Barnes & Noble Nook discussion

Comments (showing 1-14 of 14) (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Madilynn (new)

Madilynn How do you make it sothat you nook books are epub?

message 2: by willaful, dedicated nookworm (new)

willaful | 414 comments Mod
♥Madilynn♥ wrote: "How do you make it sothat you nook books are epub?"

I'm not quite sure what you're asking. If you want to convert DRM-free books from a different format to epub, you can use the free program calibre.

message 3: by Madilynn (new)

Madilynn The ones I boyght from b & n

message 4: by willaful, dedicated nookworm (last edited Sep 14, 2012 07:50PM) (new)

Most of the books you buy from B&N are already in the epub format. Is there something specific you want to do?

message 5: by Madilynn (new)

Madilynn I want to share the ones that aren't lend me.

message 6: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (Sleo) ♥Madilynn♥ wrote: "I want to share the ones that aren't lend me."

That's illegal. They make the files so that they can't be shared on purpose. I don't think it's fair, but there you are. It's illegal to share files that don't have permission because of copyright laws.

message 7: by Tiphanie (new)

Tiphanie (tiphanierichelle) Your Nook books are already in ePub form. You just have to get the file off your Nook by plugging it into your computer. Then you can share the file. Many books are DRM protected which will not allow another person to open the file. In this case you would have to strip the DRM using Calibre. This gets complicated for beginners. There is also a site where you can dl tons of books and all those files you can share. TUEBL.com

message 8: by willaful, dedicated nookworm (new)

Tiphanie wrote: "Your Nook books are already in ePub form. You just have to get the file off your Nook by plugging it into your computer. "

Just FYI, that doesn't work with every Nook. I can't access my Nook books via the computer with my Simple Touch. (Or ADE) I have to actually download the file to my computer from B&N.

message 9: by Jean (new)

Jean French (jfrench55) | 82 comments willaful wrote: "Tiphanie wrote: "Your Nook books are already in ePub form. You just have to get the file off your Nook by plugging it into your computer. "

Just FYI, that doesn't work with every Nook. I can't acc..."

That's odd. I'm wondering if it's something you're missing. I have a ST Glo with a windows computer and my daughter has a ST with a Mac and neither of us has a problem.

There is a great program called Calibre which will help you manage your ebooks. It's great because it knows what type of files your device uses and will convert them for you. You can download it at: http://calibre-ebook.com/. It's free but asks for a goodwill donation.

If you want to do it manually I can only tell you how to access the Nook with a Windows computer. When you plug the Nook into your USB port on your computer, a dialog box should show up that says "Autoplay Nook:" and then a letter. Then select "open folder to view files." You may need to scroll down to see it. If it doesn't, then click on the start or windows button on the bottom left of the screen. Then click on computer. You should see the Nook listed there.

You may want to give the computer a minute or so to recognize the Nook. If plugging it in doesn't at least charge your Nook then you may want to try a different port. If you still have trouble, I'd be happy to help you. You can email me at jfrench55@rcn.com.

message 10: by willaful, dedicated nookworm (new)

What folder do you find your B&N books in on the Nook ST? I've rechecked the "books" folder in "my files" but it only contains books I sideloaded. I also use a Mac.

I never thought this might be weird, because my B&N screensavers have never been accessible on either the classic or the touch (other than ones I sideloaded) so it seemed standard B&N procedure.

message 11: by Jean (new)

Jean French (jfrench55) | 82 comments The books I've sideloaded are in the Library under Books or All. I've never loaded any screensavers so I don't know about that part. You can always use the search feature. There has been times where I expected to see a book on the first page of the library when I've selected to sort by Most Recent but it was several pages down. I try to make a habit of sorting the books to shelves when I sideloaded them. That way I'm not going crazy looking for them.

message 12: by willaful, dedicated nookworm (new)

Jean, we're talking about two different things. What I meant was, when I plug my Nook into my computer and look into its folders, I don't find any of my Nook books, only the books I've sideloaded. That's why I need to download them from B&N if I want to add them to Calibre.

message 13: by willaful, dedicated nookworm (last edited Sep 17, 2012 01:38PM) (new)

This is what it says at the B&N bookclub, referring to the simple touch:

"The reason you can't see the file for the sample, is because the BN books are stored in a separate, hidden partition. "

That gibes with my experience.

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Mine, too.