The Sword and Laser discussion

Foundation (Foundation #1)
This topic is about Foundation
2012 Reads > FOUND: Wikipedia and the hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy

Comments (showing 1-17 of 17) (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

J. Alberto (Dhiok) | 71 comments I must say... I'm enjoying this book in all it's science-fiction goodness. Two different rubber balls keep bouncing in my head.

The funny one: I keep thinking that all the efforts from Dr. Seldon will be shadowed by the success of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy when Encyclopedia Galatica gets published.

The srious one: I wonder if Wikipedia will eventually serve as a Noah's Ark of knowledge or if it will implode due to it´s dependency of men.

Any thoughts?

Thurman (nycblkboy) | 145 comments Jesús wrote: "I must say... I'm enjoying this book in all it's science-fiction goodness. Two different rubber balls keep bouncing in my head.

The funny one: I keep thinking that all the efforts from Dr. Seldon ..."

Did you finish the foundation book yet??

(view spoiler)

Alterjess | 319 comments I keep thinking that all the efforts from Dr. Seldon will be shadowed by the success of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy when Encyclopedia Galatica gets published.

There's a reason I have Don't Panic written in large friendly letters on the back of my iPhone.

terpkristin | 3636 comments Alterjess wrote: "There's a reason I have Don't Panic written in large friendly letters on the back of my iPhone."

Which case is that? There's a "cross-stitch yourself" type case that I want to get to make something nerdy, but I don't like how "high profile" it is...the one on my current iPhone leaves the top and bottom pretty unencumbered so that I can use whatever dock/connector/headphones... (http://www.zagg.com/ifrogz/cases/appl...)

J. Alberto (Dhiok) | 71 comments Thurman wrote: "Jesús wrote: "I must say... I'm enjoying this book in all it's science-fiction goodness. Two different rubber balls keep bouncing in my head.

The funny one: I keep thinking that all the efforts fr..."

I finished just about an hour ago... I didn't see that coming :D Loved the twist.

message 6: by Alterjess (last edited Sep 14, 2012 05:29PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Alterjess | 319 comments Which case is that?

I couldn't find one online, so I made it in Photoshop and had it printed by Gelaskins.

J. Alberto (Dhiok) | 71 comments Alterjess wrote: "Which case is that?

I couldn't find one online, so I made it in Photoshop and had it printed by Gelaskins."

Nice. My stupid phone just says "Verizon".

J. Alberto (Dhiok) | 71 comments Thurman wrote: "Jesús wrote: "I must say... I'm enjoying this book in all it's science-fiction goodness. Two different rubber balls keep bouncing in my head.

The funny one: I keep thinking that all the efforts fr..."

Thurman, now that I come to think about it... they did continued the compilation of Encyclopedia Galactica as indicated by the excerpts at the beginning of each chapter. Ha, gotcha!

Thurman (nycblkboy) | 145 comments Jesús wrote: "The funny one: I keep thinking that about it... they did continued the compilation of Encyclopedia Galactica as indicated by the excerpts at the beginning of each chapter. Ha, gotcha! "

Damn you got me man :)They did continue even thought didn't need to. I wonder if they shared it with the rest of the universe.

J. Alberto (Dhiok) | 71 comments I'd suppose that, if they continue with an Imperialistic mindset, they would share after conquer or conquered.

Rasnac | 336 comments Jesús wrote: "The srious one: I wonder if Wikipedia will eventually serve as a Noah's Ark of knowledge...

Now, that is a scary thought...

message 12: by Rob, Roberator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rob (robzak) | 5137 comments Mod
Rasnac wrote: "Jesús wrote: "The srious one: I wonder if Wikipedia will eventually serve as a Noah's Ark of knowledge...

Now, that is a scary thought..."

What, you don't think it's important for the future to know how in 2006 the population of elephants in Africa tripled thanks to Stephen Colbert?

Thurman (nycblkboy) | 145 comments Jesús wrote: "I'd suppose that, if they continue with an Imperialistic mindset, they would share after conquer or conquered."

Maybe maybe not. Most of the people the conquer don't anything about science. They have used traders, religions and other things to conquer worlds. I doubt they will give and society the information to maybe one day get smart and lead.

J. Alberto (Dhiok) | 71 comments Thurman wrote: "Jesús wrote: "I'd suppose that, if they continue with an Imperialistic mindset, they would share after conquer or conquered."

Maybe maybe not. Most of the people the conquer don't anything about s..."

That's kind of what I meant by imperialistic mindset.

J. Alberto (Dhiok) | 71 comments Rasnac wrote: "Jesús wrote: "The srious one: I wonder if Wikipedia will eventually serve as a Noah's Ark of knowledge...

Now, that is a scary thought..."

Opposed to total obliteration of all knowledge, it doesn't sound so bad. Think of it as the old beer recipe found on Egyptian hieroglyphs: I bet it's no Tecate, but the principle is there.

OMG... EVERYBODY: START CATALOGING ALL YOUR BEER RECIPES PLEASE!!!

Chris Lim (clim) | 4 comments Maybe its not such a bad idea after all. History as we know it is disappearing as we speak.

http://www.technologyreview.com/view/...

J. Alberto (Dhiok) | 71 comments Chris wrote: "Maybe its not such a bad idea after all. History as we know it is disappearing as we speak.

http://www.technologyreview.com/view/..."

So sad this happens, and more interestingly (view spoiler) Humans will forget crucial knowledge in time, but who knows how far back will we regress.