The Liberal Politics & Current Events Book Club discussion

The Price of Inequality: How Today's Divided Society Endangers Our Future
This topic is about The Price of Inequality
book club > General discussion

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Ricardo | 56 comments This is a so interesting book. Through it, in a so comprehensible way, the author lay out how the inequality affect all the American system and its long lasting and immediate effects. I think that we could begin a discussion about it guys. Let me know what do you think. Un abrazo para todos!!

message 2: by Robert (new)

Robert Zwilling I don't think fixing America is going to fix the world because America is only just one piece of the puzzle.

The top 1 percent of Americans control 40 percent of the nation's wealth.
The top 1 percent of the worlds adults control 40 percent of the world's wealth.

Increase the 1 percent to 10 percent and you come up with 85 percent of the world's wealth.

I don't really like percentages because a decreasing percentage can still have the actual total number increasing.

message 3: by Ricardo (last edited Sep 14, 2012 11:51AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ricardo | 56 comments Nowadays the world is so intertwined. As the first economy on the world, what happen in America has repercussion around the world. Even little economies like Greece could cause a global dissaster.

I think that the inequality across the country is the biggest challenge of this generation. Each time is more difficult to attain the American dream. A recent research of the Pew Charitable trut concludes that the mobility in the economic ladder is less than almost any other developed country.

message 4: by Robert (new)

Robert Zwilling Nowadays the world is so intertwined.

How about a book that deals with this issue in a global manner.

If the world is so intertwined why are we still talking about America like it was the only place where anything matters.

At this point in time, none of the major powers are self sufficient.

Even little economies like Greece could cause a global disaster.

The world is a global village, if you can see it (even by video), you will feel it. In this high speed world what happens to them happens to you and vice versa.

I think that the inequality across the world is the biggest challenge of this civilization.

Inequality is fed by shoddy education.

Education is one of the worst global disgraces, whether it is America's idea of letting "local" funding foot the bill which varies considerably over distances of less than a mile. Places that have technologically competent but soulless educational systems that turn out cogs for huge production lines are no better. And substituting religion for education never works out.

A shoddy education breeds discrimination which keeps people fighting their neighbors and strangers instead of the few above pulling the strings.

In the olden days the ruling powers installed artificial borders around groups of people who naturally did not like each other, this way they would fight each other instead of the colonizers. Now the lack of a proper education keeps the unrest going.

To make matters worse there is no single ideal educational "system" that will fit everyone.

Ricardo | 56 comments I agree with you, inequality is one the biggest challange around the world. Some countries, like Sweden and Norway, have being working hard on that issue. Nevertheless, the reality is that most countries on earth are doing little for solving it. To cite but a few examples, one of the most extreme cases is South Africa, where the mobility is almost mon-existent and the gap between the rich and the poor is enormous; or Latin America, the world`s most unequal region according to the CEPAL. Definitely, we need to change our approach on enquality.

As you have just say, education is a key driver on inequality. Recently a Stanford professor released a study - The Widening Academic Gap Between the Rich and the Poor. There he sets out to show the relation between education and inequality. We need a better education for everybody.

message 6: by Robert (new)

Robert Zwilling Personally I don't think the billion and half or so people getting the short end of the stick are going to put up with it much longer.

Ricardo | 56 comments People are begining to empower them. That is important in a real democracy. We had witnessed the Arab Spring, the occupy wall street movement, Spain`s indiganados... They have attained more than everybody thought. Nevertheless, in some cases they had crossed the line. It is really important that the people demand a more fear world.

message 8: by Robert (new)

Robert Zwilling Yeah, it is growing and you can't stop on a dime, just like the poles are definitely going to melt. Still waiting to see what happens in South Africa.

You got everybody in there kicking the supports out from under the established hierarchy which is what it takes when going up against a technologically superior power. Unfortunately when it seems to be over the violence doesn't stop and the power grabbing is only just beginning. Some of these countries have valuable natural resources either already tapped into or waiting to be brought to the market which only makes the situation that much harder to manage. And then you got the age old problem of "meet the new boss, same as the old boss".