Espionage Aficionados discussion

Classics > In need of Le Carre Advice

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mark (last edited Sep 14, 2012 04:31PM) (new)

Mark (hendersonhome) I have never read anything by John Le Carre. My library had these three books, and I don't know which one to read first. Please give me some guidance.
Absolute Friends by John le Carré Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy by John le Carré The Honourable Schoolboy by John le Carré
Thanks for your thoughts.

message 2: by Helen (new)

Helen (helenmarylesshankman) Tinker Tailor is the one to read first.
It's not just an espionage book, it's a work of great literature, with a shadowy, ambiguous plot, complicated characters, great slangy dialogue, precise prose that makes you ache. In Tinker Tailor, Le Carre creates an entirely believable secret world.

If you like it, read The Honorable Schoolboy next--it was the second in the Karla trilogy, followed by Smiley's People. Absolute Friends is a much more recent book.

message 3: by Mark (new)

Mark (hendersonhome) Thank you. Excellent perspective.

message 4: by Helen (new)

Helen (helenmarylesshankman) My pleasure! Enjoy!

message 5: by James (new)

James Piper | 1 comments Skip those for now. Find a copy of The Spy Who Came In From The Cold. Read it. A must read. Not just a spy story. Then in a couple of years read it again.

message 6: by Richard (new)

Richard (richard-snow) | 7 comments I'd recommend Perfect Friends and then get A Prefect Spy, even if you have to get it in from another library. le Carre's best books are all about the personalities.