Challenge: 50 Books discussion

Finish Line 2009! > Stacie's 50 of 2009

Comments Showing 1-50 of 55 (55 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (poppysmic30) | 97 comments Hi,
I’ve set the goal so let’s see if I can make this work. I’m off to a slow start but I’m reading 3 books right now that I’m about to finish.

So far this year I’ve finished reading:
1. The Late Bloomer’s Revolution by Amy Cohen

This book was interesting but fell a little flat at the end.

2. Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman

This wasn’t a book I would recommend

3. Twilight by Stephanie Meyer

I’m quickly got hooked on this story, something about it just draws you in. It’s nothing but a guilty pleasure.

message 2: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (poppysmic30) | 97 comments 4. The Girl with the Dragon Tatoo by Steig Larson

Good mystery with interesting characters and plot twists.

5. The Hindi-Bindi Club by Monica Pradhan

This book was amazing! The writing was beautiful and I loved the characters.

message 3: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (poppysmic30) | 97 comments 6. Letters to My Daughter by Maya Angelou

message 4: by Stacie (last edited Feb 25, 2009 02:58AM) (new)

Stacie (poppysmic30) | 97 comments 7. New Moon by Stephanie Meyer
This book is a pure guilty pleasure. Stayed up late one night and read the book in one sitting.

message 5: by Aprile (new)

Aprile (aprileb) LOL, yeah the Twilight series can do that to a person. Are you planning on reading the other two?

message 6: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (poppysmic30) | 97 comments Aprile wrote: "LOL, yeah the Twilight series can do that to a person. Are you planning on reading the other two?"

Definitely!! I haven't picked them up yet because I was afraid I wouldn't go to work 8) I'm getting them this weekend so I'm not expecting to sleep much.

message 7: by Aprile (new)

Aprile (aprileb) I can't wait to hear what you think of them!

message 8: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (poppysmic30) | 97 comments 8. Dead in Dallas by Charlaine Harris

message 9: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (poppysmic30) | 97 comments 9. Club Dead by Charlaine Harris

message 10: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (poppysmic30) | 97 comments 10. The Book of Unholy Mischief by Elle Newmark

This book was intriguing and reading about the food in this book was divine. At times you wanted to smack the main character though because he was so impatient when it came to his teacher mentoring him. Overall I enjoyed it.

message 11: by Mary Todd (new)

Mary Todd (marytodd) | 924 comments Tip of the topper to your first ten!

message 12: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (poppysmic30) | 97 comments Thanks Mary!!

message 13: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (poppysmic30) | 97 comments 11. Dead to the World by Charlaine Harris

message 14: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (poppysmic30) | 97 comments 12. Dead as a Doornail by Charlaine Harris

message 15: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (poppysmic30) | 97 comments 13. Definitely Dead by Charlaine Harris

message 16: by Mary Todd (new)

Mary Todd (marytodd) | 924 comments how fun to read all these at one time...I had to wait for the next one to come out!!

message 17: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (poppysmic30) | 97 comments 14. All Together Dead by Charlaine Harris
15. From Dead to Worse by Charlaine Harris

message 18: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (poppysmic30) | 97 comments Mary Todd wrote: "how fun to read all these at one time...I had to wait for the next one to come out!!"

I can't imagine having to wait for each one. I'm only waiting for #9 coming out May 5th and it's driving me insane!!

message 19: by Mary Todd (new)

Mary Todd (marytodd) | 924 comments whoohoo! May isn't so far!

message 20: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (poppysmic30) | 97 comments 16. Eclipse Stephenie Meyer

message 21: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (poppysmic30) | 97 comments 17. Breaking Dawn by Stephenie Meyer

message 22: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (poppysmic30) | 97 comments 18. The Unbearable Lightness of Being by Milan Kundera

This book was terrible and very depressing. I've heard people say that this book was an amazing love story but everyone in the book was involved in very unhealthy relationships.

message 23: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (poppysmic30) | 97 comments 19. The Cross Centered Life by C.J. Mahaney

This was a really good book. For anyone that enjoys reading books on faith, this is definitely one to pick up.

message 24: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (poppysmic30) | 97 comments 20. The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss

This was a wonderful fantasy book. This is just the first in a three part series. If you enjoy fantasy, give this one a try.

21. The Prodigal God by Timothy Keller

message 25: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (poppysmic30) | 97 comments 22. Note to Self: 30 Women on Hardship, Humiliation, Heartbreak, and Overcoming It All by Andrea Buchanan

This book was inspirational. It should be required reading for every woman. Definitely a wonderful gift for the women in your life.

message 26: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (poppysmic30) | 97 comments 23. The Shack by W.P. Young

message 27: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (poppysmic30) | 97 comments 24. Radical Womanhood by Carolyn McCulley

I loved this book!! It clearly explains how women are supposed to live according to scripture and covers some history on the various women's movements.

message 28: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (poppysmic30) | 97 comments 25. Happens Every Day by Isabel Gillies

True story about how quickly things can fall apart.

message 29: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (poppysmic30) | 97 comments 26. The Story of Edgar Sawtelle by David Wroblewski

I had to read this book for my book club and it was painful. I don't know what all the talk was about because I thought this book was terrible.

message 30: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (poppysmic30) | 97 comments 27. Humility by C.J. Mahaney

28. The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane by Katherine Howe

message 31: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (poppysmic30) | 97 comments 29. Gilead: A Novel by Marilynne Robinson

message 32: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (poppysmic30) | 97 comments 30. The Mortal Instruments Book One City of Bones by Cassandra Clare

This was a fun and easy book to read. I'm looking forward to the next 2 in the series.

message 33: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (poppysmic30) | 97 comments 31. The Strain (The Strain Trilogy, Book 1) by Guillermo Del Toro and Chuck Hogan

This book was REALLY good!! It was written well and a great story. I can't wait for the next two to come out.

message 34: by Stacie (last edited Aug 25, 2009 12:27PM) (new)

Stacie (poppysmic30) | 97 comments 32. American Wife by Curtis Sittenfeld

I enjoyed this book a lot. The author had wonderful dialogue between the characters.

message 35: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (poppysmic30) | 97 comments 33. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling

It's tough to write a good sequel let alone a 7 part series. I'm contiually amazed at Rowlings imagination and she did not disappoint on book 7. The ending of this book gave me goosebumps it was so good.

message 36: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (poppysmic30) | 97 comments 34. Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë

I found a new edition of this book that I had to have. So now I think I own about 6 copies of this book! I finished it in 2 days and I loved it as much as I did the first time I read it. Bronte's writing is magical and you feel so many emotions for the characters in this book.

message 37: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (poppysmic30) | 97 comments 35. Did I Kiss Marriage Goodbye?: Trusting God with a Hope Deferred by Carolyn McCulley

message 38: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (poppysmic30) | 97 comments 36. The Truth about Cheating: Why Men Stray and What You Can Do to Prevent It by M. Gary Neuman

message 39: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (poppysmic30) | 97 comments 37. City of Ashes (Mortal Instruments, #2) by Cassandra Clare

38. Dead and Gone (Sookie Stackhouse #9) by Charlaine Harris

message 40: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (poppysmic30) | 97 comments 39. Her Fearful Symmetry: A Novel by Audrey Niffenegger

I've been trying to figure out all day what I was going to say about this book. It was a haunting novel that left me feeling slightly uneasy. I couldn't seem to put it down but I'm left feeling unsure of how I feel about it. If you like ghost stories give this book a try. It's nothing like her first novel (Time Travelor's Wife!!) but just as original.

message 41: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (poppysmic30) | 97 comments 40. Boy Meets Girl: Say Hello to Courtship by Joshua Harris

message 42: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (poppysmic30) | 97 comments 41. Half the Sky: Turning Oppression into Opportunity for Women Worldwide by Nicholas D. Kristof, Sheryl WuDunn

message 43: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (poppysmic30) | 97 comments 42. Valley of the Dolls by Jacqueline Susann

Completely engrossing, interesting characters and story line. I read the book quickly and didn't want to put it down.

message 44: by Antoinette (new)

Antoinette (antiem80) Stacie wrote: "42. Valley of the Dolls by Jacqueline Susann

Completely engrossing, interesting characters and story line. I read the book quickly and didn't want to put it down."

I loved this book... So deliciously melodramatic!

message 45: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (poppysmic30) | 97 comments 43. Miracle on 34th Street: by Valentine Davies

This is the only time I can say that the movie is better than the book.

message 46: by Antoinette (new)

Antoinette (antiem80) Stacie wrote: "43. Miracle on 34th Street: by Valentine Davies

"

I've never read Miracle on 34th Street but I feel that way about The Devil Wears Prada and In Her Shoes.

message 47: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (poppysmic30) | 97 comments Antoinette wrote: "Stacie wrote: "43. Miracle on 34th Street: by Valentine Davies

"

I've never read Miracle on 34th Street but I feel tha..."

I wanted to read The Devil Wears Prada..but if the movie is better I may move the book to the bottom of my to read pile.

message 48: by Antoinette (last edited Dec 11, 2009 07:01AM) (new)

Antoinette (antiem80) Stacie wrote: "Antoinette wrote: "Stacie wrote: "43. Miracle on 34th Street: by Valentine Davies

"

I've never read Miracle on 34th St..."

Laura Weisberger... Cannot write. I read the book while working for a NY ad agency for a woman much like Miranda Priestly (except my Devil boss wore Armani). I really WANTED to like the book. But seriously, it was awful writing. Here's a review of The Devil Wears Prada I wrote when it first came out: http://www.amazon.com/review/RCPDURX2...

I'm usually a purist when it comes to book/movie adaptations (hate the Harry Potter and Twilight movies - all pale in comparison to their books) but this was definitely a case of the movie being better than the book. Also, from the looks of the previews I don't think I'll be seeing The Lovely Bones.

message 49: by Sheila (new)

Sheila (sheilaglenn) | 568 comments Another movie that I feel is better than the book is the 2006 remake of The Painted Veil. The movie that starred and was produced by Edward Norton and Naomi Watts is about a socially inept bacteriologist Dr. Walter Fain (Norton) and underacheiver callow party girl Kitty Fain (Watts) who marry and go to China because of his work. Each frame in the movie is an exquisite frame of the Chinese landscapes alternating with interiors that reflect the challenges of helping people to overcome the ravages of a cholera epidemic.
The movie alters the ending and I usually don't like it when the intent of the author is changed. However in this case there is a better resolution in the development of the wife's character. There are also splendid performances by Toby Jones, Liev Schreiber, and Diana Rigg.
Maugham wrote what he knew best- social climbing women that were very destructive in there quest for power (Razor's Edge). Kitty Fain was weaker in the book than in the movie and it left me with an empty feeling.
In the movie's case I feel the alternate ending was more fulfilling.
There are many reasons that a screenplay may alter a book. They are very different mediums. It is like comparing apples to oranges.

i>Stacie wrote: "43. Miracle on 34th Street: by Valentine Davies

"

message 50: by Antoinette (new)

Antoinette (antiem80) Sheila wrote: "Another movie that I feel is better than the book is the 2006 remake of The Painted Veil. The movie that starred and was produced by Edward Norton and Naomi Watts is about a socially inept bacterio..."

I saw The Painted Veil and loved it! I haven't read the book yet but will have to and see how they compare.

« previous 1