What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Query abandoned by poster > ABANDONED. Alien utopia

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shane (new)

Shane I read this quite a while ago (8-10 years ago, or so), and it wasn't the newest book around then.

As I remember, the protagonist gets kidnapped by aliens (can't be sure that he was kidnapped, but it seems more likely) and taken to some far off alien utopian society that I don't remember any details about. IIRC, the space ships were egg-shaped...

One thing that stood out about this book was the author's insistence that it actually happened to him, and I was never quite sure whether or not he was sincere.

There wasn't any actiony combat (although the alien civilisation might have been involved in a war, and a battle might have been watched from afar at some point) - the protagonist made special note that it wasn't one of those stories (and I think he tied it in with the whole 'it's real' thing). The pacing of the story was pretty lethargic.

message 2: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Was it Slaughterhouse Five by Kurt Vonnegut?

message 3: by Shane (new)

Shane Definately not, I'm afraid.

message 4: by Shane (new)

Shane That sounds like it, though I can't be absolutely sure. Still looking for a complete plot synopsis to confirm.

message 5: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 1382 comments Aik, Please come back and post to let us know. Thanks!

message 6: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn (seeford) | 63 comments There was a movie called Fire in the Sky, based on the book of the same name by Travis Walton.

Fire in the Sky The Walton Experience

I haven't read the book, and I've only seen clips of the movie, so not sure if it fits, but it is 'memoir', and the author asserts it happened to him.

Here's the IMDB link to the movie: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0106912/

message 7: by Shane (new)

Shane Pretty sure it isn't that - Wiki's article on it is fairly comprehensive and mentions no zipping around the galaxy. I'm also turning against it being Communion, which sounds lower-key than the book I remember (although I still can't find a decent spoiler-ful plot synopsis).

message 8: by April Ann (last edited Feb 10, 2009 01:32PM) (new)

April Ann (bloomer) | 516 comments It doesn't sound like Communion to me. But you might want to look up Whitley Strieber's other books.

message 9: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37621 comments Mod
Aik left the group. Moving to Abandoned.