The Sword and Laser discussion

Foundation (Foundation, #1)
This topic is about Foundation
2012 Reads > FOUND: (see map)

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Ruth (tilltab) Ashworth | 1861 comments I was just starting reading part 2, when I read something which made me really angry, perhaps irrationally so. To make it worse, the offensive words came in the first sentence: "Terminus... It's location (see map)"... Was I the only person to quickly scout for a map? Was I alone in failing to find one? Am I the only one who finds this horribly annoying? Granted, the mention comes in the fake encyclopedia entries in italics at the top, so I should probably not have expected anything...but, but, it said "see map" and, well, now that it's been mentioned, I'd really rather like to. GIVE ME MY MAP!

Ah, that feels better! :D Anyone else have little pet hates like this?

Steve Mary | 10 comments It didn't bother me. I think that this "(see map)" was written only for the Encyclopedia Galactica, and makes the encyclopedia more real.

In fact, it points out that, in the far future, Terminus is a very isolated and unknown planet. I think that a map of the Galaxy in 3D wouldn't help us to locate anything (I know, my astronomical sense of orientation is so poor :D )

John (johnbrock) | 33 comments If it did contain a map it would likely have to be 3D and none of us would be able to read it.

Rainer Dela Cuesta (delacuesta) | 28 comments I fell for it too :(

Ruth (tilltab) Ashworth | 1861 comments Thank goodness! I was starting to think it was just me. :D