by Meg (new)

Meg (megvt) | 3069 comments Sometimes I am just too excited about the books and I have to read it. I still think school style that when we say a month it means the book should be read by the first of the month. I am trying to slow down, LOL!

message 5: by Maria (new)

Maria | 92 comments I'm a newish and infrequent poster, but I'm taking part in the War and Peace discussion. This question came up in the W&P group too for our weekly readings.

To me, since this is a discussion group , is seems that The Book for that month is the one that will be discussed that month starting from the 1st of the month. That would mean that we need to have read it by the 1st of the month. (or thereabouts)

Maybe if the book schedule for upcoming months was decided at least one month earlier - that would ensure chicks have enough time to read it before the discussion month.

I'm sure if everyone is on the same page - either way would be great.

Just my newbie two cents!
Maria

message 6: by Sheila , Supporting Chick (last edited Feb 25, 2009 03:32AM) (new)

Sheila  | 3485 comments Mod
For me personally, I'm just an obsessive type of person who wants to have the book read ahead of time, so I'm not worried about trying to keep up with a schedule during the month that book is discussed. Such as I finished The Heretic's Daughter in mid-January, and am now reading Edgar Sawtelle for the March discussion. But that is just me. I like to be done ahead of time.

message 7: by Holli (new)

Holli I do too Sheila. I always have the discussion book read before the time comes to talk about it.

message 8: by Tera, First Chick (new)

Tera | 2533 comments Mod
I am the same way although now with two books a month me and my library are going to have to come to some terms! I think i need to talk them into preference for frequent readers. A frequent readers card!
I do think unless there is a clear break in the book like part 1 2 or 3 then it would be hard to divide it up to talk about it.
Perhaps as we always remember to put *spoilers* on threads that will discuss further out and for those with a thought or question about the book that hasnt read it I would encourage them to start a thread about a specific point and just mention you are only half way through or 3 chapters in and for people NOT to spoil it but just talk on that point?

message 9: by Holli (new)

Holli I did that Teri with my discussion of The Wednesday Sisters....broke it down into chapters and then based my questions on those chapters. When I asked everyone if they liked it that way most everyone said they liked it better when the questions were just all given at one time or the questions were given 4 or 5 at a time but they could be from any part of a book.

Myself, I really like breaking it into chapters for every week of the month and then basing the questions off of those chapters only so there aren't any spoilers but I think you and I may be the only ones who think that's a good idea. LOL

message 10: by Dolly (new)

Dolly (dollya) Either way of doing the questions is good to me, but I agree with Tera about putting the *spoilers* thing. I don't look at that until I'm done with the book. I appreciate that, I don't like to know everything before the end. :)

message 11: by Lori (new)

Lori Walker | 617 comments I'm sitting out of the February discussion. But I plan on trying to finish Edgar Sawtelle and Jane Eyre by the beginning of March (at least finishing one of them! [note the "!" was to myself:]) so I can intelligibly discuss the books with the group. I'm a bad one to gauge things on because I am majoring in English so I have a ton of reading to do for class already, so reading for me and for book groups definitely comes after school work gets finished. But I'm hoping to figure out some way to keep up with you fast readers.

I agree that putting the *spoilers* warning would be good.

message 12: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 40 comments After hanging around here for a couple of months - I too have felt behind the game in the reading and discussions. I didn't get The Thirteenth Tale done until almost the end of January and by the time I finally read through the posts (the way the questions were posted was absolutely GREAT!), most of the discussions had almost finished. Now, I've figured out that I should start reading the selected book(s) before that month begins, so I can feel like a more active participant in the discussions! Since the books are chosen well ahead of time, I don't see this as a problem. While I plan on reading The Heretic's Daughter and Gargoyle someday, I'm skipping this month so that I can get going for March!

Bloomin’ChickJo (bloominchick) When I've lead discussions, I've broken down each week of the month for specific chapters and questions for those chapters, based on discussions that took place before mine did. I like that format actually! I think having the book read by the 1st of the month (and pretty much before everyone else has read it) defeats the purpose because then I just want to move on to the next book!

I wanted to get ahead for this month by reading The Heretic's Daughter because I'm going away for 4 days and I've been pretty busy for this 1st part of Feb as a result.

With everyone reading ahead so much as of late, I have been feeling rather behind and have felt a bit (self) pressured to plow through reading just to finish books which has completely defeated the purpose as to why I read in the 1st place! I love reading, it's not supposed to feel like a chore!

So, I'm backing off, reading what I want to when I want to and, unless there's a reason like this month (or I'm leading a discussion), I'll be reading each month's selection as that month progresses!

message 14: by Holli (new)

Holli Maybe we should have a vote on how we want the discussions to go?

message 15: by Lori (new)

Lori Walker | 617 comments That might be a good idea to put up a poll on the topic so people can pick to split up the book and the month, read the book before the month, read the book throughout the month, or indifferent. And maybe an option about letting the group leader decide what they want to do.

message 16: by LinBee (new)

LinBee Wow, I am so behind. I thought we read the February books in February. Wow, I have to catch up!

message 17: by Holli (new)

Holli Tera...I know we've talked about this before....what do you think about a poll for deciding how we do the book discussions? I'd like you to weigh in on this discussion because you know how best to handle this stuff! :)

message 18: by KrisT (new)

KrisT | 553 comments I just want to mention that I thought we read the book the month it was to be discussed to. However, the person who is putting up the discussion has to read the book before the month of discussion in order to discuss and have questions up so it just makes sense to me to read the book before the month of discussion so everyone can discuss together. Usually the discussion starts out strong then and as the month goes by the new members join in and it sort of gets revived again but the main discussion happens pretty quick.

The other thing is if you are reading a book that is from the library, many have a set time of check-out. Mine is 3 weeks. If you have the book on order from the library you might or might not get it in time to split it up in to sections or if you do have it you might not be able to hang on to it long enough to finish the reading section and then discuss it.
Just some of my 2 cents.

message 19: by Tera, First Chick (new)

Tera | 2533 comments Mod
I worry that dictating how someone leads may turn people off from doing them. Some books fit beautifully with breaking it down by chapters other books don't even have chapters. Some people read ahead, some people have read the book years ago and some people are currently reading the book. Asking the people who have read the book months ago to limit their discussion to a certain number of chapters might be hard too. We can put it up to a vote but consider both sides of that coin.
As far as when to read the book I tend to agree with KrisT, as a library user I am often limited to reading the books when I can, especially if it's a new release. If I see a book that is nominated at my library I pick it up regardless of if it's for this week or two months out because I don't want to risk not being able to read it when the discussion is going on. Then there are those that do books on CD and can be done with the months book in an afternoon or the fast readers that can wait until the month begins but are still done in two days.
My personal feeling is there should be no pressure when it comes to reading (unless it's the manual to my cell phone and I still cant figure the dumb thing out). Read when you can, how you can, and when you want to. I feel bad that Jo was feeling pressure to read fast but I am really proud that she recognized that and decided to do what is best for her. That is how it should be. Do what works for you. If you read fast, if you listen, if you've read it before or if you are reading it through the month don't worry. Those that lead the discussion are just glad that you are reading the book and for any comments and thoughts you have regardless of if you make them the first day or the last.
To those that lead the discussion let the book guide you. You've read the book you, you nominated it enjoy sharing and discussing it with those that are taking part. If you want or you feel like it's best to break it down then go for it. If you feel there are no distinct breaks or youre not sure how you would divide the discussion up no worries... do what works for you.
I would recommend to those that are reading the book and haven't yet finished but really want to discuss a certain point or topic without getting spoilers feel free to start a thread forum about your thought or question. Put spoilers on it if it might spoil it for someone else but I think it would awesome if more people started threads in the BOTM discussions. Discussion leaders are there to lead off the month it doesn't mean anyone is limited to the thoughts and questions they bring up. If you read up to the 3rd chapter and you are hating Bob Wagadoodle and wondering why in the heck he wears a blue suit every third friday then start a thread. *3rd Chapter Question* ____________________ If you are in the 8th chapter and you think that Mary Snoodlebottom reminds you of Scarlett OHara and you're wondering if anyone else noticed a similiarity but you havent finished it so you dont want to jump into the main discussion start a thread *Mary Snoodlebottome reminds me of .... * and see what comes of it. I imagine it will make the months books even more interesting and the discussions so much fuller and well rounded if people allow themselves the liberty to do those things.
However, if I'm talking out of my blow hole and you guys want a pole we can totally make one and get a chickcensus (i just make that word up its like concensus only with.. yeah you get it.) :)

message 20: by Holli (new)

Holli Well said Tera as I knew it would be!! You and I have discussed this once before and I was very satisfied with the answer you gave me so I'm glad you were able to share that with everyone. Thanks!

message 21: by Leslie (new)

Leslie Hickman (bkread2) | 229 comments I am one of those that gets it from the library...sometimes I read them while the discussion is active going on and other times not even close. However, do not dispear I read The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society several months after the group and people were still chatting about it. Yeah I may have had a bit disadvantage but I still was able to communicate with others quite well. Many are just like me and cannot always get the books right away. I am a member on one groups that the beginning of the month is for you to start reading not discussing and if you post before they get a bit testy to the point of evil attitude. But here there is nothing like that because we are all adults that have busy lives and just love to be able to communicate with others who simply just loves to read. So it doesn't matter if you read ahead or not. That is why this is my favorite group they are very forgiving and simply human!

message 22: by KrisT (new)

KrisT | 553 comments Teri, you crack me up!!

message 23: by Adrienne (new)

Adrienne (adriennemarietheresa) | 175 comments I'm looking at my lovely stack of books that just arrived by request, after a waiting period, from my local library and thinking between them *and* reading ahead that it might be a couple months before I'm able to jump into the discussions.

But how do you say no to writing inspiration, the new president, a newly-found fantasy author, super duper parenting advice and some silliness about someone - I don't know, maybe you've heard of her? - called the wicked witch of the west.

lol

message 24: by Marsha (new)

Marsha (earthmarsha) | 1586 comments Hey, Kalanna, who's the newly-found fantasy author?

message 25: by Adrienne (new)

Adrienne (adriennemarietheresa) | 175 comments That would be Brandon Sanderson, Marsha. He is at present writing the last book of the fantasy series The Wheel of Time, since it's original author Robert Jordan died before its completion. Having been a long time WoT fan, I picked up Brandon's first Mistborn book praying that he was worthy. And he is! Book Two of the Mistborn series is waiting on my coffee table.

message 26: by Marsha (new)

Marsha (earthmarsha) | 1586 comments Ah, I didn't know that someone was going to finish up the series. I lasted until the middle of the sixth WoT book, but by that time there were SOOOOOO many characters that I felt I didn't get enough time with the characters that I loved from the first book, and I lost interest.

I'll take a look at Mr. Sanderson. I could use a new fantasy series.