Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Author name changed due to import?

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Andy (new)

Andy | 136 comments Of the twelve editions of Tea with the Black Dragon, only this one is by Roberta A. MacAvoy; the others were by R.A. MacAvoy. This leads me to believe it was done by a data import? Is it safe to just change it back or will that have some sort of undesired effects?

Thanks!

How often are imports done? Were they just to help recover from the anti-Amazon thing, or are they ongoing?

message 2: by Beth (new)

Beth (bethjustbeth) | 1586 comments The cover and WorldCat both agree with R.A. MacAvoy...I'd change it back.

message 3: by Andy (new)

Andy | 136 comments Logically, no question. I just was worried about confusing the database. :-\

message 4: by Andy (new)

Andy | 136 comments I think I just found ANOTHER one. :-( Lens of the World

message 5: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 42415 comments Mod
Imports are ongoing. However, we have made a number of tweaks since February to prevent this sort of author name changing.

message 6: by Andy (new)

Andy | 136 comments rivka wrote: "Imports are ongoing. However, we have made a number of tweaks since February to prevent this sort of author name changing."

??? And it's safe to change back? :-D

message 7: by Beth (new)

Beth (bethjustbeth) | 1586 comments It's safe; it's what we live for.

message 8: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

It's also done. I just merged the profiles, which fixed all the affected editions at once.

message 9: by Andy (new)

Andy | 136 comments I'm sorry, Beth. I recognized the name and the avatar, but I didn't realize you were a super. On the plus side, I bet I remember next time. ;-)

message 10: by Andy (new)

Andy | 136 comments rivka wrote: "It's also done. I just merged the profiles, which fixed all the affected editions at once."

So that's why I couldn't find them... Showoff!

Thanks ladies!

message 11: by Beth (new)

Beth (bethjustbeth) | 1586 comments That just means I can get into more trouble than you can.

Now, see...rivka got all the fun.

message 12: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Beth wrote: "That just means I can get into more trouble than you can."

Phear nono

message 13: by Andy (last edited Sep 20, 2012 01:34PM) (new)

Andy | 136 comments rivka wrote: "It's also done. I just merged the profiles, which fixed all the affected editions at once."

Hi! It's me again...

This merge of profiles of which you speak... Is this a super thing?

I'm pretty sure that Robert Vardeman is actually Robert E. Vardeman in disguise. I already fixed and combined a couple books that I knew he'd written.

Thanks as always for your help.

message 14: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Andy wrote: "Is this a super thing?"

Nope. Any librarian can do it. See http://www.goodreads.com/help/show/19...

And I agree that the two Vardeman profiles should be merged.

message 15: by Andy (new)

Andy | 136 comments d'oh!

I was looking for something like the combine editions link. Live and (hopefully) learn. ;-)