UK Amazon Kindle Forum discussion

General Chat - anything Goes > When do you want to be ?

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Simon (Highwayman) (last edited Sep 12, 2012 02:11AM) (new)

Simon (Highwayman) (highwayman) | 4698 comments I am introducing a new holiday service now I have got my time machine working.

All group members are invited to take a year off in the past.

What year would you like to go to and why?

remember you will have to live in your chosen time for a whole year and try not to stand out too much.

Absolutely no mobile phones or kindles allowed.

Simon (Highwayman) (highwayman) | 4698 comments FREE limited edition 17th century Oak tree Lapel pin for the most interesting/thought provoking/amusing suggestion.

message 3: by Geoff (G. Robbins) (merda constat variat altitudo) (last edited Sep 12, 2012 02:56AM) (new)

Geoff (G. Robbins) (merda constat variat altitudo) (snibborg) | 9052 comments I would love to spend a year being apprenticed to Leonardo di ser Piero da Vinci. The sheer wonder of watching the great man as he thinks and works would be fabulous. I'd be a very poor apprentice though.

The problem is that I would be constantly be saying "oh, oh, I read about this".

And some idiots consider Stephen Fry a polymath because he talks a good talk. Idiots. Sorry, ranting again.

message 4: by Darren (new)

Darren Humphries (darrenhf) | 6980 comments Can I go back to the time of the Big Bang? I'll spend the year working at the Big Bang Burger Bar. Just think of the characters that I'd meet.

message 5: by Elle (last edited Sep 12, 2012 05:48AM) (new)

Elle (louiselesley) | 7913 comments I'd spend the year with Mozart. That crazy bitch could party and his music was spectacular.

message 6: by Lorraine (new)

Lorraine Versini (lorraineversini) | 8999 comments I'd go to the land before time... I fancy kicking some dinosaur ass !

message 7: by Lorraine (new)

Lorraine Versini (lorraineversini) | 8999 comments Hi everyone by the way !

message 8: by Elle (new)

Elle (louiselesley) | 7913 comments Lorraine - Lover of Jellybeans wrote: "Hi everyone by the way !"

*tackle hugs you*

Simon (Highwayman) (highwayman) | 4698 comments Where have you been Lorraine! I have been worried sick and Patti has been pacing the carpet waiting for you.

message 10: by Marc (last edited Sep 12, 2012 06:16AM) (new)

Marc Nash (sulci) | 7481 comments I would like to go back for a year to the time of James Joyce & Samuel Beckett hanging out together in Paris, Beckett playing piano & Joyce singing, although I'm not sure my liver could take it. Failing that, I'd hang out with William Burroughs in Marrakesh...

Or hang with Franz Kafka in Prague and the two of us could bitch about our fathers together, but only if I was magically imbued with the ability to speak fluent German and got to retain that ability once I'd returned to the present

message 11: by Lorraine (new)

Lorraine Versini (lorraineversini) | 8999 comments Sorry, Simon, I explained in the other thread, been a bit manic. Sometimes you feel totally bogged down with stuff, but when you look back you've done nothing. Weird feeling. Getting there though :) Got lots of catching up to do !

message 12: by Lorraine (new)

Lorraine Versini (lorraineversini) | 8999 comments Thanks Elle for the hugs x

Jay-me (Janet)  | 4325 comments Provided I was protected from any illnesses and diseases around at the time, have a supply of cash & my safe return could be guaranteed then I believe I would like to go back to 1841. A whole year should enable me to visit Wiltshire and track down my ancestors there, then I could ask great(many times) grandmother Elizabeth where in Scotland she was from and who her parents were. I would then call in to visit the ancestors in Somerset and Gloucestershire and fill in any missing details from them.
The next stop would be Sheffield where I would find out why great(many times) grandfather Jonathan wasn't on that year's census. Travel up visiting various other relatives throughout Yorkshire and track down great(many times) grandfather John in Leeds, find out where he was born and who his parents were. He should also be on that census somewhere.I should then be able to find out where he was before my first positive proof of his existence in 1866 when he was in his 30s.
Then I would go to civilised parts and meet all my ancestors on this side of the Pennines and track down my great (many times) grandfather Richard and find out where & when he was born, and hopefully have enough clues to find out where he disappeared to - I have only definite proof of his existence in 1818, 1837 and 1841 - before and after that he may well have been in outer space as I haven't been able to find anything else. I would end my visit by attending the wedding of my great-great-great grandparents James and Sarah.

message 14: by Alex (new)

Alex Hunter | 111 comments As long as I could remain 'outside it all', and didn't need any contemporary dental treatment, I'd like to go back to 1917/1918 and see how my father escaped from the bolshevik revolution after it decimated his family - then I'd come back and write the book.

message 15: by Jud (new)

Jud (judibud) | 18540 comments I don't know where/when I'd go...

message 16: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25063 comments I would like to choose who as well as when. I fancy myself in a Jane Austen novel, cutting out little patchwork shapes, drawing and painting miniatures, playing the pianoforte (but not skivvying in the kitchens, getting up at 4.00 to light the fires, scrubbing the flagstone floors - and so forth).

message 17: by Jud (new)

Jud (judibud) | 18540 comments I think I would suit a more traditional era like that as well. Where my job is to find a good husband (with a large fortune, naturally) and produce kids.

Gingerlily - The Full Wild | 36808 comments I would like to spend a year with Nikola Tesla. What a brain that guy had!

Geoff (G. Robbins) (merda constat variat altitudo) (snibborg) | 9052 comments Gingerlily (or Cyberlily..) wrote: "I would like to spend a year with Nikola Tesla. What a brain that guy had!"

I'd like to join you for that one one, GL. Can you arrange the tickets?

message 20: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25063 comments Not till she's re-installed the planet.

Gingerlily - The Full Wild | 36808 comments Ignite wrote: "Not till she's re-installed the planet."

Ah. There seems to be a problem with that. It may take a while. We apologise for the inconvenience.

message 22: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25063 comments I might have to take out a bit of time dead. (For tax purposes, of course)

Gingerlily - The Full Wild | 36808 comments Ignite wrote: "I might have to take out a bit of time dead. (For tax purposes, of course)"

Thats a very tempting idea.

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments I've been pondering this question.

There are many times in the past I'd like to see first hand.

I think my top would be Oldupai Gorge at the time the foot prints were laid down.

I have so many questions about that time that I'd love to have answered.
It's a stunning place.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olduvai_...

message 25: by Jud (new)

Jud (judibud) | 18540 comments I still don't know when I'd like to have been

message 26: by Alex (new)

Alex Hunter | 111 comments The more I think about this one, the more I realise how many possible aswers there are.

I still stand by my initial reaction (bolshevik revolution, 1917/1918) but I'd also love to have been there when Howard Carter first broke through into Tutankhamun's tomb in 1922. It took the next ten years to catalogue and remove the contents so staying for only one year would present problems - perhaps I could nip back to see the sarcophagus being opened?