Boxall's 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die discussion

(Overly??)Ambitious Read Goals

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cate (new)

Cate | 6 comments I went to a used book store and pick up Ivanhoe, The Bell Jar and .......War and Peace. Never mind the fact that I'm currently reading Last of the Mohicans and a non-list book. My pile of books grows! I guess there is one benefit to being laid-off.

message 2: by Anna (new)

Anna (lilfox) | 301 comments Read 150 books this year.

message 3: by Karien (new)

Karien Cate wrote: "I went to a used book store and pick up Ivanhoe, The Bell Jar and .......War and Peace. Never mind the fact that I'm currently reading Last of the Mohicans and a non-list book. My pile of books gro..."
How are you finding Last of the Mohicans? I have started but had a really hard time getting into it...so it's just waiting for me. I thought I'd read a chapter a week but I always have better things to read so I don't even do that.

message 4: by Cate (new)

Cate | 6 comments Karien wrote: "Cate wrote: "I went to a used book store and pick up Ivanhoe, The Bell Jar and .......War and Peace. Never mind the fact that I'm currently reading Last of the Mohicans and a non-list book. My pile..."

Karien wrote: "Cate wrote: "I went to a used book store and pick up Ivanhoe, The Bell Jar and .......War and Peace. Never mind the fact that I'm currently reading Last of the Mohicans and a non-list book. My pile..."

I'm having to force myself through it. It's not the story but I don't think I've ever seen so much punctuation in one place! LOL

message 5: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (KristiColeman) I'm also having a hard time with Last of the Mohicans. I just can't seem to get into a groove with this book...

message 6: by Karien (new)

Karien The thing is I know it's a great story - I loved the film (but I don't know I close the film is to the book) but he just takes forever to say almost nothing.

message 7: by Niche (new)

Niche I read the Last of the Mohicans in high school. It wasn't a book I would have chosen on my own but I enjoyed it. I loved the movie and the soundtrack from the movie more than the book. Natty Bumpo is such a ridiculous name for a romantic lead.

message 8: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (KristiColeman) lol...but that's the whole problem...in the book Nathaniel is the same age as chingachgook! he's not a romantic lead at all! The movie is almost a different story from the book! (I'm talking about the movie with Daniel Day-Lewis...incase there are any other versions) I think that is why I'm haveing a hard time...my brain keeps following the movie, and the book is really different!

I also agree that the author takes FOREVER to state the most simple of things, and it almost distracts from the story.

message 9: by Kristen (new)

Kristen (ravenskya) I had a really rough time with it... soooooo many descriptions of the leaves and the pine needles and the wind... I just wanted to scream "WILL SOMEONE PLEASE DO SOMETHING NOW?"

message 10: by Niche (new)

Niche There are 3 different film versions. I've only seen the 1992 version and the 1936 version. Yeah your right Kristi, I seem to think the D.D.L movie is the definitive version.

message 11: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (kristilarson) | 267 comments The book was difficult but I enjoyed it overall. I think it takes some time to get used to the language. And the Daniel Day Lewis version is NOT at all true to the book.

message 12: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (KristiColeman) which begs the question did you like the movie or the book better?? For me it's the movie.

message 13: by Trinah (new)

Trinah | 2 comments My overly ambitious goal is to read the 1283 books, so also reading the new additions of the updated version. Read 61 altogether from both lists. Lots of reading ahead!

message 14: by Christina (last edited Feb 08, 2009 02:50AM) (new)

Christina | 186 comments I read 'The Last of the Mohicans' as a teenager and also read the rest of the series and I liked them all and read them several times... But I almost can't remember anything of it - I think I'll have to pick it up again soon.

Ultimately, my goal is the same as Trinah's - read both the old and the new version of the list. Currently, I focus on the old list but I think some of the books that are on my to-read list are on the new list anyway (Suite Francaise, Half of a yellow Sun...) so I will read from that without even trying :-)

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

I have a goal of 100 books this year 50 are on the list of 1001 the other 50 aren't. My TBR list keeps growing. Especially with getting great recommends from GR members!