Book Junkies discussion

Archives > Gone with the Wind

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (faize) | 1090 comments Mod
What were your thoughts and feelings on Gone with the Wind?

message 2: by Martha (new)

Martha  (iread1105) have not seen it yet but I will look for it and watch it.

message 3: by Marlene (new)

Marlene (rivera_bookjunkie) I saw this movie a couple of years ago. I rented it and will be watching it again this weekend.

message 4: by Hannah (new)

I still haven't seen it yet; I'll get around to doing that this month.

message 5: by Jade (new)

Jade Varden (jadevarden) It's my all-time favorite. In the original script, "damn" was cut. Clark Gable decided to say the line the way it was written anyway.

message 6: by Hannah (new)

I still haven't seen it yet, GAH!!!

message 7: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 4 comments You must watch it. I know its long, but its worth it, especially the end. Clark Gable, King of Cool!

message 8: by Katie (new)

Katie (kcourt57) | 1 comments I first saw the movie in 8th grade and fell in love!! I think everyone should watch however just like everything else the book is always better but this is my all time favorite movie!! I'm so excited I answered your email to pick a movie!!

message 9: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 4 comments katie, i am ashamed to say have not read the book gone with the wind. it will become #1 priority to read. thanks for the recommendation!

message 10: by Corinne (new)

Corinne Kennedy (corikenn) | 12 comments I absolutely love the book and the movie! I watch it every year and re-read the book every couple of years. Using the word 'damn' in the movie - I believe cost them $5,000 in fines. Clark Gable was especially handsome. Margret Mitchell is one of the people I admire in history. She constantly fought for the rights of her book. If you are interested in the history of the copyright of her book read "Gone with the Wind: A Bestsellers Odyssey from Atlanta to Hollywood"

message 11: by Jade (new)

Jade Varden (jadevarden) It's my favorite book and movie, also. I watch the movie at least once a year, on my birthday. And I agree about the costumes! They are all just absolutely fabulous. The sets are incredible, all the actors are amazing. It deserved to win all those Oscars.

message 12: by Natalie (new)

Natalie | 28 comments This is definitely one of my favorite books, and I love the movie, too. I first read it in 6th grade. It was 1024 pages (the version I read). I remember that because it was the biggest book anyone in my school had ever read, and I really thought I was a BIG DEAL! I got about two chapters into it, realized I was quite lost, and borrowed the movie from my neighbor (who was 23-years-old and obsessed with the movie). Watching the movie really helped me to grasp the book better and was one of the better movie adaptations (and I'm pretty picky about that!). I've watched the movie many times and love Clark Gable and Vivien Leigh (in this movie and many others) and even sat through the sequel, Scarlett (SIX hours long and not nearly as wonderful of a movie). Anyhow...getting off topic...I really do love this movie.

(Also, if you have not seen It Happened One Night with Clark Gable and A Streetcar Named Desire with Vivien Leigh, you are MISSING OUT! :) )

message 13: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lburgessart) | 39 comments It is a classic, but to me it portrays the underlying domination that the white males still continue to think they are entitles to. Yep you guessed it; I am a Sociologist with a firm belief in Feminism

message 14: by Jade (new)

Jade Varden (jadevarden) Good call, Natalie. It Happened One Night and A Streetcar Named Desire are both excellent movies. Vivien Leigh won her second Oscar for Streetcar.

Maggie the Muskoka Library Mouse (mcurry1990) Love it! One of my all time favourite novels.