Tierra Encantada Charter School discussion

The Great Gatsby
This topic is about The Great Gatsby
Engl. IV > stories

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Tierra Encantada | 76 comments Mod
Discuss the details that Gatsby shares with Nick about his past. Does Nick believe Gatsby's story? Why of why not?

Josh Smith | 18 comments Gatsby shares "i am the son of some wealthy people in the Middle West-all dead now. I was brought up in America but educated at Oxford, because all my ancestors have been educated there for many years. It's a family tradition." Nick doesn't believe Gatsby, like Jordan, because "he hurried the phrase 'educated at Oxford,' or swallowed it, or choked on it, as though it had bothered him before." (pg. 65)

message 3: by Lyon (new)

Lyon Rivera | 16 comments At first, Nick didn't believe the stories that Gatsby was telling him because the stories sounded to unreal. The more time he spent with Gatsby, the more real the stories became. "So my first impression, that he was a person of some undefined consequence, had gradually faded and he had become simply the proprietor of an elaborate road-house next door." The truth of the stories became real when Gatsby showed Nick a photograph.

message 4: by Mayra (new)

Mayra | 21 comments Nick Does Not Bealive Gatsby at first because he said "we'll im going to tell you something about my life"(pg.65) ... Nick Probrably thought he was going to make up a story of his life.
he said that he was the son of a wealthy person in the middle east. "I am The Son of some wealthy people in the Middle West all dead now"(pg65)
this prase probrably seemed a little un bealiveable to Nick, but with time and getting to know Gatsby, Nick begans to bealive his life story.

message 5: by Jesus (last edited Sep 27, 2012 03:40PM) (new)

Jesus | 21 comments Its in pg 65 where Gatsby begins to diccuss his life with Nick. He tells him that he's from a wealthy family who lives in the middle east, San Francisco. He also tells him that its a family tradition to study in Oxford. Nick does not belief Gatsby "I knew why Jordan Baker had believed he was lying." He also says all his family is died and that he got their wealth. "My family all died and I came into a good deal of money." How ever Nick still doesnt belief him at first but the way that Gatsby looked at him ended up convincing Nick. " For a moment I suspected that he was pulling my leg, but a glance at him convinced me otherwise." He also tells him how he went to the capital of places like Europe- Paris, Venice, Rome. He explain that the reason he had gone to those places was to collect jewels, chiefly rubies, hunting big games, paint, and to try to forgot what had once happened to him a long time ago. What shocked me about Gatsby was that when he was in the war in tried with all his effort to get killed. "Then came the war, old sport. It was a great relief, and i tried very hard to die, but I seemed to bear an enchanted life." pg 66 on pg 67 Gatsby show nick a photograph of him in Oxford which made Nick forgot all doubts he had about gatsbys story.

message 6: by Valeria (new) - added it

Valeria Ferrer | 9 comments Nick and Gatsby were conversating and then Gatsby told Nick "what's your opinion of me, anyhow?" Nick was about to answer but Gatsby interrupted him and said "well I'm going to tell you something about my life" "I am the son of some wealthy people in the middle west-all dead now. I was brought up in America but educated there for many years. It is a family tradition." Gatsby doesn't believe him because he hurried the phrase "educated at Oxford" so his statement fell to pieces, it sounded fake. Gatsby kept going with his stories which Nick didn't believe until Gatsby showed him a photograph of half a dozen young men in blazers. Pg. 67

message 7: by Andrea (last edited Sep 23, 2012 02:24PM) (new)

Andrea | 18 comments Gatsby tells nick about himself and his past because he does not want nick to get a bad impression of himself. " I am the son of some wealthy people in the middle west" (pg 65) he tells him where he went to school "educated at Oxford" (pg 65) he tells him where he lived "capitals of europe Paris, Venice, Rome" (pg 65) how he tried to kill himself when he was at war but he had an "enchanted life" (pg 66) and so on. He actually believes gatsby " and I wondered if there wasn't something a little sinister about him , after all" (pg 65)

message 8: by Drew (new) - rated it 1 star

Drew | 19 comments Discuss the details that Gatsby shares with Nick about his past. Does Nick believe Gatsby's story? Why of why not?
the details Gatsby shares are " I am the son of some wealthy people in the middle west"pg 65. he also states that he was "educated at oxford"pg 65 nick did not believe this because of the way he said this "he hurried the phrase educated at oxford or swallowed it or choked on it as though it had bothered him before. And with this doubt his whole statement fell to pieces, and i wondered if there wasn't something a little more sinister about him, after all" pg 65 The ironic part is after Gatsby shows nick a medal and a picture he believes what he said.