The Book Challenge discussion

a-m > Audrey's 2009 Challenge list

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Audrey (new)

Audrey (godsmissiongal) I am a stay at home mom so I don't have a huge amount of time to read but I think I am going to maximize the time I do have. I am doing a 75 book challenge, College Student Challenge, and at least A-Z Title. If I get through the A-Z Title and College Student Challenges then I will begin an A-Z Author Challenge. Some of the books I read will be on several of the lists probably though. I have to do it that way this year or I will never get done.

message 2: by Audrey (last edited Mar 16, 2009 01:12PM) (new)

Audrey (godsmissiongal) Here is my A-Z Title List.
A - At the Elbows of my Elders by Gail Milissa Grant(2/16/2009)
B - The Brethren by Beverly Lewis
C - The Clutter Diet: The Skinny on Organizing Your Home and Taking Control of Your Life by Lorie Marrero (3/4/2009)
D - Daria Solves a Mystery by Norma Jean Lutz
E - An Echo of Hope by Dianna Crawford
F - Fire by Night by Lynn Austin
G - Great Dream of Heaven by Sam Shepard(2/3/2009)
H - A Home in the Valley by Diana Crawford(2/18/2009)
I - It Takes a Village: And Other Lessons Children Teach Us by Hillary Rodham Clinton(Currently Reading)
J - Joy School by Elizabeth Berg(2/6/2009)
K - Kaiulani: The Peoples Princess by Ellen Emerson White
L - Lady of the River by Dianna Crawford
M - Maria Antoinette: Princess of Versailles by Kathryn Lasky
N- Nelson Mandela: "No Easy Walk to Freedom" by Barry Denenberg
O - Once Upon A Summer by Janette Oke
P - The Preachers Daughter By Beverly Lewis
Q - Queen by Alex Haley
R - Reconciled by Elisabeth Grace Daniel
S - Slow Hands by Leslie Kelly (3/14/2009)
T - A Time for Angels by Sandra Petit & Gail Sattler
U - Under the Distant Sky by Al & JoAnna Lacy
V - Victoria: May Blossom of Britonnia by Anna Kirwan
W - Where the Sidewalk Ends - Shel Silverstein (2/11/2009)
X - EXiled to the Red River by Dave & Neta Jackson(2/20/2009)
Y - Year of Pleasures - by Elizabeth Berg
Z - Zlata's Diary: A Child's Life in Sarajevo by Zlata

message 3: by Audrey (last edited Mar 20, 2009 11:00AM) (new)

Audrey (godsmissiongal) Here is My College Challenge List:

5 Points
1. The Life and Loves of April Johnson by Eve Vaughn

2. For Saint Patrick's Day: Read a book set in Ireland, is by an Irish Author, or whose main character is Irish. - So Far From Home: The Diary of Mary Driscoll an Irish Mill Girl by Barry Denenberg

3. Read a Classic - Anne of Avonlea by L.M. Montgomery

4. Great Dream Of Heaven by Sam Shepard(2/3/2009)

5. Read a memoir - Zlata's Diary: A Child's Life in Sarajevo by Zlata Filipovic

6. Homespun Bride by Jillian Hart (3/16/2009)

7. The History of Love: A Novel by Nicole Krauss (3/20/2009)

8. Read a book that has a food/drink in the Title - Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen

9. Buying a Fishing Rod for My Grandfather by Gao Xing Jian(2/28/2009)

10. Where the Sidewalk Ends by Shel Silverstein (2/11/2009)

10 Points Each
1. Read a book with the name of a month in it. - A Wedding in December by Anita Shreve

2. Read a book with an author that has the same birthday as you. - Refiner's Fire by Mark Helprin

3. Joy School by Elizabeth Berg (2/6/2009)

4. Little Women by Louisa May Alcott(02/10/2009)

5. The Obsessive Compulsive Trap by Dr. Mark Crawford (2/5/2009) Highly Recommend!!!

6. Read a book with a one word title. - Revolution by George Barna

7. Kids Love Indiana: A Parent's Guide to Exploring Fun Places in Indiana With Children...Year Round! by George and Michele Zavatsky (3/1/2009)

8. Read a book that has been banned/challenged. - Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank

9. Read a book set in a place you have always wanted to visit/live. - Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden

10. A Home in the Valley by Dianna Crawford(2/18/2009) Awesome book!!!

15 Points
1. Read a book that has a college student as the main character or is a person close to your age. - Boy Meets Girl by Joshua Harris

2. Read a book from an Author that was born/lived in your state or geographical area. - Reconciled by Elisabeth Grace Daniel

3. Read a book about/relating to the particular field of study you are in or were in. - Revolution in World Missions by K.P Yohannan

4. Read a book written by a Good Reads Author. - Going Down South: A Novel by Bonnie Glover

5. The Life and Times of Mother Teresa by Tanya Rice (2/19/2009)

6. At the Elbows of My Elders by Gail Milissa Grant(02/16/2009)

7. Read a book by an Author you hate. - It Takes A Village: And Other Lessons Children Teach Us by Hillary Rodham Clinton (Currently Reading)

8. Read a book that you were supposed to read in High School but instead used spark notes for. - The Call of the Wild by Jack London

25 Points
1. Read a book with over 700 pages. - Queen by Alex Haley (789 Pages)

2. Audrey Hepburn, An Elegant Spirit: A Son Remembers by Sean Hepburn Ferrer (3/20/2009)

3. Read a book about a different religion than you are. - A Rabbi Talks With Jesus by Jacob Neusner

4. Read a book that you would normally never pick up. - Mirage by George Hager & Eric Pianin

Total: 135 Points

message 4: by Audrey (new)

Audrey (godsmissiongal) 1. Great Dream of Heaven by Sam Shepard
Start Date: February 2nd
Finished: February 3rd

Didn't really care for this book of short stories. I would rate it 2 stars, maybe 2 1/2.

message 5: by Audrey (last edited Feb 05, 2009 12:20PM) (new)

Audrey (godsmissiongal) 2. The Obsessive Compulsive Trap by Dr. Mark Crawford

Start Date: February 4th
Finished: February 5th
I highly recommend this book to anyone that has OCD or knows somebody that does. It is written by a Christian Psychologist that specializes in behavioral therapy in the treatment of OCD. He also talks about OCD's sister syndromes: Body Dysmorphic Disorder, Trichoyillomania (recurrent pulling of hair), Teurette's Disorder, and Skin Picking and Nail Biting, and depression and anxiety attacks related to OCD. It was only 164 pages but chocked full of good information. It is from a Christian Perspective throughout. 5 Stars

message 6: by Audrey (last edited Feb 19, 2009 07:41PM) (new)

Audrey (godsmissiongal) 3. The Life and Times of Mother Teresa by Tanya Rice

Start Date: February 19th
Finished: February 19th

Very short biography of Mother Teresa and a very refreshing book to read. Just the thought of someone being willing to give up absolutely everything to care for the poor and dying is humbling to say the least. May we all strive to be more like this blessed and loving woman. 5 Stars!

message 7: by Audrey (last edited Mar 20, 2009 09:50AM) (new)

Audrey (godsmissiongal) A-Z Author List
A - Allen, Paula Gunn & Smith, Patricia Clark - As Long As the River Flows
B - Barna, George - Revolution
C - Crawford, Dr. Mark - The Obsessive Compulsive Trap (02/05/2009)
D - Denenberg, Barry - So Far From Home: The Diary of Mary Driscoll, An Irish Mill Girl
E - Elmer, Robert - Beyond The River
F - Franklin, Darlene - Romanian Rhapsody
G - Gruen, Sara - Water for Elephants
H - Helprin, Mark - Refiner's Fire
I - Ianonna, Lee - Where Have All The Leaders Gone?
J - Jackson, Dave & Neta - Imprisoned in the Golden City
K - Krauss, Nicole - The History of Love: A Novel (3/20/2009)
L - London, Jack - The Call of the Wild
M - Montgomery, L.M. - Anne of Avonlea
N - Nixon, Joan Lowery - Colonial Williamsburg: Ann's Story, 1747
O - Oke, Janette - The Tender Years
P - Pianin, Eric & Hager, George - Mirage
Q - ?
R - Rice, Tanya - The Life and Times of Mother Teresa (2/19/2009)
S - Silverstein, Shel - A Light in the Attic (2/21/2009)
T - Turner, Ann - The Girl Who Chased Away Sorrow
U - Ulrich, Laurel Thatcher - Well-Behaved Women Seldom Make History
V - Von Mueffling, Dini - The 50 Most Romantic Things Ever Done (2/21/2009)
W -White, Ellen Emerson - Voyage on the Great Titanic
X - Xingjian, Gao - Buying a Fishing Rod For My Grandfather: Stories(2/28/2009)
Y - Yohannan, K.P. - Revolution in World Missions
Z - Zavatsky, George & Michelle - Kids Love Indiana: A Parent's Guide to Exploring Fun Places in Indiana With Children(3/1/2009)

message 8: by Audrey (last edited Mar 20, 2009 11:01AM) (new)

Audrey (godsmissiongal) Here is another Challenge I will do.

1. Audrey Hepburn, An Elegant Spirit: A Son Remembers by Sean Hepburn Ferrer (3/20/2009)
2. His Lady Mistress by Elizabeth Rolls (3/4/2009)
3. Read one book by deceased author. - Anne of Avonlea by L.M. Mongomery
4. Buying a Fishing Rod for My Grandfather: Stories by Gao Xingjian (2/28/2009)
5. The Obsessive Compulsive Trap by Dr. Mark Crawford (2/5/2009)
6.A Home in the Valley by Dianna Crawford (2/18/2009)
7. Read one work of literary fiction.
8. Read one book classified as "Young Adult" - Daria Solves a Mystery by Norma Jean Lutz
9. Great Dream of Heaven by Sam Shepard(2/3/2009)
10. Read a poetry collection. - Where the Sidewalk Ends by Shel Silverstein (2/11/2009)
11. Read a graphic novel. - Maus I: A Survivor's Tale: My Father Bleeds History by Art Spiegelman.
12. Read a banned book. - Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank

message 9: by Audrey (new)

Audrey (godsmissiongal) 4. Joy School by Elizabeth Berg (208 Pages)
Start Date - February 5th 2009
Finished - February 6th 2009

Pretty Good Book. 4 1/2 Stars

message 10: by Audrey (last edited Feb 16, 2009 10:55AM) (new)

Audrey (godsmissiongal) 5. At the Elbows of My Elders by Gail Milissa Grant

Started Reading - February 7th, 2009
Finished Reading - February 16th, 2009

4 1/2 stars. It is a little dry here and there but overall pretty good.

message 11: by Audrey (last edited Feb 10, 2009 03:22PM) (new)

Audrey (godsmissiongal) 6. Little Women by Louisa May Alcott

Started Reading - February 7th, 2009
Finished - February 10th, 2009

Of Course this is a great book. Also watched the movie adaptation.

message 12: by Audrey (new)

Audrey (godsmissiongal) 7. Where the Side Walk Ends by Shel Silverstein

Started Reading - February 11th, 2009
Finished - February 11th, 2009

Good Book Very Fast Read!!

message 13: by Audrey (last edited Feb 18, 2009 10:02AM) (new)

Audrey (godsmissiongal) 8. A Home in the Valley by Dianna Crawford

Started Reading - February 16th, 2009
Finished - February 18th, 2009

This book is an awesome Christian Historical Romance Novel. It is wonderful. Its one of those books you just don't want to put down. I like it so well I am getting the 2nd in the series on Thursday. 5+ Stars. Highly recommended!!!

message 14: by Audrey (new)

Audrey (godsmissiongal) 9. Spanish Missionaries: Bringing Spanish Culture to the Americas by R. Conrad Stein

Started: February 20th
Finished: February 20th

Good insightful book for children dealing with the early 1700 & 1800 South-west United States and the Spanish missionaries that witnessed to the Native Americans. But also showed the cruelty that accompanied these missionaries throughout the southwest. 4 1/2 stars.

message 15: by Audrey (new)

Audrey (godsmissiongal) 10. Exiled to the Red River: Chief Spokane Garry by Dave and Neta Jackson

Started: February 19th
Finished: February 20th

Great Book! It tells the story of a young boy, later named Spokane Garry by the whiteman, that travels many miles to be taught the way to God at a mission school in Canada in the 1820's. It is a great books for young adults to read to show them the power of belief in God. 5 Stars.

message 16: by Audrey (new)

Audrey (godsmissiongal) 11. A Light in the Attic by Shel Silverstein

Started: February 21st
Finished: February 21st

Good Book! 4 Stars!

message 17: by Audrey (new)

Audrey (godsmissiongal) 12. The 50 Most Romantic Things Ever Done by Dini Von Mueffling

Started: February 20th
Finished: February 21st

Good Book! Some love stories were questionable in my opinion. A few homosexual love stories which kinda bothered me but overall if you overlook those 2 stories the rest was pretty good. 4 1/4 Stars.

message 18: by Audrey (new)

Audrey (godsmissiongal) 13. Falling Up by Shel Silverstein

Started: February 22nd
Finished: February 22nd

Good Book! 4 1/4 Stars!

message 19: by Audrey (new)

Audrey (godsmissiongal) 14. Buying a Fishing rod for My Grandfather: Stories by Gao Xingjian

Started: February 26th
Finished: February 28th

The Short Stories in this collection were mostly strange. 3 Stars.

message 20: by Audrey (new)

Audrey (godsmissiongal) 15. Kids Love Indiana: A Parent's Guide to Exploring Fun Places in Indiana With Children..Year Round! by George and Michele Zavatsky

Started: February 27th
Finished: March 1st

Good Book if interested in taking your children on fun trips and for homeschooling and going on day-long field trips. 5 Stars.

message 21: by Audrey (last edited Mar 01, 2009 11:23AM) (new)

Audrey (godsmissiongal) 16. It Takes a Village: And Other Lessons Children Teach Us by Hillary Rodham Clinton.

Started: February 23rd
Finished: Currently Reading

Slow Read. And This book has shown me how totally hypocritical the Clinton's really are. I want to scream sometimes reading this book and how the Christian aspect is thrown in it for little affect here and there. It would be better without it because you can really tell that their parenting style is completely different from that which is laid out in the Bible. I would not recommend this book to anybody. I am only reading this book because for one of my challenges I needed to read a book by an author that I hate and this seemed like the one for me. I got the book from the library because there is no way that I would actually give my money to anything that was related to Hillary or any of the Clinton's for that matter. 1/2 Star.

message 22: by Audrey (new)

Audrey (godsmissiongal) 17. His Lady Mistress by Elizabeth Rolls

Started: 3/4/2009
Finished: 3/5/2009

Very quick read. I didn't want to put it down. A little racy for some people probably. 4 1/2 Stars.

message 23: by Audrey (new)

Audrey (godsmissiongal) 18. The Clutter Diet: The Skinny on Organizing Your Home and Taking Control of Your Life by Lorie Marrero

Started: 3/3/2009
Finished: 3/4/2009

Excellent Book. One I will be referring back to often for sure. This was also my first Kindle book experience and I loved it. I have read so much since getting this Kindle. 5 Stars.

message 24: by Audrey (new)

Audrey (godsmissiongal) 19. Slow Hands by Leslie Kelly

Started: 3/13/2009
Finished: 3/14/2009

Ok Book. 3 1/2 Stars.

message 25: by Audrey (new)

Audrey (godsmissiongal) 20. Homespun Bride by Jillian Hart

Started: 3/15/2009
Finished: 3/16/2009

Loved this book. I found it hard to put down. It is well written and has a great story line. I would highly recommend this book to anyone that likes great Christian Historical Romances. 5+ Stars.

message 26: by Audrey (new)

Audrey (godsmissiongal) 21. The Life and Loves of April Johnson by Eve Vaughn

Started: March 17th
Finished: March 18th

It was an ok book. My main criticism was the fact that in parts it was as if the person in charge of checking for spelling and grammatical errors was sleeping on the job. It was deplorable in that aspect. Its hard to read a book when you have to reread a sentence several times to get what is trying to be said because there are misplaced words, misspelled words, or missing words. But other than that is was ok. One of the main male Characters, Marcus, seems to be a stalker and a pig at times but I guess you could argue that his persistence finally won out in the end. Overall I give it 3 1/2 Stars.

message 27: by Audrey (new)

Audrey (godsmissiongal) 22. The History Of Love by Nicole Krauss

Started: March 19th
Finished: March 20th

This book was good but it took me a while to figure out what was going on. Not really until the end did they really tie everything together. But overall I would give it 4 1/4 stars.

message 28: by Audrey (new)

Audrey (godsmissiongal) 23. Audrey Hepburn, An Elegant Spirit: A Son Remembers by Sean Hepburn Ferrer

Started: 3/15/2009
Finished: 3/20/2009

Great insight into the life of a great woman. It took me a while to read only because I was quite busy with other things at the time. 4 3/4 Stars.