UK Amazon Kindle Forum discussion

General Chat - anything Goes > How is the group doing?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 54 (54 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Simon (Highwayman) (last edited Sep 12, 2012 02:43AM) (new)

Simon (Highwayman) (highwayman) | 4698 comments I occasionally start a discussion about the way the group is going and try to get some ideas.

Since last time I had this discussion a few things have happened.

Group Books
I have changed the way we get the monthly books. I did this because I wanted to be able to suggest four GREAT books that members would feel they could splash out their hard earned money on without finding they have bought a poorly written/edited/proof read piece of work.

The Oak Tree group was born and a small group of reviewers work tirelessly throughout the month to prepare the next months selection.

The only way we can tell if this works is by feedback, but the group book discussions seem to have become very quiet recently.

Live Events
Our clunky live events are great fun and we always get loads of people involved. We have given them a rest over the summer, but I am hoping Lorraine (where is Lorraine?) will start on them again soon.

Competitions
I don't seem to be able to give money away. The competitions don't seem to grab everyones enthusiasm.

Authors and Books
I love to see authors on here and the author to author area seems to be quite active.

So ......
Help me out here, what do you like, what do you hate and what can we do to keep things fresh?

Rosemary (grooving with the Picts) (nosemanny) | 9111 comments Mostly brilliant I think.

Group books - maybe four is too many? I like to join in a discussion about a book, but I can't keep up with four discussions, and reading time is limited so I may not read all four...

Really enjoy live events :)

Like comps too, but perhaps fewer of them and a HUMUNGOUS prize would attract more entrants.

message 3: by Michael (new)

Michael Brookes (technohippy) I find it difficult to get involved in group reads, my personal to read pile is two piles three feet :-)

I find the authors section quite useful.

So far none of the competitions have grabbed my attention, but ahain finding time beyond my own projects is tricky.

In fairness though I like this group and is one of the few I participate in on Goodreads.

message 4: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Lawston (andrewlawston) | 1791 comments I'd second many of Michael's points - this is certainly my favourite group on Goodreads. I also have trouble with group reads given the size of my TBR pile. Perhaps more notice of each month's books might help - to give more people time to read them and participate once the month kicks off? There's no way I'd ever be able to read all four books in a given month, but I've already read two of this month's selection, so that's cool.

message 5: by Tim (new)

Tim | 9478 comments Yes, given a couple of weeks notice of "next month's" books, there's a good chance that I'll have read one or more before the end of the month, and so have something to contribute to the discussion before it disappears. On at least two occasions, the discussion thread has already gone by the time I have something to say.

message 6: by Jud (last edited Sep 12, 2012 03:01AM) (new)

Jud (judibud) | 18543 comments I have no complaints but I would differ with Rosemary in that I like there being more books cause it means there is more chance that there will be something for everyone. I've given up trying to read them all each month. We do need to work on the discussions though, not many people get involved.

Would it be too complicated to have the discussions the month after the book is selected? Rather than just a couple of weeks later. Sometimes I find that the discussion started a week or 2 before I finish so when I get to the discussion everything I want to say has already been said so there is no point saying it again.

message 7: by Simon (Highwayman) (last edited Sep 12, 2012 03:03AM) (new)

Simon (Highwayman) (highwayman) | 4698 comments How about two slow books (two months) and two faster books (one month)?

message 8: by Jay-me (Janet) (last edited Sep 12, 2012 03:09AM) (new)

Jay-me (Janet)  | 4324 comments I like the fact that there is a variety of books for the monthly read. A variety of genre and price is good - including freebies, so that anyone can join in because hopefully there will be a book to suit their taste and their purse (or wallet) This month I have read two out of the four already and have another one on my TBR. I don't have a problem with books being chosen monthly But I read a lot and if the monthly books appeal to me I would probably bump them up my TBR.

I like the fact that some authors stick around and answer our questions about their books (like - when will the next one be ready?) and join in with non-book conversations and become our virtual friends.

I've only joined in with one live event, I enjoyed that.

I'll put my thinking cap on & see if I can come up with any suggestions for something new (I did have an idea that I mentioned to Patti once, I think unless I dreamed that)

message 9: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25093 comments That would mean having 2 months' books running concurrently - would that work Simon? So we could, for example, have September's books continuing until the end of October to give people time to read and comment? Woudn't that then stop people reading the October books? Should we keep the books up for 2 months and have 6 selections a year, each with 4 books?

message 10: by Jud (new)

Jud (judibud) | 18543 comments Maybe that is something we will never get sorted for everyone. I would say 2 months is too long, if you read it at the beginning you'll have forgotten about it by the time the discussion goes live

Simon (Highwayman) (highwayman) | 4698 comments I am quite sure I would totally b*gger it up trying to run different books for different lengths of time. Just trying to get a bit of debate!

message 12: by Jud (new)

Jud (judibud) | 18543 comments Ignite's idea might be better 4 books lasting 2 months.

message 13: by Jud (new)

Jud (judibud) | 18543 comments Also would mean that the group books won't get in the way so much of personal reading challenges or just your TBR list!

Jay-me (Janet)  | 4324 comments How about having the discussions in a separate section from the book choices then they can be kept live when the book choices are replaced by the next selections?

message 15: by Tim (new)

Tim | 9478 comments No, I think that all you need to do is pre-announce the following month's books. Just a post that says "Next month's books will be... tum te tum" Doesn't need anything more complicated than that. Then the people that need or want to get a head start, can.

message 16: by Elle (new)

Elle (louiselesley) | 7913 comments I like the idea of having more time. I never really get around to many group books because by the time I've finished other challenges it's nearing the end of the month!!

I like the idea of having the dicussions kept live. I recently read a group read from way last year and I would of liked to have discussed it.

message 17: by Lorraine (new)

Lorraine Versini (lorraineversini) | 8999 comments Another group I've joined have "buddy reads"... basically, if you've read a book that you think other people will enjoy you put it on there, and if people want to talk about it then the book has its own thread. And there's no "one month and it's all over". Might be worth giving it a though.

As for the live events, I need to email the mods about how to best go about them. But it's been work work work, then holidays, then no work but lots of worries/depressive mood, and now I have to refuse work ! Finding it a bit hard to juggle everything and going back to the routine of Ollie going back to school, but I'll get round to it ! Sorry if I've been a bit shy recently, I just felt a bit overwhelmed by everything !

message 18: by Elle (new)

Elle (louiselesley) | 7913 comments I love that on other groups too Lorraine! It sometimes gets overpowered by self-promo's though!

message 19: by Lorraine (new)

Lorraine Versini (lorraineversini) | 8999 comments Maybe if the thread is not actually started by the writer but by readers that would stop the spamming... or we employ Gingerlily and her whip full-time?

message 20: by Elle (new)

Elle (louiselesley) | 7913 comments Sometimes in other groups (and I'm not implying our authors would) but they get other people to make it.

Gingerlily - The Full Wild | 36808 comments Lorraine - Lover of Jellybeans wrote: "Maybe if the thread is not actually started by the writer but by readers that would stop the spamming... or we employ Gingerlily and her whip full-time?"

Well I'll probably be free soon...

message 22: by Katie (new)

Katie Stewart (katiewstewart) | 853 comments Lorraine - Lover of Jellybeans wrote: "Maybe if the thread is not actually started by the writer but by readers that would stop the spamming... or we employ Gingerlily and her whip full-time?"

Isn't that what the 'recommended reads' thread is about though?

I agree that the monthly books would be better announced in the middle of the month before.

I'd love to participate in the Live Events, but it just isn't possible from here.

The web ring is a great innovation, too. Thanks for that!

message 23: by Elle (new)

Elle (louiselesley) | 7913 comments recommended reads doesn't have discussion though, it's more of a 'oh i better read that and ill comment back on it if i enjoy it or not' thread

message 24: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25093 comments There's no reason why Recommendedd Reads shouldn't have discussion. We did it after I recommended Cornelius' first book back in the days when individual readers chose the monthly books. Those of us who'd love it had a discussion about Book 2!
If we ever get Book 3 we might do it again!

message 25: by Jud (new)

Jud (judibud) | 18543 comments I wonder if it's coming sooon or if it is still soooooooon?

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments I'm just sitting back and watching this thread but I will interject and say a book can be discussed anywhere, anytime, by someone (other than the author as that would be promo which could cause bad feelings toward them, which we certainly dont want) who has read it and has something to say about it.

message 27: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25093 comments That's what I meant. I think!

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Ignite wrote: "That's what I meant. I think!"

Yeah, but I said it with authority. ;)

message 29: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25093 comments True. I waffled it behind my hand.

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Nothing wrong with a good waffle.

Mmmmmmmmaplesyrupmmmmmmm

Rosemary (grooving with the Picts) (nosemanny) | 9111 comments Group books - currently there are two threads about each book. The thread to "introduce" each book seems to get more discussion going than its "Discussions with spoilers" thread. My suggestion would be to have one thread to say "this month's books are..." and list them there, and then one thread for each book. At the moment I wouldn't know which thread to add a post on!

message 32: by Grace (new)

Grace Elliot (httpwwwgoodreadscomgraceelliot) | 147 comments Simon (Highwayman) wrote: "How about two slow books (two months) and two faster books (one month)?"

I dont think having a 2 month read would help - I suspect most folk in this group are fast readers and it's more a case of too many books in the TBR pile, than it takes a long time to read each book.
If the book doesnt grab you enough to read it in the featured month, I dont see having an extra month to think about it is going to help.

Congratulations on the group though. What makes it for me is the witty banter. :-)

message 33: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25093 comments I think having books announced in advance and kept on for longer would just make it harder to keep up!

message 34: by Jud (new)

Jud (judibud) | 18543 comments Yea, it'd probably get confusing.

message 35: by Jud (new)

Jud (judibud) | 18543 comments Plus I think Grace is 100% correct.

message 36: by Gary (new)

Gary Murning | 46 comments Well, I'm new here—so just orienting myself—but my first impressions would have to include:

1) A friendly, helpful and welcoming bunch of people.
2) Great attitude to authors in the group (I've already sold a book as a direct result of the author section—so thank you for this opportunity).
3) Great range of suggested books.
4) A decent amount of wit and general craziness. Always a bonus.

In short, you'll probably be seeing more of me. And you've only got yourself to blame :-)

message 37: by Jud (new)

Jud (judibud) | 18543 comments Aw! That's great :o) Thanks for letting us know Gary.

Gingerlily - The Full Wild | 36808 comments As in the Underpants-on-head photo?

message 39: by Tim (new)

Tim | 9478 comments Ignite wrote: "I think having books announced in advance and kept on for longer would just make it harder to keep up!"

I disagree. Easier, if anything.

message 40: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25093 comments Nah, I'd feel the more books, the more pressure.

Jay-me (Janet)  | 4324 comments Tim A wrote: "Ignite wrote: "I think having books announced in advance and kept on for longer would just make it harder to keep up!"

I disagree. Easier, if anything."

Ignite wrote: "Nah, I'd feel the more books, the more pressure."

I think that the extra couple of weeks would mean - for me anyway -

1. If I liked the look of the books & they weren't out of my price range then I'd probably read them before the month started. Assuming that they weren't ones that had attracted my attention and already been read anyway. Given how fast I can read books that I enjoy I would be hanging around waiting for everyone else to catch up.

2. If I didn't like the look of the books then they would not sully my kindle. Two extra weeks to not read them.

So as I see it the extra time announcing the month's books would not be any benefit to me.

This month I had already read two of the selection before the beginning of the month. One that was recommended by someone and one that I had read other books by that author.

There have been months when I haven't read any of the month's choices.

I see the monthly choices as a suggestion to try something else - somebody has already read them and recommended them. It depends who recommends them - there are a few people here that like a lot of similar books to me - if they recommend a book I am more likely to try something that I would otherwise be unsure about.

message 42: by Gary (new)

Gary Murning | 46 comments Gingerlily (or Cyberlily..) wrote: "As in the Underpants-on-head photo?"

Amongst other things, yes ;-)

message 43: by Elle (last edited Sep 18, 2012 07:10AM) (new)

Elle (louiselesley) | 7913 comments Not to let you all feel unloved, but this isn't the only group on goodreads I'm a big part off and I have a ton of other stuff going on most of the month so I appreciate the extra time.

Our books generally get shoved to 'if i have time' pile which i never do because i always have more pressing challenges. i do want to read them but i schedule my months in advance (i'm just an organised dork) so if i don't know the books i won't schedule it in

message 44: by Leanne (last edited Sep 19, 2012 10:41AM) (new)

Leanne (littlebunnylibrary) I am new to this group but am having trouble getting going - I am waiting for next month's group reads before I start gettting involved in book discussions. Can you tell me when they will be announced please?

Through this post and through exploring other ones too I have found out more useful information about the group, so I think it just takes a while to get your head round things!

Just a humble opinion from a newbie :)

message 45: by Philip (sarah) (new)

Philip (sarah) Willis | 5174 comments The new group reads are usually posted on the first day of the month Leanne.Have you read the thread How to get going in the group?
We tend to meet up in the Good Morning Thread and share general chit chat.We also dip in and out of the authors threads.The Just Finished Just Started Thread is great for giving and finding recommendations.My advice would be just dive in:@)

message 46: by Anita (new)

Anita | 3758 comments Hi Leanne, hope you will soon feel comfy joining in, we really are a friendly bunch. Just join in with whatever you like, we will be so pleased to get to know you on any of the threads you want to be part of.

message 47: by Leanne (new)

Leanne (littlebunnylibrary) hello Philip (sarah) and Anita, thank you for responding to my post :) I think this group is fairly relaxed in its approach in comparison to some groups, which I quite like - and people definitely do seem friendly! :)

May I ask - is it just authors who suggest books, or can members do it too? I am sorry if this info is posted somewhere in the group, if it is please do point me in the right direction!

message 48: by Kath (last edited Sep 22, 2012 01:06AM) (new)

Kath Middleton | 25093 comments Hi Leanne, readers certainly can recommend books - I've done it myself! Scroll down the main page past Meet the Authors and New Releases. It's just below New Releases. After a while you get the hang of this forum, and you're right; we're very relaxed. I think that's because we are all polite to each other. We actually like each other and when people are civilised you don't need many rules!

message 49: by Leanne (new)

Leanne (littlebunnylibrary) Thank you Ignite - yes I had seen that thread, but assumed it was just for recommending books we had read, not for suggesting group reads.

I think it will take me a while to get my head round everything as I don't have a great deal of time to spend on here (as much as I would love to spend all day here!).

Thank you to everyone who's pointed me in the right direction :)

message 50: by Karen (new)

Karen Lowe | 2336 comments Hi Leanne, hope you're now managing to find your way round. Must admit there is so much going on I don't always manage to 'keep up', but I do find the 'just finished just started' thread really useful for picking up on books I'd not come across.

« previous 1