UK Amazon Kindle Forum discussion

Agony Aunt > o2 is the devil.

Comments Showing 1-48 of 48 (48 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Elle (last edited Sep 14, 2012 04:31AM) (new)

Elle (louiselesley) | 7913 comments Let me start by pointing out that I'm shaking right now with serious anger/emotion so this might be a bit of a mess of a post but I always know you guys shower me with happiness and I need it.

Secondly Elle is stupid. Lets just get that out of the way.

Last year I sold my iPhone and contract to someone. They took over my entire account in everything but name, so legally it was still mine. I understood this and made sure I was clear on the phone that my details where backed up so I could ALWAYS could be contacted in the case that THIS might happen.

THIS? Oh yes, the letter 10MONTHS AFTER the account got cancelled to inform me I owe them a ton of money - may I point that this is sent my a debt agency and NOT BY O2.

The point of this is that I want to know if I have a leg to stand on in the fact that o2 should of got in touch with me the moment the account was cancelled and not left it up to a debt agency to have a tiny bit of common sense and actually track me down. THEY HAD MY DETAILS.

I'm so pissed off. If they would of gotten in touch with me I would of taken the contract back, plain and simple. It isn't a case of I would of just paid the money and stuff. I'm so freaking pissed off.

I now have to find a way to pay back a freaking entire contract.

The guy I sold it too was a friend of a friend. I trusted my own friend when he said the guy genuinely wanted an iPhone and he was going to be buying one anyway hence I even let it happen in the first place. I have contacted them both. My friend got back to me ASAP saying he had seen him using it the last time he saw him and was confused but promised to go round to his house later.

The point is legally it's mine but I am pretty pissed off and seriously don't want to pay it because it's NOT MY FAULT IT'S SO HIGH. I would of happily paid the leftover bill and got the contract again and just slapped myself for being so stupid but nope, now I have a HUGE bill (seriously. it's beyond anything I can even hope to pay right now)

message 2: by Kath (last edited Sep 14, 2012 04:36AM) (new)

Kath | 1965 comments oh shit hun that's seriously pants
i am not good with legal stuff, but maybe (when u are a little calmer and i dont mean that to sound patronising) compile as much info as you possibly can and take it to the CAB for their advice... unless people come after me who know better and think that's a bad idea...

and here are shedloads of huggles for you
(((((((elle)))))))

message 3: by Elle (last edited Sep 14, 2012 04:44AM) (new)

Elle (louiselesley) | 7913 comments thanks kath. that's a good idea, thank you! the thing is i have barely any information.

o2 won't even talk to me because there is nothing but my name on the account so i can't verify who the hell i am. im waiting to chat to someone online from 02 to get details how to make a complaint.

i am going to say i will happily pay the leftover balance to when it was cancelled but nothing after that. they clearly dont care about customers enough if it takes them 9months with no answer and they do nothing.

message 4: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25096 comments Oh heck chuck. Kath's advice was sound (you can always trust a Kath!). Get unbiased advice as soon as you can.

message 5: by Jud (new)

Jud (judibud) | 18544 comments That's worse than rubbish Elle :o(

Big hugs

(((((((((((((((((((((O))))))))))))))))))))))))

message 6: by Rosen (new)

Rosen Trevithick (rosentrevithick) | 2273 comments I'm a CAB adviser and although I'm not allowed to advise 'on the fly', this is just the sort of enquiry that we're trained to deal with. If you go into your local branch they will be able to help you think of practical solutions to the problem as well as confirming your legal standing.

message 7: by Kath (new)

Kath | 1965 comments happy to help, i have only used the CAB once but i have pointed other people with this sort of problem in their direction and they have found them just as helpful as i did.
i hope you manage to sort it out quickly and with as little more pain as possible...
xxx

message 8: by Elle (new)

Elle (louiselesley) | 7913 comments I'm currently talking to a complaints advisor online but I have checked into CAB too.

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Oh Peanut, I'm so sorry you're having to go through this.

Rosen, seeing your post made me breathe a small sigh of relief on Elle's behalf.

This truly sux but once again, our group rocks!

Elle, keep us in the loop. You know we are all here to help in any possible way.

Huge hug!

Ps, I don't think you're at all stupid. I can see myself doing the same sort of thing. It's all about thinking the best of people. I hope that you weren't wrong and this is all just a misunderstanding.

message 10: by Elle (last edited Sep 14, 2012 06:03AM) (new)

Elle (louiselesley) | 7913 comments I have emailed the complaints now but they take up to 14 days to reply.

The guy on chat was actually very helpful. He said it was likely I would have to pay at least something but under the circumstances they were in the wrong. Letting it go on so long without even a tiny bit of research into the original address.

He even said they had my HOUSE NUMBER but didn't bother calling. Like actually WTF?!

And I certainly feel stupid. I always see the best in people. But in fairness to myself I know this and I had said to my parents bout it and they both said it sounded okay.

message 11: by Kath (new)

Kath | 1965 comments i am sure you are doing this already it's a good idea to keep a log of who you talk to and when and what was said.

message 12: by Elle (last edited Sep 14, 2012 06:20AM) (new)

Elle (louiselesley) | 7913 comments yeah i've wrote it down, thanks kath :)

i wish i would of taken more details from the girl that helped last year. she was so nice and adamant that i'd be contacted if anything went wrong. hopefully o2 have those details.

ive calmed down now. someone i haven't spoken to in a long time on twitter just sent me amnesty international website and it was like this slap in the face of how trivial this is in the world. i mean it's money and it sucks but i'm healthy and i have the most amazing people and opportunities in my life. i should smile more. (im not sure that is possible but yes.)

message 13: by Rosen (last edited Sep 14, 2012 06:40AM) (new)

Rosen Trevithick (rosentrevithick) | 2273 comments It can be comforting to put our problems in perspective by comparing them to wider global issues, but our individual stresses are valid too.

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Hear, hear Rosen.

message 15: by Kath (new)

Kath | 1965 comments seconds that hear hear Rosen & Patti...

message 16: by Elle (new)

Elle (louiselesley) | 7913 comments very true guys :)

it's also very logical in my brain not to worry about something i can't control. i'm lucky to have parents who love and support me who are able to fork out money like this to help me if i can't do it myself. i wouldn't expect it or ask for it but i know i have a fall back if worst comes to worst.

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments That's a true blessing peanut.

message 18: by Jud (last edited Sep 14, 2012 06:59AM) (new)

Jud (judibud) | 18544 comments This is like something I would do Elle and I'd be shocked when it went wrong as well. Gareth is so good about stuff like this, he thinks through all possible outcomes before agreeing to anything and then protects himself against anything going wrong. I tend to jump in with both feet and trust it'll all work out, turns out a lot of people can't be trusted especially when it comes to money.

Bank of mum and dad is handy when situations like this arise if it gets severe enough that you need to, better than taking out a proper loan (If you are lucky enough that you can).

message 19: by Elle (new)

Elle (louiselesley) | 7913 comments See I'm angry that I was expecting this in a way.

I have a great 'gut instinct' about things and from the day I done it, it always played at the back of my mind. It was like I was waiting on it to happen.

Geoff (G. Robbins) (merda constat variat altitudo) (snibborg) | 9052 comments Sorry to hear your trouble Elle.

Thought you might like to know that the CEO is Ronan Dunne, his email address is Ronan.dunne@O2.com. You never know when these things come in handy ;).

Hope you get it sorted soon. And don't forget we're here for you.

message 21: by Elle (new)

Elle (louiselesley) | 7913 comments thank you very much Geoff! I've sent an email off to him too!

message 22: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25096 comments Geoff is the White Knight of CEO bothering!

message 23: by Elle (last edited Sep 14, 2012 08:43AM) (new)

Elle (louiselesley) | 7913 comments He really is, ha.

Everyone I have spoke to, including a friend who works for Vodafone are pretty disgusted that O2 didn't even bother to look into their records enough to find my details and contact me, even if they thought I'd moved or something - surely they'd contact the address first on the account as a back up?!

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

Sorry to hear about this Elle but encouraging to hear all the great advice from group members!

*hugs*

message 25: by Elle (new)

Elle (louiselesley) | 7913 comments I got a reply back from someone in Ronans office saying they will be in contact within 5 days - much better than the 14 days by the actual complaints office.

Geoff (G. Robbins) (merda constat variat altitudo) (snibborg) | 9052 comments That's good to hear Elle, we don't want to get all Kindle on his ass - yet.

message 27: by Emma (last edited Sep 15, 2012 01:37AM) (new)

Emma (emzibah) | 4396 comments Hey Elle, I am only just catching up with the group and seen this thread. Sorry you are having to go through all this. Hope it gets sorted really soon and, as always, massive hugs from me ((((0)))) xxx

message 28: by Philip (sarah) (last edited Sep 15, 2012 07:29AM) (new)

Philip (sarah) Willis | 5174 comments Can't add anything to the advice given already Elle.
Have another hug!

message 29: by Katy (new)

Katy | 3414 comments I've only just seen this, sorry Elle! It sucks that you're going through this, but it sounds like you're making progress! One of the reasons I love this group (: Also, I agree with Geoff - We'll Kindle his ass if need be! x

message 30: by Grace (new)

Grace Elliot (httpwwwgoodreadscomgraceelliot) | 147 comments Hope it all works out. Having things running beyond control is so frustrating.

message 31: by Anita (new)

Anita | 3758 comments Only just seen this Elle, I am so sorry honey, please don't think you are stupid. Because you trusted a friend, you are NOT !!! We have all been in a situation like this at one time or other. I am so glad you have good parents, it takes some of the worry out of the situation doesn't it.
I can't help with advice sweetie but I can send lots of extra big hugs. And If I can help at all then you know where to find me.

message 32: by Elle (new)

Elle (louiselesley) | 7913 comments they haven't gotten back to me which is a total pain in ass actually!

message 33: by Jud (new)

Jud (judibud) | 18544 comments I second what Anita says!

Keep us updated on this Elle when you do hear

Geoff (G. Robbins) (merda constat variat altitudo) (snibborg) | 9052 comments Time for a timely reminder to them Elle.

message 35: by Elle (new)

Elle (louiselesley) | 7913 comments I got my answer today and it was exactly what I didn't want. They weren't helpful at all and said it was pretty much out of their hands.

I'm gonna leave it til I feel better tomorrow and try work something out with the credit people.

I would argue more but that email I just got seemed pretty final.

:(

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Hmmm.

I suggest forwarding it to Geoff.

message 37: by Anita (new)

Anita | 3758 comments Don't give up Elle, stand your ground. Take some advice, I bet Geoff can help you. I know it's easy to give in when you don't feel well but that's how a lot of these company's get away with things. I wish I could give you some practical advice but I cant. All I can say is don't give up and we are all behind you.

I hope yesterday went well with your family. Hope you feel better soon sweetie.

message 38: by Geoff (G. Robbins) (merda constat variat altitudo) (last edited Sep 24, 2012 10:49AM) (new)

Geoff (G. Robbins) (merda constat variat altitudo) (snibborg) | 9052 comments I would suggest that you email the CEO back and point out to him that this is no acceptable, as O2 did not give any notification that the account had been cancelled for months and therefore you were not given the opportunity to deal with this in a reasonable manner. In effect, although you were partly to blame for the situation, it was exacerbated by their negligence.

It's not final until you decide it is, Elle.

message 39: by Anita (new)

Anita | 3758 comments There told you Geoff would help.
You are a treasure Geoff !

message 40: by Elle (new)

Elle (louiselesley) | 7913 comments thanks geoff :)

okay then the fight continues. i'll email again tomorrow as although i just had a 3hr nap (!!) my brain is still fried!

Simon (Highwayman) (highwayman) | 4698 comments It's worth a try but to be honest I think this will be a tough one to win. Contracts are not transferable and they might hold out rather than set a precedent.....

Geoff (G. Robbins) (merda constat variat altitudo) (snibborg) | 9052 comments I agree Simon, but they also have a duty of care to provide you with information in a timely manner. Which is why I recommend that Elle take a "gesture of good will" stance.

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Geoff (G. Robbins) (The noisy passionfruit) wrote: "I agree Simon, but they also have a duty of care to provide you with information in a timely manner. Which is why I recommend that Elle take a "gesture of good will" stance."

Which I don't think is unreasonable as it was inferred earlier.

And we know Peanut has retained all correspondence.

message 44: by Elle (new)

Elle (louiselesley) | 7913 comments If this would of been brought up to me within a month of it actually being cancelled I don't think I would of been half as pissed off.

message 45: by Elle (new)

Elle (louiselesley) | 7913 comments i've sent a reply back.

i re-read the email he sent yesterday and he didn't address any of the concerns I had really over the fact it took them a YEAR and they promised to get in touch if it wasn't paid. He also mentioned that I would of paid it anyway if they contacted me any sooner even though I clearly stated in the original email that I would of paid the missed months and took the contract back and used it again.

message 46: by Elle (new)

Elle (louiselesley) | 7913 comments Little update.

I haven't gave in yet. I have an appointment with the CAB and hopefully they can help.

message 47: by Jud (new)

Jud (judibud) | 18544 comments I'd forgotten about this. GO you Elle!

message 48: by Elle (new)

Elle (louiselesley) | 7913 comments The household has also changed over to Orange as has a few family members in disgust