Reviews for the Literary Inclined discussion

General > Questions/Comments/Notes from the Mods

Comments Showing 1-50 of 59 (59 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Monica Porta (new)

Monica Porta | 196 comments Thanks for offering to mod, Sarajayne :) It's so nice to see how this group is growing from its infancy to a full fledged maturity in such a short time. It feels great to be a part of it.

message 2: by Vicki (new)

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 176 comments Glad to see you jumping in there to to help mod this group, Sarajayne.

I truly can't beleive how fast we're growing and the caliber of readers/authours we have access to share and discuss books!

message 3: by Vicki (new)

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 176 comments What is the difference between October BOTM and October Author? Besides the obvious! LOL

message 4: by Vicki (new)

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 176 comments Sarajayne, can you create a topic for recommendations requested? Meaning I have students who read certain genres or book types (fairies for example) and I sometimes am looking for a good book to recommend to them.

One girl, who is now a sophomore. keeps coming in my room JUST to talk with me about her current book!It's such a joy to have a student who LOVES reading! She has been dying to read The Thirteen Secrets (Thirteen Treasures, #3) by Michelle Harrison but her mom hasn't gotten it for her yet. Anyway she comes in and asks me for other books like that one. Any suggestions?

Does this deserve a topic of its own?

message 5: by Vicki (new)

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 176 comments Sarajayne wrote: "Vicki wrote: "Sarajayne, can you create a topic for recommendations requested? Meaning I have students who read certain genres or book types (fairies for example) and I sometimes am looking for a g..."

Thanks! You are the BEST!

message 6: by Jessi, <~}{{Faery Queen**aka**PixiBell}{{~> (last edited Sep 14, 2012 05:38AM) (new)

Jessi Overton (pixibell) | 281 comments Mod
Sarajayne wrote: "Vicki wrote: "What is the difference between October BOTM and October Author? Besides the obvious! LOL"

Good question, and I actually don't know the answer lol. I'll let Jessi take this question s..."

Book of the Month should be a book you would like the group to read as a whole and do a review on to get different POVs on one title and also how they would rate the book on a scale of 1-10. And if we get enough different perspectives then we will take them and fit them into one big review and with the average rating which I'm thinking we will post in both the BotM folder and a new folder call "Group Reviewed"

Author of the Month will be a author who's work you find amazing and would like to spotlighted to the rest of the group. It can also be an author you want to learn more about. Whatever author you choose for October will be November's trivia/scavenger Challenge. Which will occasionally fit into a giveaway of some sort.

I've been contacting publishers and authors for freebies. Now i'm just waiting to hear back.

Does that answer your question a little?

message 7: by Jessi, <~}{{Faery Queen**aka**PixiBell}{{~> (new)

Sarajayne wrote: "Vicki wrote: "Sarajayne wrote: "Vicki wrote: "Sarajayne, can you create a topic for recommendations requested? Meaning I have students who read certain genres or book types (fairies for example) an..."

I'm thinking we the Mods should do a topic on the right and wrongs of review posting. I was thinking of writing a little something then sending it to our email address for you & Vered to add something to it or look it over before we post it. Which check your messages I'm sending you the passwords for the group twitter & email.

message 8: by Vicki (new)

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 176 comments Jessi wrote: "Sarajayne wrote: "Vicki wrote: "What is the difference between October BOTM and October Author? Besides the obvious! LOL"

Good question, and I actually don't know the answer lol. I'll let Jessi ta..."

Yes, it sure does. Can the author be nominated for both BOTM and AOTM?

message 9: by Jessi, <~}{{Faery Queen**aka**PixiBell}{{~> (new)

Sure. For example if you wanted to know more about Nicky Charles then that can be your AotM nomination. And if you wanted really wanted the group to review "The Mating" then that can be your BotM nomination.

message 10: by Jessi, <~}{{Faery Queen**aka**PixiBell}{{~> (new)

Sarajayne wrote: "Jessi wrote: "Sarajayne wrote: "Vicki wrote: "Sarajayne wrote: "Vicki wrote: "Sarajayne, can you create a topic for recommendations requested? Meaning I have students who read certain genres or boo..."

Your fine. I can mostly manage Twitter but I just wanted the Mods to have access to it

message 11: by Vicki (new)

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 176 comments Jessi wrote: "Sure. For example if you wanted to know more about Nicky Charles then that can be your AotM nomination. And if you wanted really wanted the group to review "The Mating" then that can be your BotM n..."

Cool, thanks.

message 12: by Monica Porta (new)

Monica Porta | 196 comments General questions about announcements. Where can an author post about specials/news/or anything else blatantly about himself/herself? Like for example an announcement about a blog/radio interview? ;)

message 13: by Heather (new)

Heather (ham1299) I apologize, Sarajayne, for asking questions in the intro thread, rather than here!

message 14: by Vicki (new)

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 176 comments Ashley wrote: "Just a suggestion, but since there's a thread where authors can introduce themselves, you could create a one post thread with a listing of active authors in the group? Maybe, maybe not?"

Ashley, I like that idea a lot. I'm not an author, "only" a reader.

message 15: by Vicki (new)

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 176 comments Ashley wrote: "I consider myself more a reader than an author anyway, but I think it'd be a great way to showcase the groups authors and get their books recognized. Maybe it'd even be an incentive for other autho..."

Not only that, but it would help our reader only members to quickly identify our authors in the group and support them!

message 16: by Vicki (new)

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 176 comments Sarajayne wrote: "As requested, I have started a new review folder for literary fiction and then I also added classics to that folder as well. If I've missed any other major genres/sub-genres, please let me know and..."

Thanks, Sarajayne!!

message 17: by Monica Porta (new)

Monica Porta | 196 comments Probably this is not the right place to post about my impending interview, but I'm quite excited about it and wanted to let you know :) In case you have time to spare tomorrow, Sunday September 16, around Noon Pacific/3:00 Eastern, I'll be on A Novel Idea Live with Krista Kedrick. http://monicalaporta.com/2012/09/15/p...

message 18: by Jessi, <~}{{Faery Queen**aka**PixiBell}{{~> (new)

It's the perfect place because now we can do a mass email notification for you....Congrats

message 19: by Vicki (new)

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 176 comments Monica wrote: "Probably this is not the right place to post about my impending interview, but I'm quite excited about it and wanted to let you know :) In case you have time to spare tomorrow, Sunday September 16,..."

Very, very cool! I'm going to try to listen!

message 20: by Monica Porta (new)

Monica Porta | 196 comments Thanks, Jessi! Vicki, hope you can make it :)

message 21: by Vered (new)

Vered (vered_ehsani) Jessi wrote: "Sarajayne wrote: "Vicki wrote: "Sarajayne wrote: "Vicki wrote: "Sarajayne, can you create a topic for recommendations requested? Meaning I have students who read certain genres or book types (fairi..."

Hey Jessi - sounds good. Have you sent that email yet?

message 22: by Jessi, <~}{{Faery Queen**aka**PixiBell}{{~> (new)

I sent it to you already I thought?

message 23: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Yoffa (webbiegrrlwriter) | 60 comments Sarajayne wrote: "Ashley wrote: "Just a suggestion, but since there's a thread where authors can introduce themselves, you could create a one post thread with a listing of active authors in the group?"

Like a directory of sorts?

Ashley + Sarajayne, I absolutely LOVE this idea!! Remember, if an author's here on Goodreads, the "add book/author" link on Goodreads lets you add their name as a link to their author page so it's easy to get more info on the author. :)

I wouldn't mind having a separate list (directory) of readers who maintain a book blog (with links to their blogs?)

I'd suggest one of the mods (Sarajayne?) create the thread/list and then new members, as they arrive, can add a comment requesting to be added to the list.

message 24: by Sarah (last edited Sep 17, 2012 01:21PM) (new)

Sarah Yoffa (webbiegrrlwriter) | 60 comments May I also just say I'm really impressed by and enjoying the way this group is evolving and the way the moderators are stepping up to just do things. Interestingly enough, I joined another review-like group around the same time as I joined this one and this one is WAY more fun, interesting, full of nicer people and seems to be much better-organized. Yay to all of you! And thank you. (side note, the other group is primarly authors requesting reviews--from each other or from whomever stops by)

Now I really REALLY have to get off of here and do some work today! Yowza Goodreads is a timesink when I let it be.

-sry
@webbiegrrl

message 25: by Jessi, <~}{{Faery Queen**aka**PixiBell}{{~> (new)

Other group opportunities

Some of you may or may not know this but I have another group called "Casting Call: Characters Welcomed" that's strictly just for fun. I post monthly challenges there and it a place where you can discuss your favorites characters, post pictures of the person who you think fits that character best, etc. I do polls there as well.

This will also be the place where my fun-just because trivias, challenges, puzzles, polls will be placed. If any of you have suggestions of things that you would like to do just for fun then I'd like to extend invitations to you to join but also to invite you the October Challenge & polls that I have posted. Here's the link: http://www.goodreads.com/group/show/7...

Thanks!

message 26: by Monica Porta (new)

Monica Porta | 196 comments I see that there's a members' corner, formerly called for a few minutes cozy :)Is that the place where we can post a little bit of everything? Like links to radio interviews we had? Or pictures of our beagles? ;)

message 27: by Monica Porta (new)

Monica Porta | 196 comments thank, Sarajayne. I promise not to spam the cozy corner with pictures of my beagle, but he's a cutie ;)

message 28: by Jessi, <~}{{Faery Queen**aka**PixiBell}{{~> (new)

What kind of photos exactly?

message 29: by Monica Porta (new)

Monica Porta | 196 comments I was actually joking about the pics :)

message 30: by Jessi, <~}{{Faery Queen**aka**PixiBell}{{~> (new)

@Monica: LOL...Oh okay because.

@Sarajayne: I'm thinking we do a giveaway at the end of October. For best costume if anyone's going to any themed/costume/masquerade parties during the month of October? What do you think?

message 31: by Vered (new)

Vered (vered_ehsani) Sounds cool, Jessi. And Monica, I still want to see a pic of your beagle...

message 32: by Jessi, <~}{{Faery Queen**aka**PixiBell}{{~> (new)

@Mods: Plus they can email them to us our group email and we can post the pictures in a closed thread & list the names in a poll and let the group vote on who has Best Costume.

message 33: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Yoffa (webbiegrrlwriter) | 60 comments Sarajayne wrote: "Monica wrote: "I see that there's a members' corner, formerly called for a few minutes cozy :)Is that the place where we can post a little bit of everything? Like links to radio interviews we had? Or pictures of our beagles? ;) "

Okay, Monica, I'm a dog/cat person (animal lover) but if you start posting pics of your beagle, I might have to see you a white german shepherd and raise you a waggy-tailed boxer (not to mention a whole HERD of Holstein Cats)

@Mods - most groups have a General Chat thread specifically for the Off Topic stuff so you have somewhere to filter out "noise" once the group gets busy. The Creative Reviews group calls it The Attic :) I love The Attic for clearing out the cobwebs from my head. Sometimes you just need a place to talk about nothing...or share puppy pics :) speaking of which Robb your "puppy" must be almost full-grown by now, right? Isn't she about a year +/- a few months?

-sry
@webbiegrrl

message 34: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Yoffa (webbiegrrlwriter) | 60 comments Sarajayne wrote: A Note About Reviews and Spoilers

"We hope members will continue to contribute reviews to the group and it's exciting to see all of the reviews already posted! One thing that we forgot to mention before-reviews that contain spoilers should have the word 'spoiler' placed in the title of the review. This will warn readers that the review contains a spoiler.

Thanks everyone!"

Could I please make another request in addition to this mention of the word SPOILER in the subject line of the review, could we please ask people to use the Goodreads special tag "spoiler" ??

You can see instructions on how to use it by clicking the "(some html is ok)" link above the comment box..down near the bottom of the list is a tag "spoiler..../spoiler" with "<" and ">" around the words. If you use it, your spoiler gets hidden like this: (view spoiler) You have to click the "show spoiler" link to actually see it. That doesn't happen accidentally :)

-sry
@webbiegrrl

message 35: by Vered (new)

Vered (vered_ehsani) BAHAHA - Sarah, I'll throw in a dachshund / pincher mutt and a tortoise to boot.

Nice idea about the Attic. What should we call the place?

message 36: by Jessi, <~}{{Faery Queen**aka**PixiBell}{{~> (last edited Sep 20, 2012 11:17AM) (new)

So I have exciting news. We may be doing a giveaway for Cedar Fort Publishing & Media. Once I get some details I will let you all know.

Also I'm hoping we get 1000+ followers by Nov 11th. So spread the word around and help to get our followers numbers up.

message 37: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Yoffa (webbiegrrlwriter) | 60 comments Jessi wrote: "So I have exciting news. We may be doing a giveaway for Cedar Fort Publishing & Media. Once I get some details I will let you all know.

Also I'm hoping we get 1000+ followers by Nov 11th. So spre..."

Why November 11th, if I may ask? The date stands out for me both because it's Veterans Day and it was my (late) parents wedding anniversary :)

-sry

message 38: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Yoffa (webbiegrrlwriter) | 60 comments Sarajayne wrote: "Just started a thread for general chat :)"

Thanks!

message 39: by Jessi, <~}{{Faery Queen**aka**PixiBell}{{~> (new)

Sarah, The Webbiegrrl Writer wrote: "Jessi wrote: "So I have exciting news. We may be doing a giveaway for Cedar Fort Publishing & Media. Once I get some details I will let you all know.

Also I'm hoping we get 1000+ followers by Nov..."

I've always seen Veteran's Day as the start of the holiday season when everyone will become super busy plus to me it's an unforgettable date. I just figured that would be a good time for a deadline.

Alana ~ The Book Pimp (loonyalana) | 123 comments Can we post reviews we've already written, or do they have to be 'new' reviews?

message 41: by Vered (new)

Vered (vered_ehsani) I think it's fine to post older reviews. I'm not going to, except for one book that I want ALL of you to read (Scars of the Prophet - brilliant).

message 42: by Vicki (new)

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 176 comments Vered wrote: "I think it's fine to post older reviews. I'm not going to, except for one book that I want ALL of you to read (Scars of the Prophet - brilliant)."

Why that particular book? When is the review coming?

message 43: by Jessi, <~}{{Faery Queen**aka**PixiBell}{{~> (new)

Posting older reviews is okay!!!

message 44: by Vered (new)

Vered (vered_ehsani) Vicki - I've put the review under Adults Misc. And literally it is one of the best books I've ever read, on all levels. If we wanted to do a group read of it, the author is on GR and I'm sure he'd be happy to join.

message 45: by Vicki (new)

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 176 comments Vered wrote: "Vicki - I've put the review under Adults Misc. And literally it is one of the best books I've ever read, on all levels. If we wanted to do a group read of it, the author is on GR and I'm sure he'd ..."

Okay then, I'll have to give it a shot!

message 46: by Monica Porta (new)

Monica Porta | 196 comments Sending you and your dear one positive, healing thoughts, Sarajayne. Cyber hugs.

message 47: by Vicki (new)

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 176 comments Sarajayne wrote: "Hey, I wanted to give everyone a heads up-starting today I'll be on GR a lot less and will not be an active mod for this group. A close family member is getting ready to embark on her cancer treatm..."

Sorry to hear this on all accounts, Sarajayne. I'll be praying for your loved one and the family/friends.

I'll miss you!

message 48: by Vered (new)

Vered (vered_ehsani) Sarajayne wrote: "Hey, I wanted to give everyone a heads up-starting today I'll be on GR a lot less and will not be an active mod for this group. A close family member is getting ready to embark on her cancer treatm..."

Thanks for letting us know - love and prayers heading your way.

message 49: by Monica Porta (new)

Monica Porta | 196 comments Last day to enter Flora's giveaway and win a set of The Priest and Pax in the Land of Women. My books have never been free, so it's a nice way to try your luck and get them :)

message 50: by Vicki (new)

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 176 comments Did I miss it or what did we vote to read for the Book of the Month and did we decide on the author of the month?

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

13 Secrets (other topics)