Anything Goes discussion

The Classics > Classics we hate

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Chris (new)

Chris Stanley (christinelstanley) | 922 comments Generally I enjoy reading the books that are considered "classics", however there are some I cannot fathom, and a few I detest for some reason.

Do you have a classic book you hate but everyone else loves?

message 2: by Chris (new)

Chris Stanley (christinelstanley) | 922 comments To me Wuthering Heights is really over rated. Characters with no redeemable features and a plot that is bonkers. I've tried several times and now accept this book is not for me.

message 3: by Richard (new)

Richard Crime & Punishment - great begining, saggy dull middle, morose ending. basically rubbish

1984 - way over lauded considering it is a re write of We by Zamyatam

Les Miserables - starts well and then becomes an endless series of digressions that i could not be bothered to finish

message 4: by Angela (new)

Angela (bookangel2) | 1454 comments I couldn't stand The Last of the Mohicans. The sentences were so long and convoluted that I had to keep re-reading them to make any sense of it. Gave up after about 100 pages.

message 5: by JackieB (last edited Sep 17, 2012 05:22AM) (new)

JackieB | 251 comments Chris wrote: "To me Wuthering Heights is really over rated. Characters with no redeemable features and a plot that is bonkers. I've tried several times and now accept this book is not for me."

I'm glad I'm not alone. I think Cathy and Heathcliffe could do with a good slapping (only I want someone else to deal with Heathcliffe, because I think he would want to hit back and he sounds like he'd make mincemeat of me. I could take on Cathy any day).

Oh yeah, I dislike 1984 too. I like the first sentence of that though. Pity about the rest of the sentences.

Don't even get me started on Anna Karenina. Let's just say War and Peace will not be going on my TBR list.

message 6: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrilovescrows) | 15 comments Madame Bovary - I detested her character.

message 7: by Shelli (new)

Shelli | 38 comments Chris wrote: "To me Wuthering Heights is really over rated. Characters with no redeemable features and a plot that is bonkers. I've tried several times and now accept this book is not for me."

I completely agree!

message 8: by Karen M (new)

Karen M Don't throw anything at me but I couldn't get through Don Quixote, it just seemed to drag.

message 9: by Aline (new)

Aline (aline1102) | 1 comments I read " Lolita " about two years ago and I just didn't like it. I think I will read it again one day, just to give it a chance...

message 10: by Sophie (new)

Sophie (sophie714) | 1 comments I have to agree with Terri - Madame Bovary was absolutely PAINFUL to read!!

message 11: by Chris (new)

Chris Stanley (christinelstanley) | 922 comments Aline, I know the subject matter is difficult to get past, but Lolita is beautifully written. If you use audio books, Jeremy Irons reads it so incredibly well, it might may it easier on you.
But then again, there are so many good books out there, I'm not going to try to convince you to invest time and effort on something that is not for you, we all have books that don't appeal.

message 12: by Ginny (new)

Ginny | 5 comments Shelli wrote: "Chris wrote: "To me Wuthering Heights is really over rated. Characters with no redeemable features and a plot that is bonkers. I've tried several times and now accept this book is not for me."

I c..."

Yes Wuthering Heights just gives me a pain. What was the point?

~☆~Autumn♥♥☔ | 0 comments Angela wrote: "I couldn't stand The Last of the Mohicans. The sentences were so long and convoluted that I had to keep re-reading them to make any sense of it. Gave up after about 100 pages."

So did I but the movie is fabulous with great music.

~☆~Autumn♥♥☔ | 0 comments Terri wrote: "Madame Bovary - I detested her character."

I liked her and felt sorry for her. She reminds me of several women I have known.

~☆~Autumn♥♥☔ | 0 comments In high school was I required to read Heart of Darkness and we had to analyze ad nauseum. It was like being tortured and I suffered so much that I still hate this book with a passion.

message 16: by Nita (new)

Nita  (goodreadscomnita) | 8 comments Mod
In high school, we had to read Heart of Darkness and Almayer's Folly, both by Joseph Conrad. I hated those books and have not read anything by Conrad since.

message 17: by Nita (new)

Ginny wrote: "Shelli wrote: "Chris wrote: "To me Wuthering Heights is really over rated. Characters with no redeemable features and a plot that is bonkers. I've tried several times and now accept this book is no..."

I agree!

message 18: by Nita (new)

I think Anna Karenina was the most boring book I have ever read. Page after page of boring tea parties, etc. And the cast of characters!
Too many of them, all with unpronouncable Russian names. I won't be reading War and Peace, either.

~☆~Autumn♥♥☔ | 0 comments Nita wrote: "In high school, we had to read Heart of Darkness and Almayer's Folly, both by Joseph Conrad. I hated those books and have not read anything by Conrad since."

I won't read anything by Conrad either. I am very glad I didn't have to read Almayer's Folly. Sorry you had to suffer that too! I tried to read Anna Karenina twice since it is a classic and was mentioned in The English Patient which is one of my favorite movies. When I get about 3/4 I just cannot endure his rambling for another page and quit - twice! I also cannot stand Russian novels and the only one I like is Doctor Zhivago because of the movie! It was required my senior year of high school and I am sure I was unable to finish it but I did skim.

A friend on a gardening list recommended The Eternal Husband to me and I was able to finish it because it is very short. Those Russians.....yuck!