Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

33 views
Questions > About combining multi-volume works

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

❂ Murder by Death  (murderbydeath) Ok, I know you aren't supposed to combine "volume 1/2/3" editions with the complete work, and I know you're supposed to combine all the volume 1 editions together and all the volume 2 editions together, etc.

BUT - does it matter if, say, "volume 2 of 4" is combined with "volume 2 of 5"? In other words, do we combine all volume 2's regardless of how many total volumes there are for each edition?

Sorry for the clumsy wording... :P


message 2: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 43570 comments Mod
❂ Jennifer wrote: "In other words, do we combine all volume 2's regardless of how many total volumes there are for each edition?"

No. If we know they are broken down differently, then they don't have the same content and should not be combined.


message 3: by vicki_girl (last edited Sep 13, 2012 04:07PM) (new)

vicki_girl | 2765 comments Yes, it matters, and No they shouldn't be combined that way. Unfortunately they often are as people don't take the time to check the total number of volumes associated with that edition.

I can tell you I have spent many hours separating manga books that had multiple groupings, like one particular series that had been published in 9, 15, 17, and 34 volume sets. Ugh!

To summarize, combine Vol 1 of 2 with Vol 1 of 2; combine Vol 1 of 3 with Vol 1 of 3; Do not combine Vol 1 of 2 with Vol 1 of 3.


message 4: by Banjomike (last edited Sep 13, 2012 04:10PM) (new)

Banjomike | 5530 comments rivka wrote: "❂ Jennifer wrote: "In other words, do we combine all volume 2's regardless of how many total volumes there are for each edition?"

No. If we know they are broken down differently, then they don't ..."


When talking about a specific work; would you combine a 3 volume set of that work with a 6 volume set of the same work? Assuming no significant differences in the text. I was thinking of the 3 and 6 volume sets of The Lord of the Rings (not all of the single volume editions are complete).


❂ Murder by Death  (murderbydeath) Ok, glad I asked. I'm backing away from Anna Karenina slowly and without making any sudden movements... ;)


message 6: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 43570 comments Mod
Banjomike wrote: "would you combine a 3 volume set of that work with a 6 volume set of the same work? Assuming no significant differences in the text."

Yes, if the set overall has the same contents, I don't care if some are omnibuses and some are multi-volume sets.


message 7: by Krystal109 (new)

Krystal109 | 1086 comments So, basically if they contain the same books they can be combined, even if there may be a same difference in addition content. If they contain different books, do not combine.


back to top