Tierra Encantada Charter School discussion

Things Fall Apart (The African Trilogy, #1)
This topic is about Things Fall Apart
Engl. I(6th) > Chapter 4

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Tierra Encantada | 76 comments Mod
What are Okonkwo's virtues? what are his faults? What is Okonkwo's relationship with Ikemefuna like? what is the crime that causes Okonkwo to be reprimanded. What does it tell you about the values of the culture?

message 2: by Alistair (last edited Sep 27, 2012 02:42PM) (new) - added it

Alistair Fene | 16 comments The elders of the tribe decided that Ikemefuna should stay with Okonkwo for a year befor he was sentenced to death. Ikemefuna tried to run away once or twice, but he didn't know where to go. Okonkwo treated him as he did to everyone else and became very fond the boy. Ikemefuna evan called Okonkwo "Dad." , IKemefuma was to die and OKonwko was not to participate. Okonwko decided to kill him, by him self.

message 3: by Kathryn (new) - added it

Kathryn (kathycat) | 22 comments Alistair wrote: "The elders of the tribe decided that Ikemefuna should stay with Okonkwo for a while. Ikemefuna tried to run away once or twice, but he didn't know where to go. Okonkwo treated him as he did to ev..."

While Alister has the essence of the story, there is more. When the elders of the tribe decided to requisition Ikemefuna, they decided he should stay with Okonkwo. Ikemefuna stayed in Okonkwo's household with Nwoye's mother. Nwoye "became quite inseparable from him [Ikemefuna] because he seemed to know everything", page 28. Ikemefuna called Okonkwo father. Okonkwo was "very fond of the boy- inwardly of course... to show emotion was to show weakness",page 28. While Ikemefuna was there Okonkwo was reprimanded for beating his third wife during the Week of Peace.He got angry very quickly. The next year, the oracle ordered for Ikemefuna to be killed, Okonkwo was not to participate. Okonkwo killed Ikemefuna; he killed his son.

message 4: by Kristen (last edited Sep 20, 2012 02:21PM) (new)

Kristen | 24 comments Kathryn wrote: "Alistair wrote: "The elders of the tribe decided that Ikemefuna should stay with Okonkwo for a while. Ikemefuna tried to run away once or twice, but he didn't know where to go. Okonkwo treated hi..."

Kathryn and Alistair are correct in my opinion. Okonkwo was like a father to Ikemefuna. Okonkwo was punished for beating his wife during the Week of Peace. How ever they did not fully explain his strengths and weaknesses.On the plus side, Okonkwo was strong, responsible, and dependable. On the down side, he had no tolerance for those who were weaker or had less foresight than him - ( Ojiugo) went to her plait her hair at her friend's house and did not return early enough to cook the afternoon mea"..." when she returned he beat her very heavily", page 29. Okonkwo was punished for this because he broke the peace.

message 5: by Emily (new)

Emily | 16 comments Kristen wrote: "Kathryn wrote: "Alistair wrote: "The elders of the tribe decided that Ikemefuna should stay with Okonkwo for a while. Ikemefuna tried to run away once or twice, but he didn't know where to go. Ok..."

I agree with Kristen.

Okonkwos virtues are to be a successful man, and he also did not want to be like the men that resembled the women.His faults was that he contradicted the men who had no titles and he would kill their spirit. Okonkwo was beating his third wife while it was the week of piece.

message 6: by Kai (new)

Kai | 33 comments I like everyone's opinion. I think Okonkwo's iron will and determination to get a job done is a great gift, but he should learn to control it. For example, even when Okonkwo's wives plead him to stop, the book states:"Okonkwo was not the man to stop beating somebody half-way through, not even for fear of a goddess."

message 7: by [deleted user] (last edited Sep 16, 2012 06:17PM) (new)

Okonkwo is a man with many virtues and faults. A summary of them are that he has an exemplary determination, he's strong & self sustained but he also has very bad anger issues, he's usually haughty at times and he had absolutely no patience for the weak and unsuccessful. Ikemefuna is much like Okonkwo's son, he stayed with him after being given to Umuofia as part of a recompense for killing a women in their tribe. After a while Okonkwo became used to him and actually enjoyed having him in his household because he taught his son Nwoye to be manlier.
*I think Kristen adds on to the question very well, although the opinions of the values of the culture have not yet been stated. Okonkwo beat his wife during the peace of week which was sacred in honor of the goddess of the earth, during this time every one was nice and at peace with each other not even a harsh word was said to his neighbor. They held peace for an entire week so they could show respect to their goddesses and their crops would grow. It was unimaginable for Okonkwo to beat his wife during this time since the peace wasn't broken for many years. This was what made Okonkwo reprimand himself. On pages 30, 31 you can find a passage which can be important for this question,"The earth goddess whom you have insulted may refuse to give us her increase, and we shall all perish." "You will bring to the shrine of Ani tomorrow one she-goat, one hen, a length of cloth and a hundred cowries". I think this means some of their strongest values is religion, commitment to their goddess/gods and traditions. Their values are always centered around religion, strength and integrity.

message 8: by Sarai (new) - added it

Sarai Cisneros | 27 comments Okonkwo was a very strong, responsible, and had respect by others.Okonkwo might be a crewel man but his whole life was about fear, fear of failure and weekends. But he could not stand others who were "not like him" he he could be a Really angry man. To say that in the week of peace okonkwo beat his wife, ojiugo this was because she had left to plait her hair. Okonkwo's and Ikemefuna's relationship was like a father, son relationship. This is because the elders who decided where Ikemefuna would stay would be with Okonkwo. Ikemefuna stayed three years in his house hold.He would be staying with Nwoye's mother. Later on a group of elders from umuofia and said Ikemefuna was to get killed.

Zane Flannery | 27 comments Kai wrote: "I like everyone's opinion. I think Okonkwo's iron will and determination to get a job done is a great gift, but he should learn to control it. For example, even when Okonkwo's wives plead him to st..."

I completely disagree with Kai except for the part about Okonkwo needing to master his anger. parts of what he said made me start to agree with him until he ended with:"Okonkwo was not the man to stop beating somebody half-way through, not even for fear of a goddess." Kai also missed talking about how Ikemefuna was ordered to be killed and, in the end, Okonkwo was the one who killed the boy, even though they were verry close, causing Okonkwo to be verry sorrowful for the next few weaks.

message 10: by Isaiah (last edited Sep 16, 2012 03:52PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Isaiah Armijo | 28 comments Kai wrote: "I like everyone's opinion. I think Okonkwo's iron will and determination to get a job done is a great gift, but he should learn to control it. For example, even when Okonkwo's wives plead him to st..."

I agree with kai to an extent but have my own view of this. Okonkowo is very determined, tenacious, and strong but his determination makes him a very bitter and angry. person. His determination also makes his angry outbursts happen more often like when Achebe writes about the new yam feast."He would be much happier working on his farm. " Okonkwo is so determined to succeed that he would rather work and become more prosperous than feast and be lazy for almost a week. Yet this does not effect the relationship between Ikemefuna and Okonkwo. At first Okonkwo would beat Ikemefuna regularly, but the years past and Okonkwo grew to love Ikemefuna. Ikemefuna worked hard and did everything that Okonkwo said. Sadly Okonkwo took Ikemefuna's life , he was not order to but for some reason he did. Okonkwo became very dispersed and did no drink, sleep, or eat for almost a week. On peace week Okonkwo was punished for beating his wife. In Umuofia it is very frowned a pone to do so.

Marianne Lara | 26 comments Okonkwo is a very strong man, both mentally and physically. He can get past very tough times. He never gives up and he always finishes what he started. He is also very responsible. But Okonkwo also has some anger problems. he is very bitter. He gets frustrated with men who aren't successful. He has a very quick temper and ,when angered, he is quick to use his fists. He beats his wives and children when they make mistakes or if his children show signs of being like his father. Okonkwo is very fond of Ikemefuna, although he would never show it. But he still treated Ikemefuna like his family, "with a heavy hand." he would let Ikemefuna come along with him to "big village meetings and communal ancestral feasts" and carry his stool and goat skin bag, like a son would. Ikemefuna even called him father. When Okonkwo had to kill Ikemefuna, he was really sad and wouldn't eat or sleep for a few days. Okonkwo got punished for beating his wife on peace week. His culture is very religous and direspecting a goddess is very looked down upon.

message 12: by Molly (new)

Molly Malone | 27 comments Kristen wrote "Okonkwo was like a father to Ikemefuna. Okonkwo was punished for beating his wife during the Week of Peace. How ever they did not fully explain his strengths and weaknesses.On the plus side, Okonkwo was strong, responsible, and dependable. On the down side, he had no tolerance for those who were weaker or had less foresight than him - "( Ojiugo) went to her plait her hair at her friend's house and did not return early enough to cook the afternoon mea"..."when she returned he beat her very heavily", page 29. Okonkwo was punished for this because he broke the peace".

I think that her point is exactly right and answers the question. Another thing that Achebe says on pg 29 he says "Okonkwo knew she was not speaking the truth. He went back to his obi to wait Ojiugo's return. And when she did he beat her very heavily. In his anger he had forgotten that it was the week of Peace. His first two wives ran out in great alarm pleading with him that it was the sacred week. But Okonkwo was not the man to stop beating somebody half-way through, not even for fear of a goddess." This paragraph tells us that Okonkwo did not fear the goddesses as much as he should, Okonkwo's village was very religious and believed in that their village was guarded and looked after by goddesses. Disrespecting the goddesses was frowned upon and punished. This is why Okonkwo was punished after beating his wife in the Week of Peace. His virtues are that he is strict and reprimands his family with a tough hand. Achebe does not really tell us much about his faults, but one could say that one of them is he gets frustrated very easily and he is bitter. Okonkwo's relationship with Ikemefuna was iffy in the beginning because Ikemefuna did not know or trust Okonkwo yet. But in time towards the end Okonkwo came to think of Ikemefuna as his very own son and Ikemefuna thought of Okonkwo as a father like figure.

Xavier Benni | 26 comments His fault was that he beat his wife is the week of peace. His virtues is that he is a very strong man and a hard worker. I agree with both molly and Kathryn but I thought he kind of looked weak when the priestess came to his obi and lectured his about his wrong doings and he tried to defended himself as if he had done no wrong. He had committed a crime and should have taken it like the strong man he sees himself being. His relationship with his second wife Ikemefuna I think mainly revolves around her daughter Ezinma who Okonkwo is very fond of. She left her first husband to go and live with Okonkwo.

message 14: by Saul (new) - rated it 3 stars

Saul Saiz | 17 comments I agree with xavier becuase were xavier aays"he loogked weak when the priests came to his obi" I think he ind of looked weak because he thoght he was stronger theb he was. He was a strong man,but when thutee preists came he tried to defend him self like if he dint do any harm.But he did.do a crime and he had to be punished but think he had to take it like a man,if he was such a strong man. I think hia relationship with his second wife was only because of his dauther becausehe was very fond of.

Benhanna | 27 comments Kai wrote: "I like everyone's opinion. I think Okonkwo's iron will and determination to get a job done is a great gift, but he should learn to control it. For example, even when Okonkwo's wives plead him to st..."
I think that Kai is right about his determination and how it is a great attribute. And i agree with how his alts are that he can't control his temper an how his determination can lead to catastrophic out comes " Okonkwo was not one to stop a beating part way through " Okonkwo likes Ikemufuna but never really shows it . Okonkwo breaks the peace week by beating his wife because she plating her hair instead of cooking lunch, so even though she was "in the wrong" Okonkwo was scolded by the priest. I think that thy respect there gods and value there colter and rules .

message 16: by Samara (last edited Sep 28, 2012 02:09PM) (new) - added it

Samara | 15 comments Vanessa wrote: "Okonkwo is a man with many virtues and faults. A summary of them are that he has an exemplary determination, he's strong & self sustained but he also has very bad anger issues..."

I agree with Vanessa on were she says that he has really bad anger issues. I like how she says that that he is a man with many virtues and faults.

message 17: by Tristan (new)

Tristan Sena | 26 comments Kristen wrote: "Kathryn wrote: "Alistair wrote: "The elders of the tribe decided that Ikemefuna should stay with Okonkwo for a while. Ikemefuna tried to run away once or twice, but he didn't know where to go. Ok..."

I completely agree with all three of them because he is a man who gets easily angered and he also has a bond with Ikemefuna that he doesn't have with his other kids. his virtues are manly his strength and his work ethics. his faults are his temper and his issues with failure and weakness.

message 18: by Mona (new)

Mona Chavarria | 29 comments Okonkwo is a very traditional man . But he was considered a horrible person after Beating one of his wives during the week of peace. But Okonkwo was very infuriated and was so wild up that he forgot it was the week of peace. His first two wives ran scared waking up neighbors.